What new features are coming?

HallkerHallker Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177229Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Informations about new features of NS2</div>Hello, my nickname is Hallker as you can see and I would like to ask you guys (community) what new features are coming into world of Natural Selection 2.

I am pretty new to NS2 but I really enjoy it and I have to admit that I am pretty curious about all stuff I can expect in game in upcoming weeks/months.

Could anybody give me a list or links to some informations what new we can expect?
I am sorry if I missed a thread about it somewhere in forums.

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. I mean something really NEW like weapons, buildings, game mechanics or life forms. I am aware of Google Moderator thing but there is mostly discussed only fixes for current content of game.

Comments

• Angry ChildAngry Child Join Date: 2012-12-05 Member: 174256Members
    Ive heard talk of gorge tunnels " alien phase gates " , babblers " little mini skulks " , and something about railguns
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Well either a fix for feign death and hyper-mutation or replacements for these (taken out at last minute), most of the new stuff will likely be on aliens.
    I believe there are still some tweaks for lerks (switching spike and spores I think has been entertained...) which would be nice, but it tough...unless they go gas and spike (with bite being the upgrade....).
    Marines have most of their bells and whistles, whilst a rail gun was talked about the dual Exo may have rendered it useless and very unlikely.
    Oh and I have a feeling RR jp's are still on the to do list.....those pesky lerks think they own the RR skies currently.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    railguns like in quake (sniper rifles)?
  • HallkerHallker Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177229Members
    edited January 2013
    Sounds interesting. Hope they will balance it more. Right now Aliens are very OP on Public servers. Truth is that i believe it is balanced in competitive way of playing. I was just hoping for more interaction for Marine players. Like ability to lock a room. Or more options for both sides to play.

EDIT: I hope that developers will use some stuff from mods. Like ability to pick different skins or 3D Armory for marines.
  • goblingoblin Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31412Members
    a new map is comming out
    <!--quoteo(post=2055231:date=Jan 3 2013, 09:52 PM:name=Hallker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hallker @ Jan 3 2013, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055231"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds interesting. Hope they will balance it more. Right now Aliens are very OP on Public servers. Truth is that i believe it is balanced in competitive way of playing. I was just hoping for more interaction for Marine players. Like ability to lock a room. Or more options for both sides to play.

EDIT: I hope that developers will use some stuff from mods. Like ability to pick different skins or 3D Armory for marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Weldable doors and vents is on the to do list and hopefully wont be far off....did allow bases to have more vent access if some could be closed off.
    A new map? Really? Well as I saw it, it seemed that there is no need for developers to make new maps. Fans are doing pretty good job at this. I would leave this to fans and would tried to enhance gameplay options and choices :)
    <!--quoteo(post=2055265:date=Jan 3 2013, 04:01 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 3 2013, 04:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Weldable doors and vents is on the to do list and hopefully wont be far off....did allow bases to have more vent access if some could be closed off.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I thought about something like this. It would be great. Just to make more diversity.... right know there is a little room for cooperation for players. I love those moments when my friend is trying to hold aliens off and I am trying to finish up a Power node. We need more those moments :)
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2055267:date=Jan 3 2013, 08:02 AM:name=Hallker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hallker @ Jan 3 2013, 08:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A new map? Really? Well as I saw it, it seemed that there is no need for developers to make new maps. Fans are doing pretty good job at this. I would leave this to fans and would tried to enhance gameplay options and choices :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

New maps are quite essential for the longevity of a multiplayer only game. Only to rely on community made maps would be a big gamble.

In the artbook there's mention of three new maps by UWE coming sooner or later: Biodome, Descent and Discovery.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055296:date=Jan 3 2013, 05:12 AM:name=Neoken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Neoken @ Jan 3 2013, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055296"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New maps are quite essential for the longevity of a multiplayer only game. Only to rely on community made maps would be a big gamble.

In the artbook there's mention of three new maps by UWE coming sooner or later: Biodome, Descent and Discovery.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I know. I am not saying that they can't add new maps. But ONLY new maps won't be enough :(

As I see it there should be some secondary mechanics on each map.

-ability to lock down some parts of map
    -ability to have influence from one room on another like controling temperatures or something
    - or turn on special light that will blind aliens using vision
    - some sort of self defense system against both factions
    ¨
    etc etc. In my opinion this game has a huge potentional but it needs a lot of new content.
  • Cat-PokerCat-Poker Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156670Members
    According to the Dev interviews on <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2 </a> and their <a href="https://twitter.com/NS2" target="_blank">Twitter</a>, there is a big content patch late January/early February with a new map, exo railgun, gorge tunnels and some other new features.
  • [TGL]Thunderhorse[TGL]Thunderhorse Join Date: 2012-03-04 Member: 148134Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those changes you would like to see would be better off as a mod not featured.

I think it would be cool and fun but will most likely ruin balance.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055496:date=Jan 4 2013, 07:19 AM:name=Cat-Poker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cat-Poker @ Jan 4 2013, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->According to the Dev interviews on <a href="http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2" target="_blank">http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2 </a> and their <a href="https://twitter.com/NS2" target="_blank">Twitter</a>, there is a big content patch late January/early February with a new map, exo railgun, gorge tunnels and some other new features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Exo rail gun...really? Do we remove the single exo? or does it replace the double?
    I know the rail gun was talked about from early on before we had exo's, jp's heck evenbefore we saw birth of the OP'd FT but I just cant see how it fits in now.
    Also to me gorge tunnels are almost exactly like PG's...the old hive teleport system like ns1 I think offered much greater distinction...guess we just have to wait and see how they implement some of these.

I do think that some where so long ago they no longer fit given what we do have in the game already.
  • SehzadeSehzade Join Date: 2010-12-29 Member: 76024Members
    exo railgun?!
    i thought it was for footsoldiers.
    too bad. no quake vibe there.
    edited January 2013
    <!--quoteo(post=2055777:date=Jan 4 2013, 04:05 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Jan 4 2013, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->exo railgun?!
    too bad. no quake vibe there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Past discussions I thought it had been referred to as an exo attachment...could be mistaken. But with the single exo at 50 and the FT at 25 why would you buy a gun at a cost between 25-50 res that offers no armour upgrades when you can get the single exo for 50 res?
    Might just be me but I dont see it fitting in with the other options already available.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    There will be a big content patch in the coming weeks/months.

Things that may or may not be included (that have already been announced):

New Map: "Descent"
    Babblers
    Gorge Tunnels
    Railgun for Exo

Plus potential other goodies. Work is also actively going on for Plushie Gorges and T-Shirts.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055826:date=Jan 4 2013, 06:59 PM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jan 4 2013, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055826"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There will be a big content patch in the coming weeks/months.

Things that may or may not be included (that have already been announced):

New Map: "Descent"
    Babblers
    Gorge Tunnels
    Railgun for Exo

Plus potential other goodies. Work is also actively going on for Plushie Gorges and T-Shirts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So I wasn't going senile...it was talked about as a weapon for the exo.

What about beer can coolers (or warmers for the poms ;))?
    I would have thought with the aussie on the team that the value of such a printed piece of neoprene would have been seen.

But where is the RR jp's on the list?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    What's going on with NS2_Turtle?
  • Evilbones76Evilbones76 Join Date: 2012-12-28 Member: 176506Members
    As a new player, I think the game is great, but indeed lacks on the atmosphere. It seems too bland for me, needs to be creepy music, something to set the scene more.
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2055965:date=Jan 5 2013, 02:10 AM:name=Evilbones76)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evilbones76 @ Jan 5 2013, 02:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As a new player, I think the game is great, but indeed lacks on the atmosphere. It seems too bland for me, needs to be creepy music, something to set the scene more.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=125490" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=125490</a>
  • StriderNS2StriderNS2 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175867Members
    New Feature: Performance Overhaul
  • StonusStonus Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177172Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056046:date=Jan 4 2013, 10:46 AM:name=StriderNS2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StriderNS2 @ Jan 4 2013, 10:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New Feature: Performance Overhaul<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

²
  • tboxtbox Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177462Members
    edited January 2013
    I am a new player but I kinda though teleporting/phase gates was a good advantage for marines. I guess Gorge tunnels would be different but I am just concerned that teleporting kinda defines marines whereas aliens have very fast movement speed.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2055777:date=Jan 3 2013, 11:05 PM:name=Sehzade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sehzade @ Jan 3 2013, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->exo railgun?!
    too bad. no quake vibe there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yea its for exo, an ingame model can be found in the files.

animation suggests that railgun's rate of fire is very slow, given that compensation would be increased damage. like a shotgun variant of exo suit
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    <!--quoteo(post=2056134:date=Jan 4 2013, 03:19 PM:name=tbox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tbox @ Jan 4 2013, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am a new player but I kinda though teleporting/phase gates was a good advantage for marines. I guess Gorge tunnels would be different but I am just concerned that teleporting kinda defines marines whereas aliens have very fast movement speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Right. I mean marines already have enough issues as it is beating aliens even with phases. And with gorge tunnels aliens will move even faster to needed area if the name implies what it will do. I think they know what they are doing though and these tunnels will probably have a counter or be a counter to say marines welding doors and vents closed if they include that in the future. Either way more features are always good.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Achievements
    Commander Vote
    Surrender Vote
    Gorge Plushies
    Leveling System
    Weapon Unlocks
    Paid Cosmetic DLC
    HMG
    Hand Grenades
    Iron Sights
    Maps will be covered in dismembered bodies and a creepy little girl's voice will whisper to you at random
    Rookie players will have triple the health and armor of a normal Marine while they learn
    End game 4th tech point Alien siege abilities
    Alien Arcs
    Alien Phase Gates
    New Alien lifeform that can only be used in water
    Alien minimap

Am I missing anything?
  • SiminiSimini Join Date: 2012-09-28 Member: 160916Members
    What are these babblers? mini skulks? some sort of replacement for the eggs?
  • AmbAmb Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168647Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=2056159:date=Jan 5 2013, 08:40 AM:name=SixtyWattMan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SixtyWattMan @ Jan 5 2013, 08:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056159"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Achievements
    Leveling System
    Weapon Unlocks
    Paid Cosmetic DLC
    Iron Sights
    Rookie players will have triple the health and armor of a normal Marine while they learn

Am I missing anything?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Call of Duty, Son. A new one comes out every 12 months for $60. Have you bought a copy yet?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=2055752:date=Jan 4 2013, 04:32 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 4 2013, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also to me gorge tunnels are almost exactly like PG's...the old hive teleport system like ns1 I think offered much greater distinction...guess we just have to wait and see how they implement some of these.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, the old hive teleport system in NS1 was much closer to phasegates in the gameplay function, since it was an instant teleport and only the one team side could use them. The gorge tunnels will not be an instant teleport, and there is much more gameplay potential that can happen with the tunnels both inside and outside of them. Trust me, I think they are going to be very cool and very fun, and feel different enough from PGs.
    <!--quoteo(post=2055752:date=Jan 4 2013, 04:32 AM:name=hakenspit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hakenspit @ Jan 4 2013, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2055752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exo rail gun...really? Do we remove the single exo? or does it replace the double?
    I know the rail gun was talked about from early on before we had exo's, jp's heck evenbefore we saw birth of the OP'd FT but I just cant see how it fits in now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Exo rail gun is going to be added as a separate option for purchase, not as a replacement to any of the existing options. It will be a much higher damage weapon compared to the spammy minigun, but require much more precise aiming, and the slow rate of fire will make it risky but with high reward. There are also some other features that it will have, that we aren't quite ready to talk about yet, that will also make it very useful and distinctive from the minigun options.
    <!--quoteo(post=2056166:date=Jan 4 2013, 09:53 PM:name=Simini)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Simini @ Jan 4 2013, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What are these babblers? mini skulks? some sort of replacement for the eggs?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can see what the babblers look like (though without the final textures) in another thread in the general discussion. They are going to be AI controlled units that the Gorge can create, and they will follow him around, and both protect him and other alien players, and also attack and harass enemy units. The Gorge will be able to target both locations and enemy players, to send his Babblers in to attack. It will cost res to create each Babbler egg, and from each egg multiple Babblers will hatch.

--Cory
    I am afraid of unbalancing the game. Right now Aliens have MUCH better defense capabilities and their offense units are a little bit stronger than Marines.

And I am afraid that developers are doing more work on Aliens side than on Marines... I hope you prove me wrong :)