Problem with key binding

PaquPaqu Join Date: 2012-02-15 Member: 145785Members
edited March 2012 in Technical Support
<div class="IPBDescription">Makes playing as a commander much harder</div>Hello!

I play with the arrow keys and use the buttons around them for jumping, crouching, weapon slots etc. So I have binded <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->right CTRL<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> for crouch and <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->numpad 0<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>, <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->numpad 1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>, <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->numpad 4<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>, <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->numpad 7<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> and <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->page down<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> as for the weapons slots. Thats the setup Iam used to have with all shooter games over the years and it works fine with this as well, except when I try to be a commander.

The problem is that even tho other quick keys work as they should, hotkeying buildings is bit too complicated and using them effectively nearly impossible. If I press <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->left CTRL<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> + <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> nothing happens.

I have to press <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->right CRTL<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> + <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->numpad 0<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> to get a building hotkeyed. And of course when I want to select it again I need to press <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->numpad 0<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> which is on the other side of the keyboard from the other hotkeys needed for a commander! So if I want to hop into the chair I need to go and change my key bindings and then change them back when I get out of the chair which isn't very convenient.

I see two possible solutions to fix it so binding different keys than default will still make commanding possible the way its meant to be with default setup.

<b>1.)</b> Make it so that changing any key binds doesn't effect the commander key setup
or
<b>2.)</b> Add a possibility to put a secondary key for every button like it is in many other games. That way I could bind <b>CTRL</b> and weapon slots to their default places and still have my own key setup working as I want it to work while not commanding.

Iam no programmer, but I feel like this should be fairly easy to fix and would make my gaming experience much better and others too who uses the arrow keys. :)
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    It's also really annoying to me that the F key is used as a commander to select buildings and powers, since it's my push to talk key.
  • PaquPaqu Join Date: 2012-02-15 Member: 145785Members
    I tryed to play as a commander the other day and it gets frustrating without hotkeyed buildings. So it got me wondering that could it be possible to edit one of the game files which contains the key binds and perhaps that way add another key for the same action?