Spectate full games, anytime (and choose voicecomms)

WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited October 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
This won't interest everyone, but I wanted to share, because it's something I very much enjoy, and I'm hoping others will, too. This is wordier than I would have liked, but it gives you everything you need to partake.

TGNS lets you watch full games, and you choose which team voicecomms you want to hear using our "Spec Voicecomms" menu (six options, changeable at any time: marines only, aliens only, both teams only, spectators only, all players on the server, or none at all). We allow up to 6 concurrent spectators during our 8v8 games.

I mention this here for two reasons: 1) I really, really enjoy watching coordinated, knowledgeable players play epic, hard-fought games and 2) I know that, while playing is everyone's first choice, circumstances occasionally make watching preferable. I've heard several regulars express additional motivation to do well when there are spectators, so that's another benefit.

We have several regulars who often stream Captains Games, too, from Spectate.

Always optional, hearing the voicecomm of both teams can be overwhelming at first, but it's very exciting once you're used to it. I've always wanted to hear the voicecomms of the teams during comp play, and TGNS is the closest I get to that.

If a player leaves, dropping out of Spectate to play is optional, not required. Remarkably, we've not had a problem with players perceiving abuse in these situations (we deal with the rare abuse swiftly).

By default, the server won't let you connect unless it's convinced an actual /gameplay/ slot is available for you. If you want to join the server when no gameplay slot is available, you can opt-in to FullSpec (you'll have to sign in via Steam), which teaches the game server to let you connect (and then spectate) during full games (when no gameplay slot is available).

Our reserved slots design upsets folks due to how it bumps folks from gameplay. Connecting to spectate never bumps anyone from a team, and you cannot get bumped /from/ Spectate when you're watching.

Note: the server will not allow you to join Spectate if either of the following is true: 1) there are already 6 spectators or 2) there is a gameplay slot available and gameplay has begun.

TGNS is Tactical Gamer Natural Selection, and you can find our servers in the server browser beginning with "TacticalGamer.com".

Comments

• casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Great to see that you guys are taking the initiative with this. Love of the game is what led me to being a caster, hopefully this will be a good way for aspiring casters to practice their craft!
  • Infinity_XInfinity_X USA Join Date: 2013-12-17 Member: 190195Members
    I recently joined a server with spectator all talk on, and it was extremely interesting to watch. I'll definitely be seeking and favoriting servers with this feature enabled. I'll check for some of the TGNS servers. Thanks for notifying us of the availability!