New Alien Vision

Comments

• NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Huze wrote: »
    FYI I updated Minimal Alien Vision to be toggleable again.

And made an Old Alien Vision mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201163952

Give this man a cookie.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ots wrote:
    UNLESS, removing alienvision from consistency somehow lets you use random hacking programs or other variants, i really dont understand why the comp scene hasnt been advocating just removal of the whole thing from NSL. Or isn't already.

oooh, the glimmer of a lightbulb do I detect?

As I said very clearly in my previous post, which you either failed to read, or failed to understand, as per pretty much every other post in this damned thread, you CANNOT REMOVE ALIEN VISION MODS FROM CONSISTENCY IN COMP MATCHES.

Therefore, as I have been advocating this entire ****ing time, we need the CHOICE in vanilla so that you can have the sh*tty current vision that you say you like, and I don't have to suffer from the headaches that normal alien sight gives me but can instead use a vanilla OPTION of a different alien vision/sight.
    Ots wrote:
    Guess it's easier to just sit on your arse and whine?
    Moron.
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    fuck yeah! hail Huze
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @huze the old vision mod is great. The minimal vision defaults to off and it's quite difficult to tell whether it's on or not. Every time you evolve you have to test to see if it's on. Any chance you could make it default on? Or maybe make a separate version which can't be turned off like before to satisfy everyone :)
    Awesome work btw, @sewlek please get these mods both as vanilla options in the menu!!
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    Roobubba wrote: »
    As I said very clearly in my previous post, which you either failed to read, or failed to understand, as per pretty much every other post in this damned thread, you CANNOT REMOVE ALIEN VISION MODS FROM CONSISTENCY IN COMP MATCHES.
    Yawn... And i'm saying you can. Let's see which is going to happen in the future. I'm sure the we'll have a community full of hackers in the competitive scene after that as well. /facepalm

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    NeXuS wrote: »
    FYI I updated Minimal Alien Vision to be toggleable again.

And made an Old Alien Vision mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201163952

Give this man a cookie.

he deserves more than a cookie... but i don't think he'd want it coming from me.
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    @huze the old vision mod is great. The minimal vision defaults to off and it's quite difficult to tell whether it's on or not. Every time you evolve you have to test to see if it's on. Any chance you could make it default on? Or maybe make a separate version which can't be turned off like before to satisfy everyone :)
    It puts a highlight around your view model to help tell if it's on.
    I don't want to have to manage a bunch of different mods that are just variations on how toggling works. When Andi puts out multiple alien visions I'll make one require toggle and one always on.

If you want to make your own, you could edit my code and just replace
    if (amount == 0) {
        return inputPixel;
    }

with
    if (amount > 0) {
        return inputPixel;
    }

• JakeFromStateFarmJakeFromStateFarm USA Join Date: 2013-12-06 Member: 189833Members
    I also miss the original alien vision, but, I never had it off, it was immediately turned on and green when I spawned. I basically never went without it. Now, I NEVER have it on when unless its really dark, and its temporary. I LOVE the mods that some servers have the alien vision_reborn or whatever, where its green and blue!
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    I don't want to have to manage a bunch of different mods that are just variations on how toggling works. When Andi puts out multiple alien visions I'll make one require toggle and one always on.

if (amount == 0) {
        return inputPixel;
    }

with
    if (amount > 0) {
        return inputPixel;
    }

Thank you for this workshop item, but I was under the impression that they no longer check the files when doing the consistency check? The mod only seems to be working on a few servers.
  • OtsOts Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18577Members, Constellation
    You are correct, the server admins need to remove the consistency check for the alienvision, they removed it from the default config. But since most just update the game and use their own configs, you wont be able to use custom alienvisions. I'd say maybe half of the public servers you can use custom alienvision atm. It's just a wait and see for people to catch up to this. Or wait for UWE to give an actual solution to the problem. Which ever comes first.
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    @Huze

There is a border in the old AV mod also, is it the same thing? How to turn it off? :P
  • HuzeHuze Insightful Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22724Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Reubot wrote: »
    @Huze

There is a border in the old AV mod also, is it the same thing? How to turn it off? :P
    You mean a border like this? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=201510423

This is only happening for some people; not sure what's causing it.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Awesome work btw, @sewlek please get these mods both as vanilla options in the menu!!

+1. default off everytime I spawn sucks bro. Yes I am lazy.
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    PaLaGi wrote: »

Spawning isn't my problem. It reverts to default when evolving as well. I'm lazy as well.
    default off isn't a problem, the knowing if the server allows it is. it's always a pleasant surprise when I have non-eye cancer. so, fun, almost a game in itself, finding out if you'll enjoy aliens or not.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    not usable in WC, no point using it.
    nezz wrote: »
    not usable in WC, no point using it.

don't play competitive. but I understand the point. on the other hand, small victories, role wasn't built in a day.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited December 2013
    Alien vision haiku:

Tales of blind bowmen
    grossly exaggerated
    they cannot hit shite.
    PaLaGi wrote: »

He gave instructions on how to do it, it's rather simple.

1. Go to start
    2. Run
    3. Type in "%appdata%" without the quotation marks
    4. Select Natural Selection 2 Folder
    5. Select Workshop folder
    6. Select folder mbfd84b0_1386300528
    (I'm not sure if these folder names are static or dynamically created, so it might be different. The way I found it is to sort by Date and look for the date you downloaded it on. The folder will have an image named av_preview that shows the modded vision.)
    7. Select shaders folder
    8. Open up DarkVision.hlsl file with a text editor
    9. Now follow the instructions given:

if (amount == 0) {
        return inputPixel;
    }

with
    if (amount > 0) {
        return inputPixel;
    }

• Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hate to bring this thread back from the dead but @sewlek whatever happened to the "minimal alien vision?" It's been several builds since you said this:
    Sewlek wrote: »
    i was spending a lot of time thinking about this topic, and trying to find a way how to please every player. My conclusion now is that its impossible, to create 1 screen effect that everyone likes. So i went ahead and added a new menu option for next patch: "full" and "minimal" alien vision. Minimal will be basically what has been requested in this thread, and the full vision mode will remain the current more cinematic version. for people who prefer different colors, there are still mods on steam workshop which will just work the same way in the new build as before (ie: they will NOT break)
    Uke's AV mod is amazing if you haven't tried it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202469435&searchtext=

This should be the standard.

NeXuS wrote: »
    Uke's AV mod is amazing if you haven't tried it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202469435&searchtext=

This should be the standard.

These mods are nice, but they only work on a certain servers.
    edited February 2014
    i was spending a lot of time thinking about this topic, and trying to find a way how to please every player. My conclusion now is that its impossible, to create 1 screen effect that everyone likes. So i went ahead and added a new menu option for next patch: "full" and "minimal" alien vision. Minimal will be basically what has been requested in this thread, and the full vision mode will remain the current more cinematic version. for people who prefer different colors, there are still mods on steam workshop which will just work the same way in the new build as before (ie: they will NOT break)

Please, next patch give us something as promised long ago. Still can't stand the current AV implementation.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    ns2isgood wrote: »

Please, next patch give us something as promised long ago. Still can't stand the current AV implementation.

I'm still surprised that Sewlek is wondering on how to please ppl?
    Anything different and closer to AV mod already done will be better.

The current AV ruined so much the game that when a server runs an AV mod we barely use it. Though these AV mods are clearly better.

AV mods have been whitelisted, so if you're still forced to use the orange death, shoot a message to the server ops?
  • clankill3rclankill3r Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62145Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Uke's av ftw.
    I'm wondering how many people would prefer a av change.
    Also i don't think old av is over powered. Aliens have often to come closer and marines can pick them of by distance.
    I still wait for the day the get rid of the eye hurting alien vision there is now.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2014

Minimal was "too good" and would result in the same reason why is was changed in the first place, so it was never added, and will not be added.
    edited February 2014
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Minimal was "too good" and would result in the same reason why is was changed in the first place, so it was never added, and will not be added.
    I came back to this thread to ask about the status because I was happy back then when you said there would be another less eye burning AV implemented officially. Disappointing to see now that it's not going to be an option.

Also glad that i caught you saying it. Wouldn't want to search through endless pages here to find the conclusion.