1 Year Anniversary of NS2...

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    duvel wrote: »

What did you want to tell us with that picture?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    hozz wrote: »
    There is a full fledged map editor and modability.
    It has it's own state of the art engine built to support the specific gameplay.

I agree with quite a lot from your post, but this made me laugh :)

Did you try working with the editor?
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
    It's ok, even if they don't have any big surprises, I do have one planned... not a tournament or requiring funds ;p
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2013
    Evil_Ice wrote: »
    It's ok, even if they don't have any big surprises, I do have one planned... not a tournament or requiring funds ;p

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=120855757&searchtext=

ab8626261b63ba9b55771f83c552eea7.png

The secret is out!

Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell your wife (or husband) and tell their friends too
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    @F0rdPrefect nothing, just a screenie i took back then :)
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    There is a full fledged map editor and modability.
    It has it's own state of the art engine built to support the specific gameplay.

I agree with quite a lot from your post, but this made me laugh :)

Did you try working with the editor?
    Yes I did :) It's certainly tedious due to lack of features, but not that bad. Hate the auto snapping though *rage*
    Sure, Quake/HL style BSP mapping (dragging the cuboids and then further manipulating, and dem patches) is sooooooooooooooooooo much easier, but it's an outdated concept (sadly... wish the spark editor would support something similar) and I still prefer to build maps in the editor instead of having to use a 3D modeler for nearly everything that is supposed to look good.

I think to really appreciate the engine, you need to try and recreate the NS2 aspects (FPS high detail shooter + RTS top down full map view) in another engine efficiently. I haven't worked much with modern engines (UE3, CE3) but my experience with older stuff tells me you can run into performance problems really fast if the engine isn't built for your specific use case.
    I think to really appreciate the engine, you need to try and recreate the NS2 aspects (FPS high detail shooter + RTS top down full map view) in another engine efficiently. I haven't worked much with modern engines (UE3, CE3) but my experience with older stuff tells me you can run into performance problems really fast if the engine isn't built for your specific use case.

Yes, I was just talking about the usability.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    8-10 days remaining!

what do you think they'll be adding or announcing for the 1 year anniversary?!!

another feature packed community oriented thing or something for the game?
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Maps, I presume. Probably Eclipse. Whatever happened to Discovery...

IronHorse wrote: »
    Ugh.. these forums..
    I knew i shouldn't have expected something positive just because the link sounded as such...
    Sigh.

I doubt you're going to read this, except you're a masochist :), but I'm writting it anyway.

For the longest time I was with you and couldn't understand the negativity towards the game and UWE. After all, everyone should see that they are working their asses off and pouring their hearts into the game. For free :x.
    The recent events have tipped me over though and I must say I'm a little pissed off atm. I still love the game and play it regularly, but "the big announcement" was a real let-down for me. The stuff Hugh posted were just outright lies and after the rage they caused within the community, he doesn't even have the balls to admit that he made a mistake.
    I'm really sorry for Wasabi and the other guys, I like their sense of humour and appreciate their efforts, but I'm just not interested.
    With this and the still existing marine jump, there's nothing I can say in defense of UWE anymore when it comes to people critizising their unbiasedness towards pub (majority of players) and comp (minority of players) play. They seem to only care for the latter, and that is really unbelievably stupid and detrimental to the game's longevity.

How you can expect benignancy from a thread that has "big announcement" written all over it, so shortly after that fauxpas, is really beyond me. This isn't directed towards you, or the game, I merely want to try to explain where part of that negativity is coming from.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    For the longest time I was with you and couldn't understand the negativity towards the game and UWE. After all, everyone should see that they are working their asses off and pouring their hearts into the game. For free :x.
    The recent events have tipped me over though and I must say I'm a little pissed off atm. I still love the game and play it regularly, but "the big announcement" was a real let-down for me. The stuff Hugh posted were just outright lies and after the rage they caused within the community, he doesn't even have the balls to admit that he made a mistake.
    I'm really sorry for Wasabi and the other guys, I like their sense of humour and appreciate their efforts, but I'm just not interested.
    With this and the still existing marine jump, there's nothing I can say in defense of UWE anymore when it comes to people critizising their unbiasedness towards pub (majority of players) and comp (minority of players) play. They seem to only care for the latter, and that is really unbelievably stupid and detrimental to the game's longevity.

How you can expect benignancy from a thread that has "big announcement" written all over it, so shortly after that fauxpas, is really beyond me. This isn't directed towards you, or the game, I merely want to try to explain where part of that negativity is coming from.

I really dont see how you could think that they only care for comp play. For example the marine jump problem you mentioned is already fixed in the BT mod, the mod where balance changes are tested before they become official.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited October 2013
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    8-10 days remaining!

what do you think they'll be adding or announcing for the 1 year anniversary?!!

another feature packed community oriented thing or something for the game?

Hopefully a large focus on balance and performance improvements, with additional content being an afterthought.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Hopefully a large focus on balance and performance improvements, with additional content being an afterthought.

Seeing the last patch, do you think this is not already the direction they are going? How would it be news then if they announcement "Next patch is going to have balance and performance improvements, just like the last patches"?
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Maps, I presume. Probably Eclipse. Whatever happened to Discovery...

i'm with kwisatz, but they dont work for free that's why i participated in reinfirced (plus the awesome gifts that they said would be mailed sept. 30.

they havent even emailed us onos purchasers to tell us what the new shipping date is or apologize for the delay.
    its just bad business.

so while i'm waiting for my poster tshirt and artbook hugh & uwe decide to do the whole big announcement thing that was yet another MAJOR let down and finally broke my trust. had hugh apologized and said what mistakes he had made i wouldve donated to the world championship tourn. but its clear now that so much time has passed he doesn't care about rebuilding trust he only cares about attracting a new audience for his marketing and sales.

once the sale is made he doesnt need to apologize just smile and pretend like everything is perfect...typical marketing guy.
    i thought he was more genuine than that and that UWE was a sincere & transparent developer of software but so far theyve ignored their chances to be transparent and sincere.

anyhoo, i hope the 1 year anniversary includes NS1 maps.
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    i'm with kwisatz, but they dont work for free that's why i participated in reinfirced (plus the awesome gifts that they said would be mailed sept. 30.

they havent even emailed us onos purchasers to tell us what the new shipping date is or apologize for the delay.
    its just bad business.

so while i'm waiting for my poster tshirt and artbook hugh & uwe decide to do the whole big announcement thing that was yet another MAJOR let down and finally broke my trust. had hugh apologized and said what mistakes he had made i wouldve donated to the world championship tourn. but its clear now that so much time has passed he doesn't care about rebuilding trust he only cares about attracting a new audience for his marketing and sales.

once the sale is made he doesnt need to apologize just smile and pretend like everything is perfect...typical marketing guy.
    i thought he was more genuine than that and that UWE was a sincere & transparent developer of software but so far theyve ignored their chances to be transparent and sincere.

Well you can see UWE finally moving into a different direction with not releasing builds before they are ready...so at least there is that. It amuses me that they gave so much information on why build 258 was late. Just tell us it isn't ready and we will understand. The community knows that UWE works hard and that resources are limited, so every deadline does not need to be met, especially if extending the deadline means better quality (which we saw with build 258). I know that I would rather have a reasonable deadline with a solid build rather than a forced deadline with a build that creates more problems than it tries to solve, which is what we have had up to 258

I bet they know the issues with the onos tier as well and someone has mentioned it but no one has gotten around to it. I guess my point is that in my opinion UWE is starting to move into a better direction and they realizing their mistakes and i'm sure you will eventually be more than satisfied with your onos tier purchase. I think the reason they are not coming off sincere and transparent is the constant updates to why things are going wrong. Everyone knows mistakes are made...just explain them without trying to be so topsy turvey about them...

But like I said UWE is on the right track and learning from their mistakes, and i'm confident that things can only get better from here.

I don't know why I just went on this rant
    well, im glad you did @jewbear
    thanks for chiming in bud
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    its just bad business.

Joohoo, I'm very sorry you have not yet received your Onos Tier goodies. Your timing is impeccable though, as you will imminently be receiving a confirmation email double checking shipping details. Believe it or not, my Monday was devoted entirely to Onos Tier organisation, and much of today will be too! The first law of crowdfunding is don't-do-physical-goods, and we're learning that lesson! But we happy that a very committed few will receive some cool stuff in the mail soon.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Desther wrote: »
    at least UWE & Hugh have another "big announcement" coming up in about 2 weeks that supposedly includes goodies or features for NS2.

Link to this?

Woops, double post, this one on topic! There is no 'big announcement' planned for the 1yr anniversary. There are some sweet goodies coming though, just not on the scale of Gorgeous or Reinforced. We shall celebrate this most wonderful of birthdays in style!
    Hugh, spreading enthusiasm as always :D
    @Hugh thanks for the updated info about those onos gifts - it was important to know its on uwe's radar - and we look forward to hearing about the "sweet goodies" as soon as yall are ready to tell
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I'm looking forward to rocking Eclipse again. :)
    moultano wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to rocking Eclipse again. :)
    id love that too but the original author hasn't posted in that thread for 8 months!
    ...maybe UWE has taken over that one?? anyone know for sure?

• Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    someone beat me to it
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Nah you don't. Not remade exactly as they were, at least. Have you ever played ns2_tanith, ns2_eclipse? Really not balanced for play in ns2. Not to say that it's not awesome to have some nostalgic maps, but really, they're not as fun as they sound like they would be. They need some real re-working to make em fun fun. Caged is dope and has had a lot of work done, but straight regurgitation of ns1 map layouts doesn't work imo.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So...am I the only one who REALLY wants Hera and not just Eclipse?
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    How about every year we get multi threading. 2 cores this year, 3 next year and so on lol.

My guess is we might see a new map but given how busy they have been I really do not expect that until the spring. Regardless my hopes are always for more optimizations to the game.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    How about every year we get multi threading. 2 cores this year, 3 next year and so on lol.

My guess is we might see a new map but given how busy they have been I really do not expect that until the spring. Regardless my hopes are always for more optimizations to the game.

I'd say we will still see one official map release this year. Maybe for christmas?
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Maybe for christmas?[/quote]
    SNOWBALLS
  • Evil_IceEvil_Ice Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29827Members, Squad Five Blue
  • NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited October 2013
    -Removed to keep hype train rolling-