The flamethrower and DI

thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
edited March 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">bringing back an important relationship</div>Just a short post to say I think it would be good to bring back some importance to the FT versus DI. As it is now, when a cyst is killed, its DI slowly begins to shrink back. This is good because it would suck for alien khamms if the DI instantly disappeared and their structures started taking damage every time a cyst gets killed. The counter point is true for marines, they have to wait a bit for the DI to recede before they can build their structures. I would like to see that when a cyst is killed by a FT, or a FT is used on receding DI, the DI recedes at a much greater rate. This brings back the important relationship that the FT used to have with DI. It would also make the marines feel like they are really 'burning back' the infestation. Plus having a FT help clear an area would allow marines to quickly set up forward bases if they are smart enough to bring a FT with them. To balance / make this important, perhaps DI should recede a bit more slowly than it does now when not affected by an FT.

Quick edit, used too much 'plus'

Comments

• FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    For short: "Good idea"
    Sond logical IMO.
  • LachdananLachdanan Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 16995Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Onos
    edited March 2012
    I would prefer khamm-cysts growing in the roofs instead of the ground.
    Atleast its kharabacteries, hives also grow from top.
    Gorges would be necesarry for DI-scouting and connecting restowers to the cystnetwork
    Gorgecysts could only be killed with flamers.
    Marines would be able to sneak in phasegates again.
    Or shoot the roof, which is a easy way to get spotted and killed.

However selecting buildings in the roof is tricky for commanders,
    eg. the rooflayout could differ from the groundlayout not knowing where to place them.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not sure if this is already in. But what if flamers damage cysts even when aimed at the infestation? This way you don't need to fire directly at the cysts with a FT. This way dead cysts come free with attacking buildings or aliens with the FT.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1916552:date=Mar 23 2012, 09:25 PM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 23 2012, 09:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure if this is already in. But what if flamers damage cysts even when aimed at the infestation? This way you don't need to fire directly at the cysts with a FT. This way dead cysts come free with attacking buildings or aliens with the FT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right for wondering, it's indeed already like that.
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1916480:date=Mar 23 2012, 02:07 AM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Mar 23 2012, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just a short post to say I think it would be good to bring back some importance to the FT versus DI. As it is now, when a cyst is killed, its DI slowly begins to shrink back. This is good because it would suck for alien khamms if the DI instantly disappeared and their structures started taking damage every time a cyst gets killed. The counter point is true for marines, they have to wait a bit for the DI to recede before they can build their structures. I would like to see that when a cyst is killed by a FT, or a FT is used on receding DI, the DI recedes at a much greater rate. This brings back the important relationship that the FT used to have with DI. It would also make the marines feel like they are really 'burning back' the infestation. Plus having a FT help clear an area would allow marines to quickly set up forward bases if they are smart enough to bring a FT with them. To balance / make this important, perhaps DI should recede a bit more slowly than it does now when not affected by an FT.

Quick edit, used too much 'plus'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think someone from the developer team already mentioned something like this when there was a talk about the dynamic infestation prototype and after the first DI has been implemented into the game.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916552:date=Mar 23 2012, 04:25 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Mar 23 2012, 04:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure if this is already in. But what if flamers damage cysts even when aimed at the infestation? This way you don't need to fire directly at the cysts with a FT. This way dead cysts come free with attacking buildings or aliens with the FT.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1916557:date=Mar 23 2012, 04:46 AM:name=Arkanti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Arkanti @ Mar 23 2012, 04:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916557"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're right for wondering, it's indeed already like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, cool. Well, when the devs gets some time, can I expect fire effects on the whole patch of DI that a cyst supports? It would make this much clearer, I really had no idea this was in.
  • FroztyFrozty SWEDEN Join Date: 2012-01-22 Member: 141596Members
    I hope the flame will be a "ace-card" in Ns2.
    Instead of getting early ARC, the flamer should be just as effective! ( but ofc u die much quicker cuz its melee )
  • DuskDusk Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106114Members, Constellation
    Flame with jetpack is already the strongest pvp unit in the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1916678:date=Mar 23 2012, 03:14 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Mar 23 2012, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flame with jetpack is already the strongest pvp unit in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe against "bad" alien players that dont know what leap is.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916681:date=Mar 23 2012, 02:19 PM:name=BuzterOne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BuzterOne @ Mar 23 2012, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916681"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1916678:date=Mar 23 2012, 02:14 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Mar 23 2012, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Flame with jetpack is already the strongest pvp unit in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe against "bad" alien players that dont know what leap is.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What game are you playing? The FT roasts skulks. Go on and leap, I'll be happy to BBQ you all day long.
  • mechanicalDRmechanicalDR Join Date: 2012-03-20 Member: 149019Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916678:date=Mar 23 2012, 12:14 PM:name=Dusk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dusk @ Mar 23 2012, 12:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flame with jetpack is already the strongest pvp unit in the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lies. Its the best hive assassin.

VS skulks shotty is better. Any Fade worth his salts will eat you alive 1v1. Lerk will just outrange you and gun you down.
    <!--quoteo(post=1916689:date=Mar 23 2012, 03:54 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Mar 23 2012, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe against "bad" alien players that dont know what leap is.

What game are you playing? The FT roasts skulks. Go on and leap, I'll be happy to BBQ you all day long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

With level3 weap-dmg you need to flame the skulk more then 7seconds.
    The skulk can still KILL UR ASS and i rather 1hits the skulk with my sh0ogun :)
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1916689:date=Mar 23 2012, 12:54 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Mar 23 2012, 12:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe against "bad" alien players that dont know what leap is.

What game are you playing? The FT roasts skulks. Go on and leap, I'll be happy to BBQ you all day long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Throw some skulks on the barbeque mate.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    I hate to be the guy who does this, but it would also be cool if flames ate up spore/umbra clouds like you would expect. The flamethrower can always use more niche roles since the damage is (necessarily) poor.

The OP's idea is good too, of course.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1916860:date=Mar 24 2012, 03:16 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Mar 24 2012, 03:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1916860"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate to be the guy who does this, but it would also be cool if flames ate up spore/umbra clouds like you would expect. The flamethrower can always use more niche roles since the damage is (necessarily) poor.

The OP's idea is good too, of course.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    haha, I clicked on this thread and wanted to suggest exactly the same thing! :)
    Really good idea imho!