Prime-able Power Nodes

remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
edited May 2014 in Modding
Introducing... Prime-able Power Nodes!!

primednodes.jpg
This mod prevents players from accidentally powering up a room. If there are no structures to power the power node won't be able to be completed UNLESS the player confirms his intent (by toggling his flashlight)

"This solves my favorite Noob Trap. Very nice" ~Benson

Features
- Power node construction can not be completed unless there is a building that requires power or unless a player toggles their flashlight to override it and unlock it
- There are informative banners that come up indicating how to unlock the node to help teach the new mechanic
- Auto-Construct way points now prioritize build order correctly (Power to 99, build structure, finish off power)
- MACs also prioritize priming a power node over building the structure
- MACs will not finish the power until after a built structure requires power or unless the commander directly orders them to complete it after it is primed

If you encounter issues, please grab your log from %appdata%/natural selection 2/log.txt and post it somewhere so I can look at it and fix the issues.

Forum thread for this mod is here: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/134801/prime-able-power-nodes

ID: f5dee37

Check it out here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257814071

One thing that seems to come up with any inexperienced player joining a server is the tendency to complete building power nodes when there is nothing to power. The auto-construct waypoint mechanic is a huge reason why this occurs, but as well as that the higher-level strategy (build powernode to 85-95%, build structure, complete powernode) needs to be explained to every new player. This annoyed me. This mod fixes the auto-construct waypoints to not tell new players to finish power nodes when they shouldn't be, and also prevents them from finishing the power when they are correctly building the power node first. This also will give a player a waypoint to prime the power before touching any structures, so new players if they blindly follow the auto-waypoints will be playing like a pro.

I didn't want to block any functionality, in case someone actually had reason to finish a powernode with no structure around, so I built in a workaround--toggle your flashlight and it will unlock for you for a short amount of time so that you can complete it.

Both of these situations indicate how to unlock the powernode with banners on the screen that say either...
FINISH BUILDING STRUCTURES FIRST - FLASH TO OVERRIDE
...or...
NO STRUCTURES TO POWER - FLASH TO OVERRIDE

edit: Updating with current description from Workshop, updating to reflect flash to unlock instead of hit to unlock
edit2: Updating with the current banner messages, and fixing the image

Comments

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This solves my favorite Noob Trap. Very nice
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Benson wrote: »
    This solves my favorite Noob Trap. Very nice
    Precisely. :)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Will this be mixed in with ns2+ or remain stand alone?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2014
    Stand-alone for now.

If this gets widespread acceptance I am open to integrating it into NS2+

edit:

Woops, I had published a broken version. Workshop version is fixed again. :)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited May 2014
    Clever solution to a common cause of rookie flaming. Will install on my servers.

Ironically, when UWE turns their focus away from NS2, a lot more features are added. Thank you.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Clever solution to a common cause of rookie flaming. Will install on my servers.

Ironically, when UWE turns their focus away from NS2, a lot more features are added. Thank you.

Not breaking everything every two weeks allows the modding community to take over.
    edited May 2014
    I'm considering switching the unlock override to require toggling the flashlight instead of hitting the node to make it a bit easier when you're using a welder or any weapon other than a rifle due to concerns from comp players.

p.s. While investigating, I came across this comment:
    // Note: Flashlight is powered by Marine's beating heart. Eco friendly.

edited May 2014
    Update pushed.
    - Flashlight overrides now instead of hitting.
    - MACs can be ordered to complete power.
    - Primed nodes are visible to commanders.

Updated OP too.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Psyke wrote: »
    I'm considering switching the unlock override to require toggling the flashlight instead of hitting the node to make it a bit easier when you're using a welder or any weapon other than a rifle due to concerns from comp players.

p.s. While investigating, I came across this comment:
    // Note: Flashlight is powered by Marine's beating heart. Eco friendly.

No wonder I get winded so easily as a marine.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited May 2014
    This is needed in pubs and maybe in pugs (accidents?).

EDIT: Actually instead, the commander should just stop dropping power nodes where they're not needed.
    edited May 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    EDIT: Actually instead, the commander should just stop dropping power nodes where they're not needed.
    That doesn't cover the typical case (which my mod does). General best practice is to prime the power, build the structure, and finish the power. There are many ways a rookie will screw this up and time will need to be taken from the game to flame/explain.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Is there an option to auto-prime all power nodes? I would imagine manually clicking every time would be a bit tedious.
    What do you mean? You mean for the commander to socket them?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Now I can just prime every node on the map without worry at game start :D
    Published:
    - Add lock/unlock sounds
    - Override lasts a little longer
    - Requires toggling the flashlight on and off within 400ms to override instead of single-press (to isolate this case from just turning the flashlight on normally)
    edited May 2014
    coolitic wrote: »
    Is there an option to auto-prime all power nodes? I would imagine manually clicking every time would be a bit tedious.
    What do you mean? You mean for the commander to socket them?
    aeroripper wrote: »
    Now I can just prime every node on the map without worry at game start :D
    Assuming you're both talking about the same thing... I thought about that and decided that although aero is right and you COULD socket every node at the start, many coms wouldn't want to do that because they would rather not have a marine waste his time priming the landing pad power node. Also, the auto-waypoints are actually accurate/useful again and if a node is socketed that doesn't really need to be primed, it would still give the marine an order and if they didn't do it, other auto-orders would be effectively muted.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nice work!
    Now I wonder if it would be possible to make marine blue prints work like in Starcraft (no collision, with buildability checked when a marine starts constructing).
    Nice work!
    Now I wonder if it would be possible to make marine blue prints work like in Starcraft (no collision, with buildability checked when a marine starts constructing).
    I haven't played enough Starcraft to know what you mean. Can you explain some more about how it works, and why it would benefit NS2?
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I don't think that would work too well. A marine could stand inside an armory and build, and aliens wouldn't be able to attack him! XD
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    You wouldn't because you can't build it with a marine inside it.
    Pushed another update. Sounds weren't always playing if more than one power node was primed. Now it will only play sounds if you are in the same room.
    Small update - Changing banners to both mention the override mechanic
    One more update - making primed nodes visible to all players, regardless of team.
  • kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    edited May 2014
    looks like an interesting and well executed idea.

the problem with this is that marines leave power nodes unfinished too much. when you're first getting into higher level ns2 often people get the impression that you should never finish a power node, but really not finishing is only a good idea probably less than half the time. i'm assuming this is a server-wide thing, and not something each user gets to choose in their own game options? this seems like it would be an inconvenience, and i wouldn't want to play on a server where it's forced upon me.

this whole not finishing power nodes thing really is overblown. maybe i'm just too out of touch with pub play.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014
    Nice work!
    I haven't played enough Starcraft to know what you mean. Can you explain some more about how it works, and why it would benefit NS2?
    The "hologram" blueprint (SC2 style) differs to the current NS2 blueprints in that, SC2 blueprints are holograms, that both teams can pass thru and shoot through. Only (the friendly team) marines can interact with these holograms, by "using" them to initiate the construction, after which they materialize, and behave just like the current unfinished structures.

However, unlike the current NS2 blueprints, Marines, bullets and projectiles would not be physically blocked by them, and the blueprints do not vanish when touched by aliens.

A check would need to be performed (for a second time, after it's placed by the commander) when a marine first "uses" a hologram, to re-check that there is nothing blocking the construction site.

kmg wrote: »
    looks like an interesting and well executed idea.

the problem with this is that marines leave power nodes unfinished too much. when you're first getting into higher level ns2 often people get the impression that you should never finish a power node, but really not finishing is only a good idea probably less than half the time. i'm assuming this is a server-wide thing, and not something each user gets to choose in their own game options? this seems like it would be an inconvenience, and i wouldn't want to play on a server where it's forced upon me.

this whole not finishing power nodes thing really is overblown. maybe i'm just too out of touch with pub play.

This adds one new skill for people to learn to continue finishing power nodes early, but fixes the current status quo. Technically it is never a good idea to finish the node first IN CASE you die. There are many places where the higher level players know they can get away with finishing it early -- if it's close enough to their base, if the aliens are all on the other side, if you have enough people to defend even if aliens come at you, etc. The problem is not with higher-level play, it's with teaching the newer players the "correct" way to do it. There are always exceptions, but when commanding with this mod on the server I never had to say "and don't finish the power" nor take time to explain why not to do that to a rookie. It's just handled.

The added skill for players to learn that I alluded to is the override mechanic. You can always always always finish a power node regardless of what is going on. All you need to do is double-tap your flashlight key and it will unlock. I'd love some more ideas on how I could communicate this better, but I do still think that having this bit of esoteric knowledge to learn is better than the entire power node design being so esoteric.

And yes, this is primarily for pubs, not for comp, although it does make priming a power node easier with multiple people because you don't need to worry about accidentally finishing it.
    edited May 2014
    I admire the work Psyke has done. However I do believe the whole "delay the power node" problem is the symptom of an outdated design.

Destroyed Power Nodes were made difficult to repair in order to increase the sales of Welders. Now that Welders have more purposes (such as repairing regular armor as well as Exos), in addition to the fact that Power Nodes have a downtime during which they cannot be repaired, I think Node repair need not to be so painfully slow.

Indestructible Power Nodes overcomplicates the game, and confuses new players on both teams. They cause more problems than they address.

By simply speeding up the repair rate of Power Nodes, and make incomplete Nodes destructible like other structures, the power node game become a lot simpler and less of an unnecessary learning burden.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I admire the work Psyke has done. However I do believe the whole "delay the power node" problem is the symptom of an outdated design.

Destroyed Power Nodes were made difficult to repair in order to increase the sales of Welders. Now that Welders have more purposes (such as repairing regular armor as well as Exos), in addition to the fact that Power Nodes have a downtime during which they cannot be repaired, I think Node repair need not to be so painfully slow.

Indestructible Power Nodes overcomplicates the game, and confuses new players on both teams. They cause more problems than they address.

By simply speeding up the repair rate of Power Nodes, and make incomplete Nodes destructible like other structures, the power node game become a lot simpler and less of an unnecessary learning burden.

But on the other hand, it makes some kind of twisted sense - the power node is the ONLY thing you can repair with your build tool (= doesnt require a welder). Apparently, a welder is superior. So it kinda feels right that it repairs faster.

Don't forget, blueprints are built faster with welders, too.

I believe that one is false. There was a big thread on that a little while ago. Its always a good idea to use your welder, but it does not speed it up.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    james888 wrote: »

I believe that one is false. There was a big thread on that a little while ago. Its always a good idea to use your welder, but it does not speed it up.
    Are you sure? ;)