New mouse-sensitivity in 252?

RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in Technical Support
Me and my brother feel that the mouse is a little bit slower in new 252. does anyone here get the same problem?

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Go to options and see if the setting "raw input" got disabled during the update, if it did change it back to yes and it should feel normal
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    was it enabled before? i never changed that point
    Well I had it on, but I just played (dx9) I believe and am feeling the issue as well

Mouse input isn't responsive, and feels slow.. I'll try and tell someone (but they'll also probably read it here)
  • RammlerRammler Join Date: 2013-06-18 Member: 185607Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    we made it. it was an issue with directx11. with directx9 the sensitivity and feeling is normal like before. very weird
    I have the issue on both dx9 and dx11, only openGL is feeling kind of normal for me
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm having the opposite issue: my mouse sensitivity was doubled. My friend's having the same symptoms as you. I normally play with 2.2 as rines, 3.5 as aliens. I now have to play with ~1 on rines, and ~1.75 with aliens. I haven't tried checking raw input, I'll check later and see what happens. Using DX9, btw.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I suggest you dont enable raw input as it has been confirmed to cause lag issues with the game. (Lua not handling mouse efficiently enough or something)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    How can raw input cause more of a delay!? Wtf...
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    I'm having mouse lag in dx9. Though changing to dx11 seemed to fix it. I haven't tried OpenGL yet.
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    This game feels sluggish as hell now, what happened??
    I never had to fiddle with any setting, renderer or direct mouse input.

What do i do now?
  • BlainnBlainn Join Date: 2013-02-19 Member: 183189Members
    edited August 2013
    Dxd 11 reduced my input lag and gave me back 40 fps.. Be sure Vsync is off
  • zeepzeep Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3367Members
    I tried all rendering settings, they all lag now.
  • CimCim Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147403Members
    Yeah, the mouse feels absolutely terrible now. It's very sluggish and unresponsive. Tracking targets and making precise movements is next to impossible.
    ezekel wrote: »
    I have the issue on both dx9 and dx11, only openGL is feeling kind of normal for me
    It's difficult to tell if it's just a placebo effect or not, but I noticed the same thing you did. OpenGL does seem to make the mouse more responsive for whatever reason, though it's still not at the level of what it was pre-252.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Blainn wrote: »

ew how can you play with vsync off.... the screen tearing is annoying as hell.
  • Sharp-ShooterSharp-Shooter Join Date: 2011-05-11 Member: 98364Members
    Res wrote: »

because the mouse input lag is more annoying with it on
    edited August 2013
    Res wrote: »

because the mouse input lag is more annoying with it on

I don't know about that. I find it just as hard to aim with all the screen tearing.

Either way though, I am noticing far more input lag with the new update.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    edited August 2013
    Mouse sensitivity has changed for me too. Even after fiddling with the slider I still can't get it back to how it used to be. Very frustrating
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    feels better and more responsive for me since 252.. ;/
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Check r_stats and/or profiler and see if you're getting unusually high frame delay.

This has been bugging me for a while in the test build but my mouse likes to randomly stop working and my preferences for sensitivity change frequently so I assumed it was all in my head... well, that's what I get for making assumptions.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    shonan wrote: »
    I suggest you dont enable raw input as it has been confirmed to cause lag issues with the game. (Lua not handling mouse efficiently enough or something)
    This is incorrect and is misinformation.

Very few users have experienced any issues with it.. You are one of four, out of hundreds of thousands. Those who have issues experience massive unplayable hitching. I use it without issue. So do most I know.
    And i still believe that you personally having more technical issues than any other user ever in those forums contributes somehow to this.

On topic :
    The input handling system for ns2 has been changed for Linux. It's very likely frame times have increased or something similar.. (consistently high) I agree with many of your findings. I'll be sure to pass this along to the devs. Thanks
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    shonan wrote: »
    This is incorrect and is misinformation.

Very few users have experienced any issues with it.. You are one of four, out of hundreds of thousands. Those who have issues experience massive unplayable hitching. I use it without issue. So do most I know.
    And i still believe that you personally having more technical issues than any other user ever in those forums contributes somehow to this.

On topic :
    The input handling system for ns2 has been changed for Linux. It's very likely frame times have increased or something similar.. (consistently high) I agree with many of your findings. I'll be sure to pass this along to the devs. Thanks
    The game's raw input implementation makes your mouse movement dependant on FPS. Its extremely bad. Or at least it did pre-252, please tell me it's improved so i can turn up my graphics and not wince every time i drop to 50 fps
  • UrbanMuslimUrbanMuslim Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187160Members
    I actually signed up for an account for the first time just to comment on this issue. My mouse sensitivity is broken since the latest patch. It seems like the horizontal axis is lagging or not as sensitive as the vertical axis. This is coming from someone who has played ns2 since beta. This is a real problem which I think a lot of people are realizing.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Fear not, Max is aware and on the case!
    Any info you could provide would be very helpful.. details and specifics please. Include your techsupport.exe zip file with your posts when you give your detailed description.

@mattk50 i dont think thats the case, i think that's how it was perceived.

FYI, the new input system, SDL, not having raw input would only cause mouse acceleration, not a delay.. hence the need for more info from those of you who are more sensitive to the change. (i can feel the difference but am having a hard time nailing down what exactly is different.. it just feels sluggish to me.)
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Another note about mouse issues: try toggling raw input and see if that helps. Also, check FoV settings and basically any other client settings that may have been reset.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    Interesting.

I've had mouselag problems since they changed something about input back in beta, more than a year ago. Now, I just started to play again after a 4 month break, and first build I played was 251. The first thing I noticed was that mouse input had significantly improved in feel during that time, and after playing 252 with opengl, dx9, dx11 it still feels the same as in 251 for me. Always been using raw input.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is it possible to decouple mouse movement from render framerate, if that is still how it is?
    Mattk50 wrote: »
    Is it possible to decouple mouse movement from render framerate, if that is still how it is?

I noticed that when my FPS drops to ~30-35, the input lag gets much more noticeable.

I went lerk and was holding down the mouse button to spike some marines, my fps dropped, and I could not hit them at all due to how bad the input delay was.

I have yet to have any time to mess with the in game settings to see if it helps.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My sensitivity feels higher and my mouse input just feels wrong. Please fix asap! :<

It feels like accel or some sort of mouse raw input issue.
  • SkualSkual Join Date: 2013-07-30 Member: 186469Members
    I agree that I directly noticed a difference since the change from 251. I couldn't really track a target as before, although it is very difficult to explain what is wrong. It is like I was playing with a small input lag, where before it felt really responsive.

I have a very recent computer, so FPS are 80+ almost all the time with everything at highest settings. I did not test the OpenGL mode and will come back after testing this.

Also: I have always used "raw input" because it is the only way to not have any mouse acceleration as the acceleration toggle has always been broken in NS2.