Better NS2

Comments

• MalveMalve Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181030Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    How do you configure BNS2 to not show as Game type "bns2"?
    I noticed some servers are running it but they are listed as "ns2".

I'm having a hard time getting players on my server and I think the "bns2" game type puts them off (like mods in general).
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    edited February 2013
    Doing so isn't straightforward. I'll remove it, it's still NS2 rather than a different game mode, no one using the browser knows what it means and this browser is more reliable picking out servers running the mod than the in-game browser anyway.

Though there are other factors I think makes a bigger difference.
    Ah, I see what you mean.
    Update:

* Added extended VAC checks. In addition to cheaters caught by VAC in NS2, cheaters caught in any other VAC secured game (including NS1) will also be unable to enter. This is feature disabled by default, see bns2serverconfig.json to enable.
    Hey lwf, I'm receiving these errors once in a while (Build 240) and they cause pretty bad lag spikes.
    I have disabled BNS2 for now but I wonder if this is caused by the extended VAC check I enabled.
    It seems to be pulling someones Steam profile.
    [Server] Script Error #9: lua/bns2_connectfilter.lua:19: Attempt to access an ob
    ject that no longer exists (was type ServerClient)
        Call stack:
        #1: [C]:-1
        #2: lua/bns2_connectfilter.lua:19
            response = "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><prof
    ile>
            <steamID64>76561197960795616</steamID64>
            <steamID><![CDATA[HoSoS]]></steamID>
            <onlineState>offline</onlineState>
            <stateMessage><![CDATA[]]></stateMessage>
            <privacyState>private</privacyState>
            <visibilityState>1</visibilityState>
            <avatarIcon><![CDATA[http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public
    /images/avatars/60/6072499676ac4e12cdb7a3d32bbe6ac6de6bd3ae.jpg]]></avatarIcon>
            <avatarMedium><![CDATA[http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/publ
    ic/images/avatars/60/6072499676ac4e12cdb7a3d32bbe6ac6de6bd3ae_medium.jpg]]></ava
    tarMedium>
            <avatarFull><![CDATA[http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public
    /images/avatars/60/6072499676ac4e12cdb7a3d32bbe6ac6de6bd3ae_full.jpg]]></avatarF
    ull>
            <vacBanned>0</vacBanned>
            <tradeBanState>None</tradeBanState>
            <isLimitedAccount>0</isLimitedAccount>
    </profile>"

Any update can break mods, the bigger the update the bigger the risk. Just keep it disabled it until I've patched it, at this time I'm just enjoying the game so I have no idea what's wrong. :P
    New build update (240):

* Updated "following/spectate player" shortener to work with the new replacement first person system.
    * Fixed a bug in the extended VAC check that could try to access client data of disconnected clients.

That seems to be all! Didn't expect that.

By the way, the BNS2 backend is down due to it being moved to a different datacenter, so the performance stats are offline at this time.
    New build update (241):

No breakage. Only a small new feature when using the alternative (still the only one) alien vision mode.

* The minimal alien vision (mode 2) in addition to the changes by Huze now also disables "albedo visibility" when cloaked, since minimal alien vision does not have the same visibility problems as dark vision this was counterintuitive. What this means is you can now tell if you're cloaked when alien vision is on which wasn't possible after the fullscreen effect was removed (in mainline NS2).
    edited March 2013
    Hotfix for build 242.

* Infestation modifications (less "bubbly" on rich) disabled.

Edit: The new, current infestation code has been very locked down and can't be touched without breaking compatibility with other mods and potentially break for every new build. I've talked to Sewlek and in the next build this should be moddable again.
    New build update (243):

* Infestation modifications re-enabled. :)
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    Hey Iwf. there has been a few updates to the game since you last posted, any idea if they break your mod much?

Love your mod, using it on my server, thanks for the good work :)
    edited May 2013
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't! It depends entirely on what UWE changes but I wouldn't say it breaks much. I hook everything I can which is much more work initially but then it has a better chance of working in the next version as well.

When it does break it's usually obvious by looking at the client and server console, see for example the trace Malve posted earlier, which has "bns2" in it so it's easy to find the culprit even if you can't decipher it. Note however than an error is not guaranteed, code can break in more subtle ways and you'll get no message, but perhaps a feature won't work (usually a BNS2 feature, I've yet to see it break gameplay, such as being unable to build for example).

To my knowledge it's fully working at this time, that's why no BNS2 patch has been released.
    Thanks for the update, i'm just glad to know the project hasn't been abandoned!
    Update (build 246, release 0):

* Added a stripped down speedometer based on "debugspeed", but usable without cheats enabled. Toggled with the "b_speed" console command. The setting is saved between sessions.
    edited May 2013
    I can't view the Better NS2 Steam workshop page, have you accepted the new terms and conditions Valve recently rolled out?

Unfortunately they automatically hide workshop entries until the new t&c's are accepted :(

I wanted to ask if you would be interested in adding a 'damage calculator' to the mod.

Currently the points for a structure kill appear to be awarded to the person to gets the last bits of damage in and not to the person who's done the most amount of damage.

For example, i can run in, pop half a clip of machine gun into a alien res unit that 2 of my teams mates have been hacking away at for a good while and steal the the whole 15 points.

This also happens with the cysts and pretty much everything that isn't killing the enemy related.

I think it's pretty unfair and i do feel guilty about it when it happens, lol

Surely the points should be divided equally?
    Thank you, I wasn't aware of this. Now it should be visible again.

I'm definitely interested in that but I'm not sure I would add it. This is something I think the NS2Stats team would be familiar with, who has already added assists for kills.
    Sure, i'd put the suggestion to them, keep up the good work with this mod though, i don't host a standard gameplay server without it :)
    Update (build 248, release 0):

* Added an alternative "fps" implementation toggled by typing "b_fps" in the console. More commands exist to customize sample size/update rate and decimals, they are listed when issuing the main command. Beyond the usual "average FPS" b_fps also calculates "longest FPS" in an attempt to capture the perceived smoothness, as an average FPS will smooth out jitter. For more details issue the command in-game.
    Update (build 248, release 1):

* Fixed bug causing some name changes to add a "(number)" to the name, even if it is unique.
    * Fixed bug allowing players to use too long names, causing the unique name constraint to break.
    * Threat non-player names in the game as unique names. Because there is no way to see the difference in the kill feed between for example an Observatory destroyed and a player called "Observatory" being killed, a player attempting to use "Observatory" as a name will be renamed to "Observatory (2)".
    Update (build 248, release 3):

b_fps updates:
    * Added rolling average FPS counter (just like in Half-Life!)
    * Added rolling average for longest frames counter.
    * Added fast frames percentage counter.
    * b_fps_decimals changes are now saved to the config.

This stuff is experimental (but not unstable). Full documentation is printed when typing b_fps in the console.
    Sounds good, good work :)
    Update (build 248, release 4):

* Remember alien vision state between lifeforms (don't force off when dying/evolving/exiting the hive).
    * Fixed speedometer being enabled by default (internal changes to config handling).
    edited June 2013
    lwf wrote: »
    Update (build 248, release 4):

* Remember alien vision state between lifeforms (don't force off when dying/evolving/exiting the hive).
    Thank you
    Update (build 250, release 0):

Quick fix for build 250. Please report any remaining bugs.

* Disabled "Higher PRes float precision. Eliminates big rounding errors in PRes HUD notifications.". This broke the entire HUD after build 250 did away completely with the "+num" notifications and now show only a plus.

* Disabled "Fixed personal resources overflow. When one or more player have the max amount of PRes (100) the res this player otherwise would have received will be split between all other players instead of going to waste.". It appears res overflow is no longer broken in NS2; it's completely removed, so BNS2s changes caused errors.
    Update (build 253, release 0):

* Retired BNS2 alien vision features.
    * General clean up.
    * Added b_ranks console command. Prints stats for all players on the server from UWEs new ranking system.

edited September 2013
    This changelog was delayed. These features has been out for a few days but needed "in the wild" testing.

Update (build 254, release 1):

* BNS2 now reports player stats to UWE like any unmodded server, but identifies itself as "bns2" rather than "ns2". UWEs stats server accepts this game type.
    If your server runs any gameplay changing mods you must set override_rank_report_restriction to false in bns2serverconfig.json.
    UWE would be fully within their right to ban a server from being able report stats for your server if abused.

* b command now displays if the server is reporting players stats or not.
    * b_ranks now show server wide, marine and alien sides average "skill" in addition to individual player stats.
    * Minor fixes and cleanup.
    Hey lwf, did you retire the ability to remember alien vision between deaths + evolutions?
    I removed everything that had to do with alien vision. Some broke, most seemed like it didn't fit anymore after alien vision changed role to what's essentially just night vision while normal vision is close to minimal alien vision. I could probably add it back in if you'd like.
    edited September 2013
    Yes please, i don't agree with the new alien vision changes and looking at the forums, the majority don't either.

I'm waiting for a vision mod to come out that has darker vision again and thus is easier on my eyes.

The current orange just hurts my eyes.

By all means if you want to add the feature back but have it disabled by default, that's fine, i just need the command to enable it on my servers :)

Keep up the good work, i look forward to using alien vision again one day!
    Now that you can install any alien vision from the Workshop, built-in alternative alien vision definitely isn't coming back. An option to remember it between lives still may, but I've had no time. :(