Ghost buildings

ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Missing from the changelog?</div>Just realised that the devs implemented ghost buildings - when an alien are close to a building that haven't been worked on, it evaporates. You get a full refund.

Comments

• PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Indeed, it will be more apparent when they put transparency in (or hack it in with the material system).
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2012
    Had a few of my buildings disappear after I placed them in my base, no clue what happened (though I did notice I still had the resources so I figured maybe it was some placement bug), only later did I find out ghost buildings were in and the buildings probably disappeared when a skulk or something bit them in my base.

Should have really told us in the changelogs indeed :p. I saw the guys from ARC only found out in their scrim today. (they were trying to block an onos with a building)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    HA! it sure wasn't mentioned, you're right.
    It was only after i noticed it in the first few minutes of the steam build that i notified that the "bug" was still in cuz we reported it as a bug, but it turned out to be the answer to ghost structures and was intentional.

I personally don't like how structures just disappear. Its ripe for griefing, and aliens don't have any weakness of the sort (especially with drifter change). I really consider it unfair when attempting to relocate - that dropped cc that isn't built yet just instantly disappears in those few crucial moments cuz of one 0 res skulk.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    That moment when your ghost CC disappears because of a Camou-ed Drifter in the room.
  • ScrajmScrajm Join Date: 2011-10-17 Member: 127859Members
    Well, you get a full refund. Just drop a new one :)
  • .ADHd.ADHd Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146565Members
    edited April 2012
    Wow iron that is very good point. They should just do it like NS1 (Wow that is beginning to sound like a broken record for me).

Make the structures half opaque and able to be walked through until a marine presses use on it. This whole evaporation game is actually incredibly frustrating when you are trying to put buldings and turrets in a place like ventilation. Aliens just walk by it and wipe them all out and then they get killed... then you lose precious seconds dropping down new structures. It's extremely aggravating and shouldn't be implemented yet until aliens simply pass through them without evaporating them.

and Psiwarp even better point! Now I am going to have to abuse that exploit :-P Especially on those back and forth matches... you could clutch the game by blocking their CC drop so you can plop down your hive. *Face palm*
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    i think it should be impossible to place IPs near a ghost-CC. because if you chose not to build the CC, you basically get new possible spawn locations for free!
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    this > sliced bread
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2012
    The current ghost structure placement is incredibly badly thought out. You can troll the alien team by spamming an RT on their expansion res point to figure out which way their expanding and how far. Likewise goes for preventing hives. You can place structures in doorways and hallways to figure out where the aliens are moving without scan. Instead of structure blocking, we now have structure scouting.

All of this costs you nothing and you arn't punished for bad building placement decisions. It doesn't matter where you place your first 2 RT's anymore as long as your marines build the powerpoint first and don't touch the RT untill you get the skulk rush and know where their hive is. Theres also hardly any risk in placing phasegates in advance of your marines without thought. If there are aliens there it will disappear, you get your res back, the marines know there are aliens.

And then there are the problems caused for relocation, aliens griefing marines etc.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2012
    Add transparency and % of resources lost and we have an easy solution? There's no reason for commanders to drop structures before marines get there anyway.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Why are resources refunded when ghost buildings are destroyed anyway? Seems like it'd be perfectly reasonable to punish commanders for being too excitable with their structure placement.
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Would be harsh to lose all the res for a building just because 1 skulk comes around and bites it once while a marine is building it or about to build it...
    Granted the current implementation isn't ideal, losing your resources would make it even worse.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You might conclude they are indeed ghost structures...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1928803:date=Apr 23 2012, 03:30 PM:name=Xarius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xarius @ Apr 23 2012, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would be harsh to lose all the res for a building just because 1 skulk comes around and bites it once while a marine is building it or about to build it...
    Granted the current implementation isn't ideal, losing your resources would make it even worse.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In NS1 all you had to do was build it for a split second as a marine and it would no longer be "ghosted", so it'd take more than one bite unless it was placed in the middle of a skulk rush.
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1928800:date=Apr 23 2012, 07:27 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Apr 23 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are resources refunded when ghost buildings are destroyed anyway? Seems like it'd be perfectly reasonable to punish commanders for being too excitable with their structure placement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm pretty sure they implemented that feature to prevent armory blocking an onos that enters your base.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1928800:date=Apr 24 2012, 01:27 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Apr 24 2012, 01:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are resources refunded when ghost buildings are destroyed anyway? Seems like it'd be perfectly reasonable to punish commanders for being too excitable with their structure placement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Their not actually destroyed or attacked. They disappear instantly when an alien touches them.
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1928804:date=Apr 23 2012, 07:33 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Apr 23 2012, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You might conclude they are indeed ghost structures...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they need to use the material system and make ghost structures look like a wireframe blueprint or something and when you start building it with your nanite-gun you see it slowly start to take shape rather than just magically appearing fully constructed
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That was not the joke :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1928872:date=Apr 23 2012, 06:56 PM:name=xorex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xorex @ Apr 23 2012, 06:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure they implemented that feature to prevent armory blocking an onos that enters your base.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is absolutely correct. What of it?
    <!--quoteo(post=1928873:date=Apr 23 2012, 06:59 PM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Apr 23 2012, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1928873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Their not actually destroyed or attacked. They disappear instantly when an alien touches them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, and? Do you mean it'd be un-immersive?