Machinma?

SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
<div class="IPBDescription">the games farther along, larger community...</div>This is a new thread to see if anyone would be interested in creating a Machinma for NS2 at this time. Just curious... I'd personally love to do it, but unfortunately i cannot provide too many advanced technological skills. I'm very interested to see if anyone would want to do this?

Comments

• WolpertingerWolpertinger Join Date: 2011-12-24 Member: 138958Members
    If UWE would provide the data, I could try doing something in Maya.
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    what kind of data?
  • hooligan8200hooligan8200 Join Date: 2009-06-11 Member: 67794Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917884:date=Mar 26 2012, 01:30 AM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Mar 26 2012, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917884"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If UWE would provide the data, I could try doing something in Maya.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Provided you have models, animations, and such? I feel like you'd be better of just using the cinematic editor included, once it's finished of course. Otherwise using maya/max/c4d would be a decent alternative since you can also use plugins.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I am still interested in helping anyways i can.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918738:date=Mar 27 2012, 11:45 PM:name=hooligan8200)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hooligan8200 @ Mar 27 2012, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Provided you have models, animations, and such? I feel like you'd be better of just using the cinematic editor included, once it's finished of course. Otherwise using maya/max/c4d would be a decent alternative since you can also use plugins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OBJs with UVs and Textures and Textures with normals would be enough, creating a rig is not hard.

I was already thinking about doing everything myself for a teaser kind of short, inspired by <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBsHm4Ccz5c" target="_blank">this teaser video</a>, just with the "womb"/inside view of an egg with a baby-skulk, eventually zooming out, showing the egg lying in the middle of a battlefield. With or without a narrator saying something like "[...] but now, mankind may have met its match."
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    would we be making a short teaser or a more full blown machinma story with a plot and everything.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    Definition of Machinima means you make the video using the game. Making it in maya takes away from the machinima aspect.

Filming from spectator, using puppets (players running around shooting, ect), and cinematics, is the way to go.

You need a director, and a video editor. Preferably they're the same person. You'll also need people to be actors in the game, voice actors, and artist if you want some custom scenes.

I'm a map maker for NS2, if you need a simple scene from your script I could do it for you. However I encourage you to stick to the spirit of machinima, and work with what the game gives you - that's the point!
    <!--quoteo(post=1919208:date=Mar 29 2012, 03:55 AM:name=zastels)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zastels @ Mar 29 2012, 03:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm a map maker for NS2, if you need a simple scene from your script I could do it for you. However I encourage you to stick to the spirit of machinima, and work with what the game gives you - that's the point!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, I was never really interested in making a Machinima. I prefer the greater possibilities of Maya and co.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    I think we should do a short teaser something easy we can make in a day or two, And then if it all works out maybe make it a series.
    If it involve some kind of a story, who would be responsible for it? Does UWE have a NS/NS2 bible for the universe? - I am sort of dissappointed in the lack of backstory included in the map design. Some games do a very good job at giving hints for backstory in the level design, such as Left 4 Dead.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1918875:date=Mar 28 2012, 07:04 AM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Mar 28 2012, 07:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OBJs with UVs and Textures and Textures with normals would be enough, creating a rig is not hard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh. I usually catch on pretty easy to anything 3d related, but I still struggle with rigging and animating.

<!--quoteo(post=1918875:date=Mar 28 2012, 07:04 AM:name=Wolpertinger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wolpertinger @ Mar 28 2012, 07:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was already thinking about doing everything myself for a teaser kind of short, inspired by <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBsHm4Ccz5c" target="_blank">this teaser video</a>, just with the "womb"/inside view of an egg with a baby-skulk, eventually zooming out, showing the egg lying in the middle of a battlefield. With or without a narrator saying something like "[...] but now, mankind may have met its match."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That wouldn't be hard, even given what we have now. The hardest part would be the dynamic infestation since there's no real "hard model" (at least I don't think) for it. Just a simple deformed surface and nice texture will do alright though. I'm assuming you already have an idea on how to do this so I won't even bother giving any suggestions. I've done this stuff before so if you have any questions, just ask. I'll be more than glad to help. Be sure to post your end result here so we all can see!

*EDIT* If there's some way to use the NS2 rendering engine with data from maya, that would be golden! I know there are some render engines that games use that also work with modeling programs, but I think those are few and far between. Also they're probably impossible to code. Just a thought.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1919591:date=Mar 30 2012, 01:09 AM:name=hooligan8200)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hooligan8200 @ Mar 30 2012, 01:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919591"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heh. I usually catch on pretty easy to anything 3d related, but I still struggle with rigging and animating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get a subscription for Digital Tutors. You can learn a lot there in just one month. Worth the 40 bucks.
    I actually have used digital tutors before (though not for animating/rigging). They're really thorough and legit videos. I'm a bit busy at the moment, but I'll definitely have to go through those over the summer.
    so probably a teaser then... i could be a director i guess.. but not a video editor... i'd prefer to just help write a script and act
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    I have both fraps and sony vegas 9

I will more than likely create some machinima, if not a fan trailer for the game (in fact its already started, im just too lazy to finish it lol)