[199] Mouse aiming delay

Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
<div class="IPBDescription">any way to reduce it?</div>when i'm moving my mouse, there is a delay before my view is turning on the screen. for me, this adds a significant difficulty to aiming.
are there any ways e.g. settings to reduce this? what does it depend on?

Comments

• SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    This might be machine/settings specific. Personally I don't have noticable mouse delay. Is it significantly lagging behind for you? Vsync might be the culprit, try forcing it on/off from your video card settings.

I know mouse delay when I see some, having dealt with bad monitors and vsync problems before.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Try r_rawinput 1. Maybe it helps.
  • RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1911820:date=Mar 10 2012, 04:19 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Mar 10 2012, 04:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when i'm moving my mouse, there is a delay before my view is turning on the screen. for me, this adds a significant difficulty to aiming.
    are there any ways e.g. settings to reduce this? what does it depend on?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you arent using the flash menu mod by chance are you? I get this same problem when I use that mod.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited March 2012
    the delay is not horrible as in unplayable. i'd estimate it's like 300ms but this is more like a guess :)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Vsync might be the culprit, try forcing it on/off from your video card settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try r_rawinput 1. Maybe it helps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ty, i will try those.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you arent using the flash menu mod by chance are you? I get this same problem when I use that mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no, i'm not using it. it seems quite handy but i'd rather wait for the official improvements.
    sadly neither worked...

what i figured out though, is that the delay is significantly reduced when i put the game to the lowest res, also disabling atmospherics, shadows and bloom. it feels like theres still some minor delay though.
    well, could this be a performance issue in the end? however, i did these observations in the ready room, having 40 fps while idle and about 30 fps while moving around, which is not so terribly bad...
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Are you playing in window mode? Try disabling Aero, I heard it can cause mouse lag. I think you do that by going to the NS2.exe properties.
  • WebbieWebbie Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24769Members
    edited March 2012
    Is it actually this issue (which is still unresolved):
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115976" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=115976</a>
    ?
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you playing in window mode? Try disabling Aero<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no i'm not playing in window mode. and i've chosen the classic, non-transparent theme for win 7 (i guess this disables aero?).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is it actually this issue (which is still unresolved):<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    no, although i know this issue as well. dead zones in aiming can be annoying if you try to snipe something, yes.
    but my issue is about a delay between physical mouse movement and mouse movement on the screen.
    i_rawinput actually helped (i didn't know it started with i_). that's breaking mousebuttons 4 and 5 though, i'll try console binding them sometime.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh sorry my bad... Forgot that it was i_rawinput and not r_rawinput. Sorry buddy
  • hamham Join Date: 2011-08-31 Member: 119370Members, Constellation
    Take this opportunity to ensure your polling rate is set to 1000hz and disable mouse acceleration if you haven't already.