[PSA] - Cloaked Drifters on Empty Nodes not a Bug

MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
I'm really hoping this gets address in the next patch where if a comm tries to put down a node that is blocked by a drifter it either reveals the drifter or kills it

To everyone else who doesn't know about it plz do not tell other players that "X-Room's Node is bugged and we cannot build there"

I don't blame people for playing competitively, but this is still a beta and we don't need more misinformation flying around

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Whats the problem with cloaked drifters getting killed if a commander tries to build something on top of them?

You mean you can't build on the spot the drifters occupy, even after they die? Or a ghost structure won't appear if a drifter is there, leading comms to think they can't place something?
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited April 2012
    <u><b>peregrinus:</b></u>

Alien team is putting cloaked drifters on nodes

Marines get to nodes and ask for node
    Comm can't drop node because of drifter and everyone gets really confused

Entire games go by where nodes adjacent to Marine base do not get dropped because nobody realizes that there is a drifter there
    Instead they think it's a bug with the new version and tell others that it is bugged

I've seen entire teams go to RR and servers restarted because people on alien won't tell the players what is actually happening

---

Does that explain the situation better?

-
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1931831:date=Apr 30 2012, 09:30 AM:name=MaximumSquid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaximumSquid @ Apr 30 2012, 09:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931831"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u><b>peregrinus:</b></u>

Alien team is putting cloaked drifters on nodes

Marines get to nodes and ask for node
    Comm can't drop node because of drifter and everyone gets really confused

Entire games go by where nodes adjacent to Marine base do not get dropped because nobody realizes that there is a drifter there
    Instead they think it's a bug with the new version and tell others that it is bugged

I've seen entire teams go to RR and servers restarted because people on alien won't tell the players what is actually happening

---

Does that explain the situation better?

-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see this and just laugh. This I feel is a totally viable strategy akin to blocking expansions in SC2 with burrowed units or Dark Templars. All it takes is a simple scan and bam you now have killed a scout AND secured a node. This really just comes down to people not knowing about the changes to drifters.
    edited April 2012
    <u><b>Industry:</b></u>

You realize the game is still in beta right?

Someone on Marine says in all chat "It's not letting me build the node..."

I trust you wouldn't speak up because you think it's amusing, but now they are about to switch maps because they think it's bugged
    <i>(aka the game is ruined in their minds and this is the only way to fix it so <u>everyone</u> can have a good time)</i>

Do you still not tell them?
    Would you let them essentially restart the server to keep the prank going?

<i>I'm pretty sure when nobody wins it's no longer being competitive or funny in your case</i>

-
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    Where did I say I say nothing? I always tell people. I just think it's hilarious at the same time.

But I certainly love the accusatory tone.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    There IS a bug with not being able to build RTs on nodes. I have experienced it as Comm myself and as a marine waiting for the comm to put a node down, and there is *NO* drifter on it, I tried running all around it and shooting where it would be and hit nothing, yet the comm couldn't drop the RT.

This bug exists.
  • Unknown_SoldierUnknown_Soldier Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6395Members
    I have to laugh when I see this, and it will become less and less of an "issue" after people realize what's going on. All it does is prevent commanders from dropping an RT ahead of time. Once a Marine gets there they can just kill it.
    edited April 2012
    I haven't seen what you are describing Paradoxum this build but I have in the past and it's generally an issue with the map itself (the face clipping with the RT entity I'd guess). This build every time I see it, it happens to be a drifter blocking or the node is infested and the Comm can't see it despite a marine standing right there.

I have had it happen a few times where I have a marine sitting next to a node and I scan because I can't drop the RT and expect a drifter but the node is just infested and for some reason the marine is not giving proper LoS on it.
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    All i say is the marine comm, and the one waiting to build res tower got outplayed. Why do people want this game dumbed down so bad because the get outplayed. Go play COD please!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Bug submitted!
    Thanks guys
  • pRiNcEkAhUnApRiNcEkAhUnA Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931860:date=Apr 30 2012, 09:53 AM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 30 2012, 09:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All i say is the marine comm, and the one waiting to build res tower got outplayed. Why do people want this game dumbed down so bad because the get outplayed. Go play COD please!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 not a bug just lazy marines.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Yep we think this is a bug - fixing in 207.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1931860:date=Apr 30 2012, 06:53 PM:name=JuCCi-PuCCi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JuCCi-PuCCi @ Apr 30 2012, 06:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1931860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All i say is the marine comm, and the one waiting to build res tower got outplayed. Why do people want this game dumbed down so bad because the get outplayed. Go play COD please!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate it when the COD insult is used this way, it really makes the rest of us look stupid when we use it. You're a smart non COD gamer when you think up complex strategies and are always a couple moves ahead, not because you right clicked on a res node. Knowing about the games arb features doesn't make you better.
    edited May 2012
    Ive played COD.... Any one that cant learn stuff is bad. And to keep saying drop res tower and a comm not guessing why... has not learned anything.

The reason i say go play COD is due to it's easy. Spawn trap get kill streaks, let AI get you more kills and boost your ego. At the end of the day your still bad.
    edited May 2012
    I feel like I just turned the car around in anger after screwing up in a racing game only to have 1st place flash across my screen 1 lap later

Well Cheers. . .
    <i>(I'm going to go play some NS. . .)</i>

-
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1932373:date=May 1 2012, 04:54 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ May 1 2012, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep we think this is a bug - fixing in 207.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is the fix?

If you're going to automatically reveal a cloaked drifter without scanning, it's once again muddling the rules of the game...
    <!--quoteo(post=1932408:date=May 1 2012, 07:09 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 1 2012, 07:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the fix?

If you're going to automatically reveal a cloaked drifter without scanning, it's once again muddling the rules of the game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's gonna crush your 2 team res im sure.....
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1932408:date=May 1 2012, 02:09 PM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ May 1 2012, 02:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1932408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is the fix?

If you're going to automatically reveal a cloaked drifter without scanning, it's once again muddling the rules of the game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not letting drifters' navigation mesh go ontop of powernodes.