If the Reinforcement Program is successful, what's next? And is that a good thing? (Discuss!)

Comments

• A_PajanderA_Pajander Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11695Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Wisp wrote: »
    I'd personally like to see new guns for the Marines. There are four primary weapons not counting Exos, one secondary weapon, a melee weapon and the welder. I think more variety would help. Especially since the grenade launcher and flamethrower seem like more specialized weaponry, leaving me playing with the shotgun and rifle most of the time. A big machine gun with a large clip and long reload time would be interesting, as well as a sub-machine gun with a small clip and high rate of fire. Perhaps also a revolver type weapon with a slow rate of fire and high damage output.

Sure, a few more guns would be nice, but they would need to fill some specific role (I think that was always emphasized in the design and I agree). If the HMG (inaccurate high damage sprayer) gets implemented I'm not sure what roles there would be left to fill. I can't see a snipery type being very useful in the game. Something that's just higher damage & slower rate of fire or vice versa doesn't seem very interesting to me in itself.

How about gun upgrades? Would a silencer be of any use at all? Motion tracker? Fire bullets? Then again, a chainsaw never hurt anyone...

Edit: A STAKE GUN THAT NAILS SKULKS AND LERKS TO THE WALL.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2013
    This is a fantastic tread, alot of good feedback, a healthy discussion and constructive cretisism. It warms my forum mod heart to see this :)
    I would like to see UWE focus more on the tools and make the more popular mods part of the game.
    Combat mode being one of em.
    I would allso like to see that mods aint fixed, so a server can have alternating map cycles. So you as a server host isnt forced to pick and stick whit 1, but can just add the maps as you please.
    eg. When a match have ended, the mapvote will include the options to pick normal maps, combat maps, last stand and so on.

Oh and weld points, timed events, functional buttons (open close shutters, on/off switch on the lamps connected to the mobile generators in mineshaft - Alternate the music in the club on decent from juke box ) - Would love to see siegemaps make a return :)
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Would like to see the work put into making the learning curve of the game less steep continue, here's a small idea I often think about while wondering where the hell my medpack is :P :

Commander modes need small player frames of some kind (maybe similar to the player frames on Insight, or Artfunkel's Team HUD Mod) so that it can be conveyed to them the status of their players (low health, need ammo, need a nutrient mist, etc). Time and time again I see this get to newbie comms, or just comms that have trouble being aware of the status of their players. "How do I tell who the hell needs ammo? Stop spamming me!", and so forth. Maybe have small icons on the minimap or something as well (a green ping indicating a friendly request or something).
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    @amoral lol a way around that is to instead of focusing on the silence aspect of it, alter the camo part of it. i.e. make the lifeform blury when it isn't camo'd or perhaps give the lifeform 1 sec of fast movement before the camo disappears. :) I can be very creative with my ideas lol. Anyone else? lol
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @rantology on the minimap? Because in main view this already exists, afaik.
  • EgoGamerEgoGamer Join Date: 2012-06-21 Member: 153536Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Hugh wrote: »
    What would you guys like to see? If we were able to do more NS2 related stuff, what would you want? Keep in mind development teams have certain strengths and weaknesses. Single-player games are not UWE's strength, neither are story-driven games. But maybe it would be fun to be pushed in those directions. Maybe it would be fun to hone our strengths.

Who knows. Isn't it fun, that there are such possibilities for the future!

While I'd really like to see a single-player experience, I think it may be cool to have support for fan made campaigns. By which I mean more intelligent bots, the ability to create scripted sequences and so on. Then just let the more artistic of the player base make their own stories.

Would love to see an in-game depiction of Six Days In Sanji. :)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Global Clan Wars

A game I used to play, world of tanks, has a contiguous worldmap with areas (countries) that can be owned by a specific clan. Other clans can then challenge them for their territory by playing them on a map (each country has a map that's associated with it).

I can see this working on NS2 but with planets, asteroids etc, on a sub-galactic territory scale, instead of countries/ worldmap.

This would be a brilliant, concrete way of encouraging high-level play within NS2 and further promoting it as an e-sport.
  • KelrathKelrath Join Date: 2013-06-03 Member: 185459Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm just going to throw my two cents in as well to agree that polish should be the main focus now. For the most part I think the main features are in a pretty good spot. There's enough to keep the game varied and dynamic, but not too many to bog down the experience. What could really use some love now are things like mapping and modding tools, skill tracking, match replays, the commander UI experience, tutorials and learning curve assistance, and those last persnikity bugs.

Also supporting whatever Sewlek comes up with for balance. Reading the BT thread I'm seeing some really cool ideas, but they seem like things that may take a bit of asset development along the way.

If I were to think of any new in-game features to add I suppose more research options to further breakup t-res expenditures would be cool, particularity on the alien side. These would be little things like increased building armor, hydra health, clip size, arc speed, passive heal rate, enabling whip knock-back, that sort of thing. But I think this would be a fairly low priority.
  • VittuLimaVittuLima Join Date: 2012-12-25 Member: 176227Members
    What i don't understand is why isn't there "select next weapon" "select previous weapon" buttons still argghhh!?!!? Also grenades feel meh as they are now for me, 3 pres everytime u want 2 grenades that just feels too much trouble/too expensive when u might easily die without ever even using the grenades. Either make them so u get more of them from armory after that, or make it like in ns1 that comm researches it and then marines always spawn with them. And the amount of different types of grenades is overkill imo just bring back the commander researched "normal" grenades from ns1. More different types of weapons would be nice however, like the HMG. and BAZOOKA! KABOOM BABY!
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For now: performance and development tools
    For the near future: community map pack (with tweaks and quality control by the pro's)
    For the long term: i guess what meatmachine said (above) sounds pretty fricking awesome.

For the new UWE game: a reallife RPG with strategy elements
    president_game.png
    Goal: the community works together to make Hugh president of some tropical island where we can live or go on vacation and play NS2.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2016
    Wishlist: Any two of these would make me a happy Gorge.
    Mapping contests
    Badge Icons in Scoreboard (Yay)
    A new scoreboard
    Match timer on hud
    Gorge overheal "Encrust"
    A new gun, maybe the teased concussion rifle or return of the hmg. (Yay)
    Slicing up all the marine armor variants and adding support for personal marine customization. (Ala Special edition armor helmet, deluxe edition wrists, elite chest armor, and black armor color filter.)
    Different ethnicity marines with some face variation.
    Black Armored Exosuits
    Shadow Fades (Yay)
    Weldable vents
    Elevators, moving trams, and interactables
    Moving the welder to slot 4
    Fade Acid Rockets
    Lerk Primal Scream
    Some more ns1 throwback maps (Yay)
    Fall Damage
    Ok here's an old idea ive been playing around with, fits pretty good in UWE's moddingroots.
    It's a blend of oldschool puzzle/platform/survival/horror games, Farmville and mapping/modding.

The Caves
    Every player has a cave. All caves are connected to a central tunnel. Every cave has a prize you can steal. Every cave is designed by it's owner: filled with mazes, deadly traps, helpfull items and dark creatures. You complete a cave by entering it and stealing it's prize.

The prize is worth resources based on the amounts of players who failed to get out of that cave. Resources can be spend on making your own cave harder, prettier, bigger or just funner. The more you steal and the more people who visit your cave, the more income you gain, the better and harder you can make your cave.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    CCTEE wrote: »
    Ok here's an old idea ive been playing around with, fits pretty good in UWE's moddingroots.
    It's a blend of oldschool puzzle/platform/survival/horror games, Farmville and mapping/modding.

The Caves
    Every player has a cave. All caves are connected to a central tunnel. Every cave has a prize you can steal. Every cave is designed by it's owner: filled with mazes, deadly traps, helpfull items and dark creatures. You complete a cave by entering it and stealing it's prize.

The prize is worth resources based on the amounts of players who failed to get out of that cave. Resources can be spend on making your own cave harder, prettier, bigger or just funner. The more you steal and the more people who visit your cave, the more income you gain, the better and harder you can make your cave.

I read of some very similar f2p game in the making at the beginning of the year. I guess the beta will be released 2014.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members

The Caves

i think you just described the mighty quest for epic loot... like exactly... you just exactly described an existing game.
    "As a newcomer to Opulencia, you will hack n slash your way through hundreds of castles designed by the ingenious minds of your fellow players! Don’t forget to show them who’s boss by constructing deadly keep of your very own – in this kingdom, size really does matter!"

Damn, they STOLE IT ! Well, that's fitting i guess. hack n slash is boring though.
    Yeah, that's the game I meant.
    Ok, back to my thinking-chair then.
  • MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well whatever UWE choose to do when it comes to a new game other than natural seleciton 2 I would love love LOVE to see a game that makes an appearance within the natural selection 2 universe and expands upon that.

Like a bounty hunter/blade runner-ish game where you get to see how the civilization of man in the various solar systems around the galaxy makes a living/etc. with obvious pointers of the current conflict with the kharaa and the TSF recruitment posters/other.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited September 2013
    If you ask about the future of NS2 after enough money is collected... I have a dream.

Remember those beautiful planet landscapes visible through the glass panes in Atrium, Cargo, Flight control, etc? I dream about a day when all the airlocks, bay doors and hatches will open and TSF shuttles, fighters and speeders will fly and drive out to meet the Kharaa in epic planetary and interplanetary battles for whole space sectors.

It may not be tomorrow, it may not be next year or decade, but I firmly believe that my children, or their children will see the dawn of that glorious day.

BTW I hope babblers will be transformed into something worthwhile by then and rifle bash will be actually useful.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Ok, back to my thinking-chair then.

rogue legacy scooped me
    Kamamura wrote: »
    If you ask about the future of NS2 after enough money is collected... I have a dream.

Remember those beautiful planet landscapes visible through the glass panes in Atrium, Cargo, Flight control, etc? I dream about a day when all the airlocks, bay doors and hatches will open and TSF shuttles, fighters and speeders will fly and drive out to meet the Kharaa in epic planetary and interplanetary battles for whole space sectors.

It may not be tomorrow, it may not be next year or decade, but I firmly believe that my children, or their children will see the dawn of that glorious day.

BTW I hope babblers will be transformed into something worthwhile by then and rifle bash will be actually useful.

Yeh, this is a rather obvious and good way to expand the game.
    Imagine an Engi-EXO welding some huge tank in a combat filled valley versus giant lerk-dragons.

And: with big maps teams can setup hives / cc's for an extra commander on that part of the map / world...
    After awhile the original commander's role evolves to more of a general, setting up a grand strategy for his field commanders, managing fund-flow, the big technology breakthrews etc...
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    What would you guys like to see? If we were able to do more NS2 related stuff, what would you want? Keep in mind development teams have certain strengths and weaknesses. Single-player games are not UWE's strength, neither are story-driven games. But maybe it would be fun to be pushed in those directions. Maybe it would be fun to hone our strengths.

Sabot please.

• driestdriest Germany Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Seriously, Sabot! :)

At the moment public play is often annoying because half of your team actually doesn't care about the rts portion of the game and just wants to shoot/bite stuff. So even when the teams aren't necessarily stacked it's often pretty clear after 1 minute of gameplay if you drew the short straw and ended up in a team of 2 teamplayers and 10 crazy rambos. There is already a mod for rambos: combat-mod. You could integrate this into the official build or make it more prominent in the game menu btw ;).

Now for everyone else there needs to be an organized play system, otherwise people will eventually get bored and move on. I've been trying to convince more of my friends to play and have already gotten them to buy the game, but most of our sessions end up no fun at all because were not even on the same team or getting stomped because the rest of our team wants to hold skylights at all cost but ignores getting res or a second base for 30 minutes ;). So if there was a way to do organized public play this would help the game tremendously!
  • Eddie_5Eddie_5 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187751Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd like to see more tactical options and interactive map elements like IeptBarakat and GISP mentioned.
    tarquinbb grabbed the idea of the door welding earlier in this thread again. I would like to expand this idea with some more detailed thoughts I had just now:

- Doors can be emergency closed by the commander (this will cost TRes).
    - 30s/1m cooldown before they can be opened up again and closed. OR they will open up automatically again after a certain time limit and receive a cooldown before the emergency shut down can be performed again (shutdown will be indicated by a nice sound effect similar to the distress beacon one).
    - Doors can only be closed, when a power node is in place on either sides of the door.
    - After closing, marines can weld doors for permanent closure and additional hit point gain.
    - Aliens can destroy closed/welded doors. (?)
    - damaged welded doors can be repaired by the marines with welders. (?)
    - Destroyed doors can be replaced by the commander and rebuild by the marines (will cost TRes of course). (?)
    - The commander can place different kind of doors, e.g. sensor doors that will only open for marines. (?)
    - Vent welding. (?)

The "(?)" marks points that I'm not sure of.
    If these ideas get realized, the maps would probably need some tweaking (additional corridors, more/less doors in place).

And I would like the infestaion to be more threatening:

- Infestaion slows down marine/exosuit movement significantly. (If it already slows down arcs that much, why not marines as well?)
    - Sprinting not possible on Infestaion.
    - Infestation damages marine/exosuit armor over time with an exponential damage growth rate (the longer they are on it, the more damage increases).

These changes could correspond to the door shutdown idea, to even out balance.

This game is already truely amazing! Thanks so much for it! ;D

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Eddie_5 wrote: »
    I'd like to see more tactical options and interactive map elements like IeptBarakat and GISP mentioned.

Just an fyi, door locking and welding were things that changed often during the course of the early development stages.

Early like around the alpha, the commander could lock doors around the map, from the beginning of the game, this caused issues where the aliens were trapped into narrow routes. So that was changed. Later up until the release, players could lock and weld doors, this also caused griefing issues and caused the marines to be unable to take parts of the map. Eventually that was also removed alongside with the locking mechanism later on, although it was fun to trap an Onos with.

After a point it seems like the devs got sick of the doors and started to remove them down to 1 per map and just made them automatic, since they would be a bottleneck otherwise.

I had door plans too, but they would drastically change the game.
    Doors are automatically locked, and marines can temporarily unlock them.
    Infestation pulls open doors, and the Onos can smash through them.

What this means is that in the early game, Aliens would be forced to use vents, and ambush marines at doors. As the alien comm spreads infestation throughout the map, larger lifeforms will be able to move freely within their own territory. When the Onos comes into play, he will be smashing through marine doors as infestation slowly takes over the map, which when the base door smashes open, the last stand happens until the round is over.

Which sounds cinematic and cool until you release it's a huge nerf to the aliens and the marines would win most of the time. Since they'd probably just rush and camp the nearby vents.

• Eddie_5Eddie_5 Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187751Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just an fyi, door locking and welding were things that changed often during the course of the early development stages.

Yea, thought something like that. I only discovered this game during the last steam summer sale, so I have no idea what already was in the game back in the days, but got dropped out for various reasons.
    Early like around the alpha, the commander could lock doors around the map, from the beginning of the game, this caused issues where the aliens were trapped into narrow routes. So that was changed. Later up until the release, players could lock and weld doors, this also caused griefing issues and caused the marines to be unable to take parts of the map. Eventually that was also removed alongside with the locking mechanism later on, although it was fun to trap an Onos with. After a point it seems like the devs got sick of the doors and started to remove them down to 1 per map and just made them automatic, since they would be a bottleneck otherwise.

Mhh, but with my idea you actually need power nodes in the room and also resource points, it's not like you can close everything at the beginning of the game or even when your marines spread out, build the nodes and then the commander closes the doors, you then have no res left for other things, I thought of like 10-20 points for a shutdown. And of course you don't place doors in the map that could cut off the aliens completely, there must always be an alternative route (one vent and another corridor at least). Also they could only close for a limited amount of time, to buy some time and protect marines or structures from an alien attack/rush. After a visible countdown on the door reaches zero, the doors will open up again and can't be locked again for an extended period of time, unless they were welded during closure, but even then they still can be destroyed. And you could limit the amount of doors that can be closed at once or even in total.

Okay, I don't know how it was implemented exactly back then. Is there some sort of documentation?

I had door plans too, but they would drastically change the game.
    Doors are automatically locked, and marines can temporarily unlock them.
    Infestation pulls open doors, and the Onos can smash through them.

What this means is that in the early game, Aliens would be forced to use vents, and ambush marines at doors. As the alien comm spreads infestation throughout the map, larger lifeforms will be able to move freely within their own territory. When the Onos comes into play, he will be smashing through marine doors as infestation slowly takes over the map, which when the base door smashes open, the last stand happens until the round is over.

Which sounds cinematic and cool until you release it's a huge nerf to the aliens and the marines would win most of the time. Since they'd probably just rush and camp the nearby vents.

Sounds interesting, too. But even when they camped, what does that achieve? Camping doesn't result in a victory in this game :)

• Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just thought of something that was good for last stand, no not the deployable turrets (though they were fricking awesome. Could we please improve the pickup weapon thing. Having G to pick up and throw your weapon is really dumb, I often throw away my rifle, then my pistol but didn't pick up the SG on the ground and get killed. Could we have "E" for pickup and G to throw away, or G to throw away and an auto pickup if I don't have my primary weapon (I prefer the 2 different buttons), because I don't want to throw away my rifle and walk over it again, and again, and again.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter

open the box and get those plushies up on the store page, posters, books, and shirts...start selling some merch for petes sake!

if you guys end up doing freetoplay and selling new weapons and abilities and skins and lifeforms etc...i'd like that - it would be great to see a wider range of geometry colors motions and stuff.

...getting a plugin that works with c4d would only help support more community made models and textures.

why not add a predator that hunts humans and aliens?! lol

how aboot booby traps or better yet...if the marines are intelligent and can research biological life why cant they research something like a pestiside for infestation "n stuff"?
    Also back in the early development, the marine weapons were supposed to have a unique alternate attack for each weapon. Rifle alt attack was bash for example, and that is the reason why it's the only weapon with the alt attack so far.

It'd be neat if that were to be focused on again.