Commander Cyst Placement

countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
<div class="IPBDescription">An idea.</div>Most of us would like the Khamm being able to place cysts on walls and ceilings, right?

What about that: In cyst placing mode, make the scrollwheel switching between wall-left, ceiling, wall-right, floor (or the other way around when scrolling...yeah the other way around) with every 'tick' (dunno the english word) of the wheel.

Pretty good and intuitive, isn't it?

Comments

• RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1917358:date=Mar 24 2012, 08:54 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Mar 24 2012, 08:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of us would like the Khamm being able to place cysts on walls and ceilings, right?

What about that: In cyst placing mode, make the scrollwheel switching between wall-left, ceiling, wall-right, floor (or the other way around when scrolling...yeah the other way around) with every 'tick' (dunno the english word) of the wheel.

Pretty good and intuitive, isn't it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is preventing an isometric view for commanders? Something like: <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3-vault1.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3-vault1.jpg</a>
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917358:date=Mar 25 2012, 03:54 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Mar 25 2012, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most of us would like the Khamm being able to place cysts on walls and ceilings, right?

Pretty good and intuitive, isn't it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only good thing about the gorge's mini cysts at this time is that they can be placed on walls and ceilings.

Your suggestion actually doesn't sound very intuitive because you cannot see most of the geometry you'd be placing it on. Best to leave this functionality of the cysts as they are.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1917366:date=Mar 25 2012, 06:41 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Mar 25 2012, 06:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only good thing about the gorge's mini cysts at this time is that they can be placed on walls and ceilings.

Your suggestion actually doesn't sound very intuitive because you cannot see most of the geometry you'd be placing it on. Best to leave this functionality of the cysts as they are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes i go agree with you.

also the commander will most probebly have more important things he could be doing, while the gorges could just do it and take a little bit of weight off the comm
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1917360:date=Mar 25 2012, 05:57 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Mar 25 2012, 05:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917360"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is preventing an isometric view for commanders? Something like: <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3-vault1.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.nma-fallout.com/fallout3/fo3-vault1.jpg</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not bad, but you'd have to turn your view in order to place one cyst on the other side. Personally I don't like having to turn the view in RTS games, especially for functions that have to be fast.

@Ellnic, Arcanti:

That doesn't work as long as the gorge needs res to place cysts. Very often the com asks me to place some cysts but I simply don't have res for that.

The thing with the geometry: That's one of the things you'd learn over the time. People would start finding the best spots for cysts. As they are now they are far too easily killed plus they look too straight for aliens only being on the floor, don't they?
    Does it make sense to cut the freedom of the com in order do give the gorge more importance? Or shouldn't the gorge have his own important things?
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1917427:date=Mar 25 2012, 05:40 AM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Mar 25 2012, 05:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not bad, but you'd have to turn your view in order to place one cyst on the other side. Personally I don't like having to turn the view in RTS games, especially for functions that have to be fast.

@Ellnic, Arcanti:

That doesn't work as long as the gorge needs res to place cysts. Very often the com asks me to place some cysts but I simply don't have res for that.

The thing with the geometry: That's one of the things you'd learn over the time. People would start finding the best spots for cysts. As they are now they are far too easily killed plus they look too straight for aliens only being on the floor, don't they?
    Does it make sense to cut the freedom of the com in order do give the gorge more importance? Or shouldn't the gorge have his own important things?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking that it would have a default view (i.e. north is north, south is south) that you could reactivate anytime by middle clicking. Then you could spin your mouse wheel to rotate clockwise around the center of your screen. Would be real easy to place cysts on any wall then. Ceilings though...
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    an easier solution would be to just allow the infestation to climb walls. if the cyst on the ground is close enough to the wall when the infestation starts to spread out then have it travel up.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1917538:date=Mar 25 2012, 05:37 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Mar 25 2012, 05:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1917538"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->an easier solution would be to just allow the infestation to climb walls. if the cyst on the ground is close enough to the wall when the infestation starts to spread out then have it travel up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought this will be the case anyway, after a re-work...well, I hope so?

I was more referring to creative cyst placement, because they are easily killed and hiding them in different spots would be kind of a macro-game. Maybe you could even find gaps that can not be shot at...and the flamethrower or gl are needed to push back infestation etc etc
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Let the gorge do it.

The gorge and the commander need to become more entwined anyway.
    Hm.

I like my idea. I'm going to look in the mirror now and say:

"Well done, Basie. People don't know what's good. You don't need 'em."

And sleep unvexed.

Good night!