"Authentication Failed"

Erectemus_PrimeErectemus_Prime London Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189752Members
edited December 2013 in Technical Support
Hello
Whenever I try to play the game or join a server, it always comes up with the message "Authentication Failed" The screen will go black and it will begin to load, then it just returns to the home screen and pops up with "Authentication failed" - I can't see any servers on the server list, I have to use quick match. Nothing happens, it freezes for about 15 seconds then comes up with "Authentication Failed". There are no servers listed.

Things I've tried to fix it:

-Restarted PC
-Forwarded Ports
-Restarted Steam
-Verify Integrity of game Cache
-Reinstalled the Game
-Turned Firewall on and off, still nothing
-Checked Firewall settings, all good, nothing wrong
-Tried tons of different fixes too that were on the internet

I don't have any trouble on any other new games I bought today, just Natural Selection.

What else can I do?

Log

Tech_Support ZIP

Video of it

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Could you please post your log? Is steam running when you start ns2?
  • Erectemus_PrimeErectemus_Prime London Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189752Members
    Could you please post your log? Is steam running when you start ns2?

Yeah Steam is running when I start it
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • Erectemus_PrimeErectemus_Prime London Join Date: 2013-12-04 Member: 189752Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Restart steam.

I've restarted Steam several times, it doesn't do anything unfortunately.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That's what I get for not reading the whole post. Can you start a local server?
    That's what I get for not reading the whole post. Can you start a local server?

Nope, I can't do anything, it just gives the same message -
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This looks like a steam issue of some kind. Either steam servers were down when you tried, or some kind of comms error to the steam server is the issue. Such as a firewall blocking the steam ports required for NS2 to talk to the master server.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    That's weird, all I can say is check that steam is in online mode, and if so check that you can play any other games online (team fortress 2?)

ensure the firewall isnt blocking access

s5ze3m.png

try again in a few hours??
    Oh god, you use windows firewall?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Give it a few hours. Try making sure your firewall on both your computer and Router is set to allow gaming packets.

If everything fails, follow my Nuke From Orbit Guide.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis is correct, it's related to steam not the actual game.

I use to have this as well, but it fixed once I moved the game to a SSD in some mysterious way.
    edited December 2013
    Twig wrote: »
    That's weird, all I can say is check that steam is in online mode, and if so check that you can play any other games online (team fortress 2?)

ensure the firewall isnt blocking access

try again in a few hours??

Yeah I've tried that too, everything seems good on Firewall settings. I can run all games on Steam, just not Natural Selection. I can't find any servers at all.

http://puu.sh/5BZFO.png
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Give it a few hours. Try making sure your firewall on both your computer and Router is set to allow gaming packets.

If everything fails, follow my Nuke From Orbit Guide.

All my ports are forwarded and such for Steam and Natural Selection, still nothing - I just tried your guide too, still doesn't work :(
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    As noted above this basically means you tried to login to steam servers and they were either not there, or said no. The give away here should be that if steam friends is working fully you should be able to play ns2

I would try changing you steam download region, could be an issue with the servers you are authenticating to. Cant hurt right?
    edited December 2013
    Confused wrote: »
    As noted above this basically means you tried to login to steam servers and they were either not there, or said no. The give away here should be that if steam friends is working fully you should be able to play ns2

I would try changing you steam download region, could be an issue with the servers you are authenticating to. Cant hurt right?

Steam friends works fine, everything is up and running - I've tried switching download regions too, switched to several.
    It's weird though. I bought the game off the Humble Bundle, all the other games work fine that came with the Bundle, just not Natural Selection.
    edited December 2013
    Is there anything else I can do? I've been trying a few other things today like deleting everything in the steam folder and downloading it again, but that didn't work. I really want to play this game but I don't know what to do now, I've tried everything I can think of.
    I tried connecting with the "Connect" command with the console, it started connecting then quickly stopped.

5CpX0.jpg
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow

No, I'm just assuming that he does

No, I'm just assuming that he does

I do
    I use Avast! Anti virus too though
    Turn avast off and see if that helps. You'd be surprised.

I did, I also tried turning both Avast and Windows firewall off at the same time and tried connecting to a server, still doesn't work :/

I did, I also tried turning both Avast and Windows firewall off at the same time and tried connecting to a server, still doesn't work :/

Try uninstalling avast completely, may work
    Tried that too, done it a few times - I have no clue what to do now lol, ran out of options
    Ok I don't know much about it, but could a VAC ban have anything to do with this?
    Ok I don't know much about it, but could a VAC ban have anything to do with this?

Nope, my account is in good standing - never ever been banned on any games on Steam.
    sorry, i'm not very familiar with the effects of vac bans
    shit, I don't know.

You definitely followed obraxis's Nuke From Orbit Guide step by step?

and your firewalls are all good?

and there are no filters on the browser?

have you tried going through your friend list and going "join game" (if you have friends that play ns2)
    other than that I am personally unable to help you with anything....Sorry.
    shit, I don't know.

You definitely followed obraxis's Nuke From Orbit Guide step by step?

and your firewalls are all good?

and there are no filters on the browser?

have you tried going through your friend list and going "join game" (if you have friends that play ns2)

Yep, I tried that guide step by step.

Firewalls are all good, nothing is blocking the game - I even turned them all off, still nothing.

No filters either, no servers load and I can't even host a local server. It won't let me do anything :/

I don't have any friends who play NS2, so I can't try and join them. I've tried using the "Connect" command though in the console to try and connect to a server, it attempts to join then chucks me back to the main menu.
    edited December 2013
    I tried connecting to a server again, it said this:

5CBsN.jpg

Then it chucked me back to the main menu, giving the same "Authentication failed" message.

I tried hosting a local server and it just says this.

5CBtL.jpg
    That script error is making me think you have bad games files now. Go to steamapps\common\Natural selection 2\ns2\ Delete the "lua" directory, then verify the game in steam.
    That script error is making me think you have bad games files now. Go to steamapps\common\Natural selection 2\ns2\ Delete the "lua" directory, then verify the game in steam.

Still nothing :( -- gives the same errors