Double performance before release?

NiklasdiverNiklasdiver Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146675Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">That is not enough.</div>I am really a bit nervous about the performance of the game.
I run NS2 on this
Gtx 580
intel i7 950
8b ram
In spectator, i usually get around 90 frames, ingame around 50 till 60. But once i get in combat my fps drops to 25 and late game, when there is alot going on on the screen , it drops as low as around 11-15 frames, making the game unplayable.
I really don't know alot about coding, but even if UWE is able to double the framerate, that is still really low, and people will be pretty unhappy about the games performance. Don't do the same mistake like Red Orchestra 2 did and fix the games performance after release ( even though RO2 still ran around 30 - 40 frames easily)

Comments

• Master BlasterMaster Blaster Join Date: 2012-03-17 Member: 148908Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1932309:date=May 1 2012, 12:06 PM:name=Niklasdiver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Niklasdiver @ May 1 2012, 12:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am really a bit nervous about the performance of the game.
    I run NS2 on this
    Gtx 580
    intel i7 950
    8b ram
    In spectator, i usually get around 90 frames, ingame around 50 till 60. But once i get in combat my fps drops to 25 and late game, when there is alot going on on the screen , it drops as low as around 11-15 frames, making the game unplayable.
    I really don't know alot about coding, but even if UWE is able to double the framerate, that is still really low, and people will be pretty unhappy about the games performance. Don't do the same mistake like Red Orchestra 2 did and fix the games performance after release ( even though RO2 still ran around 30 - 40 frames easily)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really do not think a "professional" video game company would be stupid enough to release a game that can only run on very high-end machines. That kind of business sense well...you'd have to be pretty dumb to let that happen.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Use net_stats in the console to see the correlation between your frames dropping and the server tickrate.
    Your rig is better than mine so i know you get decent FPS clientside.
    What you're experiencing, just so you know (because it has little do with your specs) is low server performance.

This generally occurs late game as entities have accumulated over the map.
    Playercount also effects this greatly, try to stick to 16 player count servers in the meantime.
    And of course be patient, they are really working on performance. (if the twitter, blogs, and posts were missed)
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1932309:date=May 1 2012, 09:06 PM:name=Niklasdiver)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Niklasdiver @ May 1 2012, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am really a bit nervous about the performance of the game.
    I run NS2 on this
    Gtx 580
    intel i7 950
    8b ram
    I really don't know alot about coding, but even if UWE is able to double the framerate, that is still really low, and people will be pretty unhappy about the games performance. Don't do the same mistake like Red Orchestra 2 did and fix the games performance after release ( even though RO2 still ran around 30 - 40 frames easily)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

funny, i have the same fps on an amd athlon2 3,3ghz(dualcore) and an ati hd 3800 and 4gb ram.

but ironhorse is right, the lategame performance is mostly the server.
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    The cause doesnt matter,

i cant give thoes kind of excuses at work, and players wont give a crap about why their fps is ###### -

thell just uninstall demand their money back and find a game they can play comfortabley

this is 2012, people wont give a ###### about ns2 when wayyyy better games are out there that perform wayyyy better
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932321:date=May 1 2012, 03:28 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ May 1 2012, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Use net_stats in the console to see the correlation between your frames dropping and the server tickrate.
    Your rig is better than mine so i know you get decent FPS clientside.
    What you're experiencing, just so you know (because it has little do with your specs) is low server performance.

This generally occurs late game as entities have accumulated over the map.
    Playercount also effects this greatly, try to stick to 16 player count servers in the meantime.
    And of course be patient, they are really working on performance. (if the twitter, blogs, and posts were missed)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the point stands whether it's client or server performance, 2x performance increase is -not enough- to make this game a success. consider that a 2x server performance increase will allow normal server hardware to run what top end servers do now. Which is unacceptable at 8v8. and their goal is 16v16. this means that the MINIMUM would be a 4x increase (assuming server performance scales linearly with playercount, which i don't think it does).
    <!--quoteo(post=1932340:date=May 1 2012, 01:03 PM:name=NecropsY)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NecropsY @ May 1 2012, 01:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932340"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The cause doesnt matter<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am sure the game will run fine WHEN IT IS FINISHED. Because no game company (even as small as UWE seems to be) would be STUPID ENOUGH to release a game that will only run with high-end PCs. It doesn't make sense. So even if you do not have faith in UWE, have faith in common sense.

If it does not run well in the final release, only then does UWE have some 'splaining to do.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    I think the famous "double performance increase" will be benefitial for both servers and clients, meaning that you may be well be looking at a stable server for a full game (no FPS drop at the end) and stable and improved FPS for the clients in the best case scenario. But we don't know for sure, yet, obviously.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    The client and the sever run about the same code, so server and client performance are actually the same thing.

We need at least 8x increase, 2x for decent tickrate 8v8 on high end hardware, 2x for for 8v8 on normal hardware and 2x for 16v16.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    start to worry if there's no noticeable performance after they downgrade the LUA code.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932364:date=May 1 2012, 03:32 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 1 2012, 03:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2x for for 8v8 on normal hardware and 2x for 16v16.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

O(n) scaling is too optimistic.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think it needs to be more like 3x better performance before release if they want players with mid-range computers to be able to play.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932364:date=May 1 2012, 10:32 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ May 1 2012, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The client and the sever run about the same code, so server and client performance are actually the same thing.

We need at least 8x increase, 2x for decent tickrate 8v8 on high end hardware, 2x for for 8v8 on normal hardware and 2x for 16v16.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You realise that the server controls the entire game world right?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Take it easy guys - We know the performance isn't anywhere near it needs to be, you know that, we all know that. Max spends his every waking hour working it.

Getting all up in a tizz in threads called 'performance is not good enough' will not make us work faster, or the gains happen sooner.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    the more of these retarded threads I read the more I want to pull my hair out.

I guess this is one of the draw backs when relying on pre-orders to fund a game :/
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    What if we had something called a search feature. Before you made any whiny posts about things that are already being worked on as hard as possible you could find out whether other people had already brought the topic up a few days ago. Then you could read one of the dozens of responses or articles regarding performance and rest easy.

A real shame we don't have a search feature like that.

Up at the top of the page where anyone can easily find it.

A real shame.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Try running your game with 8GB of ram instead of 8 Bits.
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932466:date=May 1 2012, 05:22 PM:name=WorthyRival)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WorthyRival @ May 1 2012, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932466"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try running your game with 8GB of ram instead of 8 Bits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol +1
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1932453:date=May 1 2012, 07:33 PM:name=Strayan (NS2HD))--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Strayan (NS2HD) @ May 1 2012, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932453"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Take it easy guys - We know the performance isn't anywhere near it needs to be, you know that, we all know that. Max spends his every waking hour working it.

Getting all up in a tizz in threads called 'performance is not good enough' will not make us work faster, or the gains happen sooner.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, we know. we just don't want another ns2 beta release to happen. i know you guys want to release by summer but we just feel the need to keep reminding you that while we, the hardcore ns fans, are relatively forgiving, it's not going to happen with the public at large.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Advice to everyone who posts with a darker shade of grey: stop humouring these threads.

Read them if you find yourself overcome with curiosity, but don't post in them. Yes the community is important and should be greatly valued, but one must remember that they <b>don't know what they are talking about</b>.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1932311:date=May 1 2012, 11:14 AM:name=Master Blaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Master Blaster @ May 1 2012, 11:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932311"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really do not think a "professional" video game company would be stupid enough to release a game that can only run on very high-end machines. That kind of business sense well...you'd have to be pretty dumb to let that happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Crytek and Crisis say hi.

Although that's a completely different case.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1932494:date=May 2 2012, 03:39 AM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ May 2 2012, 03:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crytek and Crisis say hi.

Although that's a completely different case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was possible to run it on a mid-tier system. Of course, you'd have to sacrifice the whole beauty, but it would run.

NS2 however, will not ever run on a lower end system than it was designed for because graphics options won't do anything good for your performance.

Crysis was also single-player only. You can enjoy single-player games with 30fps as opposed to multiplayer games, where you will want at least 60fps stable.
    <!--quoteo(post=1932494:date=May 1 2012, 06:39 PM:name={GGs} Chicken)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ({GGs} Chicken @ May 1 2012, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932494"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crytek and Crisis say hi.

Although that's a completely different case.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea but in that case the trade-off was worth it.

The graphics in NS2 are NOT worth it lol
  • RoverRover blargh Join Date: 2003-09-23 Member: 21139Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932497:date=May 2 2012, 03:49 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ May 2 2012, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 however, will not ever run on a lower end system than it was designed for because graphics options won't do anything good for your performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because, as I understand it, the current bottleneck is mainly the single threaded CPU load rather than the GPU use.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    Lads and Ladies,

UWE know that they need to improve NS2's performance. I believe Flayra even posted that he had Max (and I think some others) putting a good portion of their daily hours into optimising the code.

While it's probably good that some members of the community continue to re-inforce the notion that the current state of the game needs to be optimised, I'd hazard a guess and say the developers want you to go and be constructive on another feature of the game they may be mulling over instead over something they already know.

Kind Regards,

A Lad
  • NiklasdiverNiklasdiver Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146675Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ofcourse this topic isn't going anywhere. Sorry for posting such a stupid thread, better close it.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    It's a worthwhile thread if only for the fact to elaborate just how much more faster the server actually needs to get. A factor 2/4/8x has been bandied about, but I think at least a whole order of magnitude (10x) should be met if it's to be a viable game for the community at large (nobody runs overclocked sandybridges for servers).
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    No discussion, just complaining, about something the devs very well are aware.
    **Closed**
This discussion has been closed.