Laggy piece of ######?

GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Fix the netcode first, then balance it :)</div>Title pretty much says it all.

I love NS and would like to enjoy NS2 as well, however its just been unplayable due to lag since day 1. It has gotten better... but seriously? My computer isnt exactly new, but i think some serious optimization on the part of unknown worlds might need to take place before anything else is addressed. I'd hate to see this go the way of Space Marine: Awesome game when youre not lagging, unplayable piece of ###### when you are. and how often does it lag? all the goddamn time! My friends and I don't even bother trying to play anymore because it isn't worth the effort :\

The game looks slick as ###### in all the videos I see, but I am never able to reproduce that. I want to enjoy it too but I'm sorry I can't come over and play on your LAN right now UWE!

I dont know if its netcoding issues or graphics overload in the late game, or who knows what else, but a game cant be enjoyed if it cant be played.

(Fingers crossed!)

Comments

• FightmasterFightmaster Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149328Members
    Highly uncalled for. I hope this post gets taken down soon.
  • militaerkidmilitaerkid Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58249Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    but you know its in beta and not full yet?

otherwise hardware specs of your pc would be great to see if your pc is out of power or the problem is somewhere else :v
  • GraveGrave Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63285Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917314:date=Mar 25 2012, 02:12 AM:name=Fightmaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fightmaster @ Mar 25 2012, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Highly uncalled for. I hope this post gets taken down soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

man, im sorry. youre right, too much time in the cesspit of other forums has poisoned me, and after a nap i feel much less hostile towards the world. however, i still sincerely hope the performance keeps getting better, because it is absolutely essential to a game like this.

but on that note, i played a game that didnt have much lag at all and that was actually pretty fun. finally, if there is a way to delete topics you create i would like to know, as i looked but couldnt find one.
    however, alt tabing to post this did crash ns2
    XP

um lets see specs...solid gameing laptop from 3 or 4 years ago, have graphics on lowest and res on some medium level.

Processor: Intel core2 duo cpu p8400 @2.26 GHz 2.27 GHz
    Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
    System type: 64 bit

basically just wrote down the words i saw staring at system specs :)
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    "Processor: Intel core2 duo cpu p8400 @2.26 GHz 2.27 GHz
    System type: 64 bit"

Well that's your issue. We dont live in the stone age no more. Upgrade or sit tight. But it your pc that is dragging you down hard.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917345:date=Mar 25 2012, 03:06 PM:name=Grave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grave @ Mar 25 2012, 03:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->however, alt tabing to post this did crash ns2
    XP

um lets see specs...solid gameing laptop from 3 or 4 years ago, have graphics on lowest and res on some medium level.

Processor: Intel core2 duo cpu p8400 @2.26 GHz 2.27 GHz
    System type: 64 bit

basically just wrote down the words i saw staring at system specs :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's your GPU? Integrated? That and your CPU are the problem.

While NS2 is by no means well optimised yet(though heavily improved with this patch), I don't think we should be expecting it to run smoothly on such outdated hardware.
    yeah, ive noticed the rubber banding has stopped recently, and its actually running fine with the graphics set on low and the resolution turned down a little bit.

thanks for the feedback, im sorry it was such a distasteful post. space marine just makes my blood boil when i think about how much fun i have when it works, but how little it works. the lag has gotten much better though, so im a little relieved. maybe one day ill upgrade my stone age comp ;)
  • WebbieWebbie Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24769Members
    I wanted to like space marine, but poor netcode and no dedicated server killed it.
    killed it so hard! oh well i guess i can spend more time on ns2 dedicated servers
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Alot of lag has to do with a bad server.
    Open the console and type net_stats in.
    Look for servertick if the number is below 20 the server starts lagging, if it below 10 it will be almost unplayable.
    <!--quoteo(post=1917431:date=Mar 25 2012, 12:55 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Mar 25 2012, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917431"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alot of lag has to do with a bad server.
    Open the console and type net_stats in.
    Look for servertick if the number is below 20 the server starts lagging, if it below 10 it will be almost unplayable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks!
  • WebbieWebbie Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917379:date=Mar 25 2012, 02:11 AM:name=Grave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Grave @ Mar 25 2012, 02:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->killed it so hard! oh well i guess i can spend more time on ns2 dedicated servers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually it was worse than 'no dedicated server' now that I think about it - you couldn't even choose who hosted. It was done entirely through automatch and randomly chose someone as the host - good luck if it picked the guy on a notebook on wireless!
    yeah, and then it would reassign to whoever had best ping. and if it made them lag, it would bounce to someone else, sort of cycling through players as it made them lag, and then choosing them again once their ping returned to normal. it was a lottery to see who would get to host and thus become an unkillable golden god! champions of khorne, bathed in blood!
  • pvthochpvthoch Join Date: 2012-03-28 Member: 149528Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917318:date=Mar 24 2012, 07:27 PM:name=militaerkid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (militaerkid @ Mar 24 2012, 07:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but you know its in beta and not full yet?

otherwise hardware specs of your pc would be great to see if your pc is out of power or the problem is somewhere else :v<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

fyi a beta usually last a week or two not 3 years in a row no wonder there are only 24 ppl playing this crap
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1918877:date=Mar 28 2012, 08:19 AM:name=pvthoch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pvthoch @ Mar 28 2012, 08:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fyi a beta usually last a week or two not 3 years in a row no wonder there are only 24 ppl playing this crap<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A beta takes as long as the developers want it to take. It doesnt have a fix time, as the development time depends on many things. If you don't like playing a buggy beta, just check the game out when it got released (hopefully in summer).

For me it's really interesting to see a game being developed. Some months ago you couldn't even drop 10 hydras on a 6 player server without crashing it, but thats just perfectly normal. Developing such complex software just takes time. You will always have bugs when adding new features, because no man can calculate every single effect a code change has on the whole program, and no man can plan 30 steps ahead.
    You really have to give the developers credit for what they are doing, they work 24/7 on their "baby".
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1918877:date=Mar 28 2012, 07:19 AM:name=pvthoch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pvthoch @ Mar 28 2012, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1918877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fyi a beta usually last a week or two not 3 years in a row no wonder there are only 24 ppl playing this crap<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah sure since AAA game put a demo out for a week that is called beta....
    Ppl forget what a real beta is and not that pseuoe beta (Demo!!) for BF3.

<a href="http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Software_dev2.svg" target="_blank">http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Software_dev2.svg</a>

So now you know where a beta stands. Those btea you see from bigger games (beside Diablo3) are release candidates that are called open beta.
    NS2 is in this picture in pre-alpha, they just call it beta.