Reinforcement program... how long will it last?

LordDraxLordDrax Southampton Join Date: 2014-02-17 Member: 194094Members
Pretty much the title. Is it likely to still be running at the end of march?

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yes, they said a few months back that there is no end date presumably until the goal is reached.
  • LordDraxLordDrax Southampton Join Date: 2014-02-17 Member: 194094Members
    Thanks! I really want to contribute, but my budget is a bit tight next month. I don't want to miss out entirely!
  • justbob333justbob333 Join Date: 2013-03-01 Member: 183502Members
    it will go on till ns3 then start back up.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Replace Reinforced with WC Donation program.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    There is some discussion around UWE about ending the program soon, though we haven't made an absolute decision yet. We will give warning before it closes!
  • AceOfTitaniumAceOfTitanium Portugal Join Date: 2014-01-18 Member: 193270Members
    Pls, don't end it until the next year!
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    But if it ends, we can have the Dropship donation program ;-)

EDIT: woohoo, past 200 posts.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    It should end when it reaches the goal. Gives everyone a chance to support it eventually, I don't see why you would end it prematurely unless the perks were going to be resisted for micro-transactions. There isn't even Shadow Fade/Onos yet. :P

Honestly, taking down the program would pretty much say the game is done.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Don't do it. :<
    I want to put my money in but I need to see some more effort on the Linux front before I can justify dropping $70 on it. Still doesn't run on any of my AMD cards with any version of fglrx, can only run in a window and still gets a lot of CTDs and random other errors. Had to downgrade to my old 560ti to play. :(

If you can just get the AMD thing and the lack of fullscreen sorted out that'd probably be enough for me but I haven't seen the effort I expect yet. Let me know if you're still working on it, I'd appreciate it.
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »
    There is some discussion around UWE about ending the program soon, though we haven't made an absolute decision yet. We will give warning before it closes!
    seems crazy to consider ending it, before Christmas it was only just over 200k and now its 220k+.

@hugh you should add a option to create team emblems like the ones for the wc. £50 to create and then £10 to buy. 6+ in each team, that's at least £110 :]
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I definitely think it would not be a good idea to end it. People still seem to be supporting it at a rate that I even find surprisingly high given so many circumstances.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    It seems daft closing down any stream of revenue but the threat of never being able to get an item will cause a rush of purchases. Gimmie rare stuff... RAH! 8-}
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited February 2014

@Hugh I'm going to assume that you're being honest here and its not just a "better hurry, cuse it might not last much longer rotfl loool" incentive.

Truth be told, unless you plan on replacing it with something else, even I (a person that wasn't exactly thrilled about the way Reinforced was introduced) don't see much point in taking it down. If sending out parcels with physical merchandise is the issue then reworking the tiers to leave just the digital rewards should still make them appealing to most people that intended to throw some cash at Reinforced anyway.
    As long as there aren't any major drawbacks that I may not be aware off, I see no sense to cut off a system that generates additional funding and in most cases pushes the purchase of NS2 over the AAA tier of pricing (lets face it, shadow is by far the most popular tier and thats hardly a bad thing).

Its pure cosmetic non invasive DLC that currently generates next to no community backlash. Discontinuing without a substitute would be a bizzare business decision to say the least.
    Once again, bare in mind that this is coming from someone that wasn't exactly fond of the idea in the first place.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I would guess that the shadow skins etc could become available as steam purchases, but not the badges. Makes sense to me as many people would love to have the skins, but dont really want to pay 70$ for them
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    "Why would you stop people from throwing money at you?"

-Founder of humble bundle (awesome guy) to Hugh, regarding the Onos tier.

Somehow that quote still applies! Hehe
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Somehow that quote still applies! Hehe

Well, you've taken John's quote out of context. There are many potential reasons why accepting someone's money could be a very bad idea. No absolute decision on the future of the Reinforcement Program has been made, but at the core we feel it has been an outstanding success so far, I am thrilled that many people are supportive of its continuation, and UWE will carefully consider any decision about its future.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    There are many potential reasons why accepting someone's money could be a very bad idea.

While this is certainly true, I don't see how it would be for the reinforced program.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @hugh
    Yes, I most definitely took it out of context.. but i felt the quote reflected my own opinion on this matter too much to not use it. :-P
    The way i see it, as long as the system is automatic it shouldn't be any sweat off UWE's back to just let it continue. But I have no idea whether this is the case or not. ( i know for the Onos tier it was not)
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The program made no promises for future development. Only that if you buy "x" package you get "x" rewards. Not sure why continuing to allow people to claim those rewards by donating would be a bad thing. I guess if there is a cost of maintaining the donation system but beyond that let the players pay stuff if they want to.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, I can't claim to fully understand the cost of the reinforcement program vs the revenue being generated by it, but the way I see it if players are willing to donate money UWE should be willing to accept it. I don't see how shutting it down would do anything but prevent them from making some money. But if it there is a cost to maintain the program then I could see how they might one day shut it down
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Honestly, I'd be happy to extend my support to onos tier (I donated at every level below that) without the physical assets.

Say the first 25 onos donors got the limited edition goodies, but later donors at that level wouldn't get the book or poster (or bot name if that is also much effort to maintain).
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    What @Hamlet said, a thousand times.

I say: The day the daily cost of hosting and maintaining the reinforced website/stuff costs more than the average daily income generated by donations, shut it off. But not earlier.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I honestly think the best solution would be to announce that reinforced ends in a month or so and then create a DLC for the skins (specially shadow). I think they would make much more money if the skin dlc would be something like 5-10$ instead of having to pay 70$ right now. Throw in a shadow fade+onos and it will be perfect.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2014
    I'd donate $75 again if they released a Shadow Fade skin. That's how bad I want it.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Hamlet, neither do I until I got NS2. The dev team is so awesome (and so is the game), that I put in $75 for the Reinforce prog. Making this game cost over $100AUD for me (my most expensive STEAM game). Yet I don't feel ripped off. Its how you perceived the experience I guess. I think being honest about what you are offering is important. It is that level of trust you build with the fans that enables you to say to them, will you give us money for something that is intangible. How to do it right: UWE. How to do it wrong: EA.
    How to do it wrong: EA.
    Don't forget Activision.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    NeXuS wrote: »
    How to do it wrong: EA.
    Don't forget Activision.

I really rather would, thanks.

• pipilzpipilz france Join Date: 2014-02-26 Member: 194372Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    Maybe Shadow fade and onos, an elite weapon skin for the lmg, shotgun or pistol, your choice ! A reinforcement badge when the goal is reached ?

Because exclusive taunt "kill em all" dont work for me, i have already the soundtrack with the deluxe edition. ok just for 4 songs and more old cut tracks.
    I cant find what is the UWE's secret project access on twitter...

i think shadow is a lot more expensive for 75$, but reinforcement program is a very good idea :)

its not a post for whining or whatever ist just a realistic post !