UWE should ride the fail wave of Aliens:Colonial Marines

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
So Aliens: Colonial marines is quite possibly one of the worst games to come out recently. And I bet there are a heap of people out there still wanting to scratch that marines vs aliens style gameplay - and NS2 could be the itch scratcher they need. UWE should take this opportunity to do a trailer or some kind of quite promotion to get those people on board.

btw here are some comparisons of the Aliens Colonial Marines game being compared to what the advertising material was and what the actual released game looks like.

http://www.destructoid.com/jimquisition-a-lie-ns-colonial-marines-244882.phtml

Oh and in multiplayer the wall walking is laughable

Comments

• OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Heheheheheehehehhe, ahahahahahahahaha, hehehehehehehe.

Big big big 'oooooooooppppsss.'

Shows just how decent the team at UWE really is, they can *actually* deliver.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    edited February 2013
    I would be weary of such a thing.

The people disappointed with that game are already frustrated enough at the lack of visual quality. Then add getting sold into a game that currently has performance issues?
    I think they would be even more harsh.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    |strofix| wrote: »

The people disappointed with that game are already frustrated enough at the lack of visual quality. Then add getting sold into a game that currently has performance issues?

ns2 is 10/10 compared to A:CM
    that and the NS community is mega fussy (which isn't a bad thing, means the game ends up super polished) but i think for most usual gamers they won't even notice any issues in ns2
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    schkorpio wrote: »
    |strofix| wrote: »

ns2 is 10/10 compared to A:CM
    that and the NS community is mega fussy (which isn't a bad thing, means the game ends up super polished) but i think for most usual gamers they won't even notice any issues in ns2

I think you may not be experiencing the full affect of the performance issues if you think nobody will notice.

I'm quite sure that NS2 blows CM out of the water in terms of gameplay. The performance issues cannot be ignored though.

• kastkast Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22791Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    That game is absolute shit.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorgous Update will probably get a big trailer. Hopefuly it will reach the right people for ns2.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    I hate to say bad things because I did really enjoy Borderlands, but GBX really screwed the pooch on this one. With the failure that was DNF, Gearbox is not building the good track record that I was expecting after Borderlands 1/2.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    The really interesting bit is the dynamic lighting/shadows they showed in the original.
    Far as I remember, Spark can still actually do that stuff in real-time.
    I'd really like to see a 'horror' map put in, that would really use the Spark lighting system to its full capabilities for once.
    LOL, how about this:

I am an idiot, I think people actually want to hear that shitty rifle firing sound at some time after 1998.

OOOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS. We have played NS2, we don't like vacuum cleaners any more.
    Scardy, how do you feel about BL2? I feel something has changed between the original and BL2. Something not in a 'good' direction? Really can't put my finger on it other than the personally annoying Inventory Menu 'changes'.

I have had BL FANATIC flatmates (more than one) cuss BL2 right out of my 'suggested co-op' folder, apparently it was just that bad.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2013
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    I hate to say bad things because I did really enjoy Borderlands, but GBX really screwed the pooch on this one. With the failure that was DNF, Gearbox is not building the good track record that I was expecting after Borderlands 1/2.

www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/

In short: apparantly they outsourced the main campaign and DLC to some other developers, while doing the MP bit themselves. They we're still busy developing Bordelands 2, which seemed to have priority, so the release date for A:CM kept getting pushed back. Ultimately they saw the campaign was awful, but SEGA had enough of all the delays, so Gearbox shipped this monstrosity to avoid further conflict.

If only they concentrated on making one game at a time, giving A:CM some proper treatment. :/

Anyway, I'd expect, with some press coverage for the Gorgeous update and possibly a free weekend, we'll be seeing a lot of disgruntled fans coming this way.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I just feel sorry for those who bought it. By the looks of things, I wouldnt even play it if I had a free copy.
  • DTEDTE Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28412Members
    What a ripoff
    Reminds me of WarZ
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I smell lowered expectations. Fast get them as long as their tears are not dried! :D

Nah, srsly. It could work if you place some advice to the (in any way better) NS2 in the forum threads of game magazines as long as the rage is going in there. NS2 greatest lag is, that many people don't even know about that game or ignore it because they think its another "default-shooter".
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    Aliens IP is gold, but it really has produced some abysmal games & movies
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    The last AvP was so bad that I waited for the reviews of this game and that was good ;) Imagine you would have bought both games, ouch!

And at the topic: NS2 is aliens vs marines, yes, but people who bought A:CM would most likely expect a good single player game. I don't know if the NS2 multiplayer is enough. Especially when people who don't know NS2 but NS1 buy it and expect something different. Or expect a perfect game since the memory of a bought not-so-perfect game is still around the corner ;)
  • MilaniumMilanium Join Date: 2012-12-27 Member: 176388Members
    edited February 2013
    I can't believe this. This is like inverted world. Indie developers create far better visuals than AAA studios with Hollywood franchise licensing. Okay, maybe Gearbox wasted all their money to call it Aliens: Colonial Marines and they definitely should have differentiated better between render trailers and in-game footage. Thanks for posting this, I might have fallen for it. As a big Aliens fan this is yet anohther disappointment after "Prometheus". Very blamable for Sega and Gearbox, too.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    extollo wrote: »

I agree but I think it has to do with this shoehorning into the FPS genre companies like to do *COUGH*Syndicate*COUGH*. Why not do a throwback to Alien (rather than Aliens) and do a survival horror game? Sounds more unique and an interesting jaunt into a genre that hasn't had many entries as of late.

I'd blame SEGA more than Gearbox though. They have a track record of forcing games out that aren't ready. That does not completely absolve Gearbox.

Relevant RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/who-made-aliens-heres-what-we-sorta-know/

• GenericOverusedNameGenericOverusedName Join Date: 2013-02-12 Member: 183022Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've seen a lot of people recommending NS2 to people disappointed at A:CM on other websites. I have a feeling that UWE may not even need to do all that much to reap the benefits here.

The timing of it is pretty great, what with the Gorgeous Update happening soon. A good trailer (of ingame footage, unlike what A:CM had!), if the disappointed fans find it, probably will convince them to jump ship. Hooray for more rookies!
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2013
    Industry wrote: »

I agree but I think it has to do with this shoehorning into the FPS genre companies like to do *COUGH*Syndicate*COUGH*. Why not do a throwback to Alien (rather than Aliens) and do a survival horror game? Sounds more unique and an interesting jaunt into a genre that hasn't had many entries as of late.

I'd blame SEGA more than Gearbox though. They have a track record of forcing games out that aren't ready. That does not completely absolve Gearbox.

Relevant RPS: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/who-made-aliens-heres-what-we-sorta-know/

If this poster here is legit, it sounds more like Gearbox didn't hold word with its contractors.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/

You can't sing contracts with 2 publishers about 2 games, when you don't have the capabilities to develop 2 games at the same time. And than outsourcing the development? Srsly? How did they ever think this could work?
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    Industry wrote: »

If this poster here is legit, it sounds more like Gearbox didn't hold word with its contractors.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/

You can't sing contracts with 2 publishers about 2 games, when you don't have the capabilities to develop 2 games at the same time. And than outsourcing the development? Srsly? How did they ever think this could work?

You can't, that is exactly right. However SEGA should have stepped in, looked at that trash and not pushed it out. Ultimately they are the ones who put it on the market.
  • LofungLofung Join Date: 2004-08-21 Member: 30757Members
    but we are still in beta? how dare you compare it to a released title.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Lofung wrote: »

LOL
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Lofung wrote: »

Why are you here?

Why?
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow

The first AVP was an amazing atmospheric experience, probably the best of the series IMO. Very pants-shitting scary at times.

My only complaint towards AVP2 was that it was TOO cinematic, you never needed the motion tracker as every time an enemy was going to charge you the music got all dramatic 2-3 seconds before the walls burst. Still an excellent game.

It's all been downhill from there tho :(
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited February 2013
    But how is the gameplay? I for one dont give two craps about lighting, dynamic or otherwise compared to gameplay.
    Milk it, milk it hard.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    I agree hugh. Aliens IP fans just want a good game that fits into that universe. And as mentioned it has been done a couple of times (even the jaguar game was good within that technology). With resources available now - platforms, toolsets & no need to create a new IP, it seems like you'd really need significant management failure to release a total stinker. I guess that is what happened.

Roobubba wrote: »
    Why are you here?
    Why?

posts are all the same. bot? :idk:
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    No tension building, ridiculous AI, shoddy story-line/voice-acting, and no pacing at all.

idk how anyone couldn't have seen this coming.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    No tension building, ridiculous AI, shoddy story-line/voice-acting, and no pacing at all.

idk how anyone couldn't have seen this coming.

Skillfully deceptive marketing. Those guys earned their pay, too bad the actual devs couldn't deliver.