Have Nano-Construct target buildings

DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
With Nano-Shield, you increase the survivability of whatever marine you target. By extension, you increase the survivability of the whole group which that marine is moving with. That makes the ability rewarding to use even if the marine isn't paying attention to the commander's exact orders. Nano-Construct is a much less dependable ability because the targetted player may stop to shoot at a skulk or wander off, or protect other building players. It seems to be less intuitive for the marine. I suggest that Nano-Construct be modified to target buildings and make them be built faster when a marine +uses them. The commander gets exactly what they want built without having to micromanage their personnel, plus it's intuitive for everyone. You can't cast the ability unless there's an unbuilt structure around to use it on.

Comments

• TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I haven't been able to play this version but I just assumed that's how it worked :/

Sounds kinda awkward.
  • Champlo0Champlo0 Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150617Members
    It works by quadrupling the rate at which marines build. It doesn't have an indicator as far as I know, though, so marines will often derp off doing something.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1933321:date=May 3 2012, 07:04 PM:name=Champlo0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Champlo0 @ May 3 2012, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It works by quadrupling the rate at which marines build. It doesn't have an indicator as far as I know, though, so marines will often derp off doing something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, it's completely unreliable. Even with an indicator though, Marines need to be directed to what specifically needs to be built first (as you usually have a specific plan in mind when you spend what otherwise could be Nano-Shield energy on a Marine). By targeting structures, marines will build those targeted structures in the order that you buff them. It would be WAY simpler than how it currently works.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I disagree, you dont need to use it pre-emptively and there can be more than one structure to build.
    I don't find anything wrong with its current implementation, just that it needs an indicator on the building to show that it is in effect so I don't have to double check to make sure I put it on there, and so that marines know to build it before the time runs out.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I activate nano construct as soon as he starts building. Then he sees wow that goes fast an builds it.
    If you pre use NC there is a chance the Marine selected dies something else.
    <!--quoteo(post=1933456:date=May 4 2012, 07:34 AM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ May 4 2012, 07:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1933456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I activate nano construct as soon as he starts building. Then he sees wow that goes fast an builds it.
    If you pre use NC there is a chance the Marine selected dies something else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's like arguing that when you nano shield someone they should notice that they're nano'd by not dying as fast. That's redundant.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I like it on the player, but a better indicator of it being active would be nice (I sometimes double nano-construct by accident).
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    there is an indicator already guys. its subtle but there. they added a shader effect to marines with nano construct. by the way I think you can simply click the structure you want nano'd and the nearest marine will get the NC. As commander you need to make that player aware to "Build the sentries!!!!"

by the way.. nano building sentries is extreme if you can pull it off.