Latency Compensation

ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
<div class="IPBDescription">anything yet?</div>So I made a post about latency compensation like... a month or two ago. Has anything happened on this front? Because it is still not in the game. Maybe its working for pings below 50 (where you don't even need it), but my client is repeatedly reporting hits which the server isn't agreeing with. A lot of the time entire shotgun shots will simply go straight through targets. I've recorded it and it is <b>definitely</b> not working.

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea, i made videos showing this problem a few builds back. The blood but no hit reg thing is still happening in the current build especially against lerks moving really fast.
    To illustrate, yesterday i tracked a lerk with like 9 pistol hits on his body (not the wings) as he was flying really fast - 9 direct hits with visible blood effects but no hit marks.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    I would actually rather things teleport around when lagging, like in most other games. At least that way I will be able to see the lag, and accept it. At the moment the game is just telling me I'm successfully putting 50 lmg and 10 pistol bullets into a skulk, and it isn't dying. Nothing more annoying than a game's visual representation meaning absolutely nothing server side.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited March 2012
    I've been playing gathers with the euros (I'm American) and I've honestly not noticed much difference with the latency. It definitely seems like there is some compensation, though I can't say for sure. Just my feeling of the games.

I ping ~20 to a chicago server (inversions) and ~130 to the duplex/skie servers where most of the gathers happen. It doesn't seem like much of a difference in playing. Not like how I remember ping affecting shots in games like UT2k4.
    <!--quoteo(post=1919198:date=Mar 29 2012, 03:21 AM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Mar 29 2012, 03:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been playing gathers with the euros (I'm American) and I've honestly not noticed much difference with the latency. It definitely seems like there is some compensation, though I can't say for sure. Just my feeling of the games.

I ping ~20 to a chicago server (inversions) and ~130 to the duplex/skie servers where most of the gathers happen. It doesn't seem like much of a difference in playing. Not like how I remember ping affecting shots in games like UT2k4.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Those are still pings in the region where a human probably wouldn't notice the difference. I'm talking about pings in the region of 300-400. And yes, I know that's high, but such pings were easily compensated by even half life 1. The problem is, the games that compensate those pings make it harder to hit the target (because of teleporting and random jerks) but when you hit, you hit, the game keeps that very consistent. That way you can kind of get used to the lag, and at least try to improve. At the moment what I'm noticing is peoples positions won't rapidly change in NS2, they will just be shown where they were 2 or 3 seconds ago. Unfortunately shooting at that position is no good. Basically, the once place you can be most certain they are <b>NOT</b> is where you currently see them.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Dude, you should just move...maybe north africa? :p
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Lag compensation is definitely in the game and has been for about 2 years. This is an <a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/386361/lag%20compensation.avi" target="_blank">old video</a> I made when I first put it in.

There have been some bugs in the game code where it wasn't properly setting all of the animation state on the server, but I think this stuff is pretty well sorted out now.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    I sometime play with the americans with a 300-400 ping (lol). Lets just say they find it hard to hit me hahah.
  • croncron Join Date: 2010-06-21 Member: 72122Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1919201:date=Mar 29 2012, 02:37 AM:name=Imbalanxd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Imbalanxd @ Mar 29 2012, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1919201"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Those are still pings in the region where a human probably wouldn't notice the difference. I'm talking about pings in the region of 300-400.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, just no. If you can play with a ping of 100 then there definitely is latency compensation. You can notice the difference between a 20 and 60 ping, everything above 50 milliseconds is highly noticeable and creates a discrepancy between your input and what happens in the game.
    UT2k4 had little latency compensation, there wasn't much interpolation going on and when the pings were above 50 you would notice and it would feel laggy (especially with insta gib), in NS2 there is much more interpolation going on to hide the high pings between 60-100.
    I agree that above 100 it should no longer hide the fact that your ping is bad, it should start to lag – at least as an indicator that you have problems. Currently the latency compensation is doing _too much_, resulting in confused players.
    At least that is what I observed, when I play with a ping above 50 it doesn't feel like I have a high ping but in fact the accuracy gets lost without any indicator. Often it feels random whether I hit an enemy or not without any indicator that the latency is too high (!= lag) and this should not be the case imho, that means there is too much latency compensation going on.
  • ArgathorArgathor Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110942Members, Squad Five Blue
    There are still issues with hitreg this patch.

I still occasionally point blank shotgun skulks and have no effect. I even shot a harvester twice at point blank and it had no effect yesterday, harvester cannot even move! :-/

Sometimes NS2 feels very responsive and an accurate representation of gameplay, sometimes this slips and it gets very frustrating. Lerks/Skulks seems the most prone to this (perhaps due to the speed they move?). Perhaps it is simply down to performance and that once NS2 performance improves by around 100% the gameplay will be more reliable.
    I'm not so bothered about the point blank misses to be honest. The times when the skulk is right in your face and you blast it with a shotgun, only for it to go right through. This occasionally happens in all games, and I'm sure gamers have come to accept that it happens once in a while.

The thing that just really gets to me is when it doesn't miss, and the blood and hit marker shows that the client knows its a hit, but it just doesn't seem to go through at the end. Sometimes I will just mess around with a pistol, setting it to secondary fire and shooting skulks from long range, and just count the hits. I know for a fact it takes only 3 of these hits to kill, but sometimes it will just be hit after hit after hit after hit and it seems like the skulk hasn't even taken damage yet because he isn't becoming disheartened.

I don't know, all these things are fully understandable in a beta, and I'm sure that whatever it is, it will be gone and working perfectly soon enough, its just really frustrating at the time when its happening.
  • Ice30Ice30 Join Date: 2011-11-26 Member: 135365Members
    edited March 2012
    I think lag compensation in NS2 is still pretty poor and needs a look at, as i'm sure many players would agree. Also if your ping is over 200 it should no longer compensate and just show jerky movement otherwise it's unplayable no matter how you look at it or what you change
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited March 2012
    High-Pingers are not the only ones experiencing hit-reg problems.

Just start a local listen server and go aliens. Bite a wall. You will see there's lag. Elodea did prove it actually in a thread with screenshots by shooting a lerk.

You can notice 2 phases: 1. Client showing the blood immediately 2. server regs the hit about 150ms after that. Without high-ping at all.

So it's not that much the lag compensation for high pingers, there's lag somewhere else for everyone.

I shoot whole magazines into skulks sometimes, too - with a ping of 30. Maybe it's due do client-side performance (15 FPS in fights), dunno.

(I prefer visual lag, too. At about 60-70 it should start)