shank the onos

officialpistolofficialpistol Join Date: 2012-03-09 Member: 148501Members
whenever the aliens achieve onos, it is usually game over. strategy is no longer viable for the opposing marines.
in most cases the marines either recycle or turtle into main, with no hope of recovery. it would be a nice feature
if there was some sort of damage bonus against the onos, if MULTIPLE marines resorted to using their axe and
jumping the onos. balance would be maintained due to the fact that they are exchanging ranged weaponry
and man power for damage boost. this suggestion would also promote teamwork for both teams; aliens onos would
have to rely on teammates watching their back instead of being able to kill the whole team on its own during combat.
on the other hand marines would have to be coordinated and decisive; furthermore, work as a squad to take down
the harassing onos with the axe. let's face it a gang of marines shanking the onos in the soft spot should be more
effective than taking pop shots at the beast before you have to reload.

pros -
promotes teamwork for both team,
allows for a well coordinated second chance for the marines,
very logical and natural way of play, our guns didn't do much let's all jump it with knife

cons -
leaves the whole squad vulnerable,
temporarily leaves the squad without ranged arms,
has to be decisive, something you cant just pull off whenever,

just a quick idea as I was playing.

Comments

• RanakastraszRanakastrasz Join Date: 2012-02-26 Member: 147512Members
    Eh, the real problem is that the game drags on once the end result is already determined. That, and the alien's slippery slope for teching up...
  • SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    Your forgettin that marines don't have exosuit and heavy machine guns implemented and welding doors shut implemented yet. These 3 things could change the game in a heart beat.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Frankly, I'm not opposed to the game ending quickly after onos has been unlocked. I expect a similar thing to happen if aliens let marines get exo suits once they are released.
  • officialpistolofficialpistol Join Date: 2012-03-09 Member: 148501Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911700:date=Mar 9 2012, 04:04 PM:name=Ranakastrasz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ranakastrasz @ Mar 9 2012, 04:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911700"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Eh, the real problem is that the game drags on once the end result is already determined. That, and the alien's slippery slope for teching up...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this idea would hardly make the game drag on...if anything this strategy would end the game sooner
    if attempted uncooperatively

not a game changing idea or anything, just adds more depth into what you can do strategically
    and it opens up many more possibilities for the outcome.
    The issue is that the end tech, Onos, is intended to be powerful, and nearly game-ending, but obviously not invulnerable.
    So, If you want to make it easy (or significantly easier, anyhow) to kill it with low tech, then the alien's game-0ending option will be far less effective, allowing the marines to hold the aliens off much longer before dying. Im sorry, but if aliens have 3 hives, the respawn rate, as well as triple upgrades is going to make it essentially impossible for marines to come back. This will not do enough to allow it, imo, but will allow the game to go on longer.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Damage bonus vs onos if multiple melee attacks are registered? Sounds good, if the onos gets a crowd control ability (haven't seen nor played an onos yet, sorry).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911708:date=Mar 9 2012, 11:30 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 9 2012, 11:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Frankly, I'm not opposed to the game ending quickly after onos has been unlocked. I expect a similar thing to happen if aliens let marines get exo suits once they are released.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am, what's the point in a class if the point of it is to stop you playing?

The onos is a fun class, and exosuits sound cool too, you should be able to play with them.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911708:date=Mar 9 2012, 05:30 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 9 2012, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Frankly, I'm not opposed to the game ending quickly after onos has been unlocked. I expect a similar thing to happen if aliens let marines get exo suits once they are released.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree with this. Exosuits and onos are supposed to be game enders. Both sides need to prevent the other from reaching this point.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911815:date=Mar 10 2012, 10:58 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Mar 10 2012, 10:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with this. Exosuits and onos are supposed to be game enders. Both sides need to prevent the other from reaching this point.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then what's the point in having them, why not just add an arbitrary 'I win' button that is hard to research? Why waste time modelling and balancing and making fun a pair of classes, the sole point of which is to avoid being used.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    You completely miss the point Chris.

If both teams have lvl 3 tech within a close time, then the Game-Enders should sort of cancel each other out, and leave it down to player skill. However, if one team get tech 3 way before the other, then they deserve to steam roller the opposition into nothing in a very short period of time.

There are loads and loads of these threads that try and prolong the game for the team that is dead. I want to see the Level 3 team be able to tear a new hole in the lower tech team opponents. That is the point of upgrading and out-teching the other team. If level 3 is in for more than 5 mins before the next team get level 3, then it should be over. 5 mins with lvl 3 tech vs lower tech should end the game, without a doubt.

The arbitrary I-Win button already exists, just most players are too dumb to see when the point has been reached and continue to flog a dead horse thinking they can make a come back, when they can't.

And it is well BEFORE tech 3 as well, the I-Win button :)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1911697:date=Mar 9 2012, 04:55 PM:name=officialpistol)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (officialpistol @ Mar 9 2012, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->whenever the aliens achieve onos, it is usually game over. strategy is no longer viable for the opposing marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's the whole point.
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    So if the Onos isn't a game ender.... then when will the game ###### end? Marines will have exosuit as their own game-ender soon too.

OP is stupid.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    teams may not have the res to buy their sh*t aswell, so rushing to the tech is not an automatic "win".

God, theres so many factors that play a massive role in the game, i cant even begin to explain how f**king stupid threads like these continue to get pumped out every single day by stupid ###### shortsighted rtards such as yourself.
    O AND THE GAME ISNT FINISHED YET? SH*T DID UWE REALLY MISS SOMETHING HERE? OMG THE ONOS ENDS THE GAME IN A HALF COMPLETED BETA. BETTER JUST FORGET IT ALLTOGETHEROIPEGJrhoifdsxmjkhniopdggkm,fnpol;['
    jgbm
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911837:date=Mar 10 2012, 05:42 AM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Mar 10 2012, 05:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if the Onos isn't a game ender.... then when will the game ###### end? Marines will have exosuit as their own game-ender soon too.

OP is stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

are you kidding me? you have the audacity to call someone stupid because you lack
    the capacity and foresight? you really think natural selection 2 revolves around the
    onos? you really think that there shouldn't be any further development after onos and exo?
    get your head out your ass and please think about what you're saying before your
    call someone stupid. ha. just putting out ideas...so many technical factors to consider,
    once exo comes out to equalize the onos I can see many games being drawn out longer.
    like most strategy games including chess there has to be a loopholes for the pawn to
    remove the queen for strategic depth...
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911911:date=Mar 10 2012, 08:42 PM:name=officialpistol)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (officialpistol @ Mar 10 2012, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911911"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->are you kidding me? you have the audacity to call someone stupid because you lack
    the capacity and foresight? you really think natural selection 2 revolves around the
    onos? you really think that there shouldn't be any further development after onos and exo?
    get your head out your ass and please think about what you're saying before your
    call someone stupid. ha. just putting out ideas...so many technical factors to consider,
    once exo comes out to equalize the onos I can see many games being drawn out longer.
    like most strategy games including chess there has to be a loopholes for the pawn to
    remove the queen for strategic depth...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Soo.. you're saying we should ditch the idea just because it will be difficult to balance? Jeez.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I'm sorry, but it really doesn't make sense, that at the highest tier of technology we go back to spears and stones to kill the mammoth.
    <!--quoteo(post=1911921:date=Mar 10 2012, 03:48 PM:name=Bicsum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bicsum @ Mar 10 2012, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sorry, but it really doesn't make sense, that at the highest tier of technology we go back to spears and stones to kill the mammoth.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lol

Well, as long as you have around 10-15 marines to kill a single onos, then that makes sense as a reference. Obviously tho, If there are 10 mairnes, you would expect 10 aliens, for support, nullifing any possible advantage.

Still, boosting damage of the melee weapons to an onos would not really hurt.
    <!--quoteo(post=1911930:date=Mar 10 2012, 02:16 PM:name=Ranakastrasz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ranakastrasz @ Mar 10 2012, 02:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol

Well, as long as you have around 10-15 marines to kill a single onos, then that makes sense as a reference. Obviously tho, If there are 10 mairnes, you would expect 10 aliens, for support, nullifing any possible advantage.

Still, boosting damage of the melee weapons to an onos would not really hurt.i<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

exactly, its not a big game changing idea..it just opens up strategic possibilities
    in certain scenarios gives that there's ample opportunity..its really not something
    that's always going to work...the outcome can be failure or success.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    Onos can still die

the only time onos feel unstoppable is when aliens is winning anyway in map control, RTs, etc, etc and htey can afford to have like 3 onos, 3 fades, 2 gorges, etc all running into your base.

oh btw ONOs really suck at defending a hive vs jetpackers
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1911837:date=Mar 10 2012, 01:42 PM:name=BearTaxi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BearTaxi @ Mar 10 2012, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So if the Onos isn't a game ender.... then when will the game ###### end? Marines will have exosuit as their own game-ender soon too.

OP is stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh come on. Stop acting like a little child, who insults everyone with another opinion. Acting like a ###### will not convince anyone and that only makes you the stupid one.

@OP: Wait until Exos and HMG are in before balance the endgame performance.
  • GrissiGrissi Join Date: 2003-08-28 Member: 20314Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Simple answer to op.
    Because of the efforts aliens need to pull off to get the onos(basicly win the game, you need enough map dominance to hold 3 hives + 75 res), Onos should be end the game rather quickly. Onos is not really part of the metagame since you reqire 3 hive to get him and most of the time your team has already won at that point.

It would be a diffrent story if you could get him before that point.