Power node repairing speed

TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
edited March 2012 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Any point in killing them?</div>I've stopped attacking them around the map, but assumed rushing the power node with an onos was still a valid tactic. However whenever I did last night, 3 marines would suicide rush to repair in instantly.

In the end I just solo'ed the CC, so instant death still isn't easy to avoid for marines (which is a bit daft, to my mind IPs should always tactically better to take out before CC).

What are your thoughts on this? Sad that power nodes are now pointless to kill? I'm hoping aliens get a way to prevent the nodes from being enabled when infestation is around - keep the lights out at least a bit longer.

Comments

• RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think power nodes are redundant and unneeded. Simply have it marines cant build on infestation but everywhere else. No power node confusion.

My first time comming i click on the damn power node for a good 30-40 seconds trying to figure out how to build it with my team asking wth the RT was. No idea why they magically appear AFTER you build the extractor.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    Yeah, hopefully the instant repair is just a bug and will get fixed soon.

The only effective way to keep the power off in a room is to use Onos and keep smashing the PN after a Marine repairs it in ~5 seconds...
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911045:date=Mar 7 2012, 12:09 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Mar 7 2012, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911045"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think power nodes are redundant and unneeded. Simply have it marines cant build on infestation but everywhere else. No power node confusion.

My first time comming i click on the damn power node for a good 30-40 seconds trying to figure out how to build it with my team asking wth the RT was. No idea why they magically appear AFTER you build the extractor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They used to be able to build when clicked on, but I guess now we need to invest in an area by dropping RT and whatnot.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    As it is currently, power nodes are a tactical option. Sometimes if you're a gorge frinstance it's easier to bomb the power from safety. If you're starting a base rush, hitting the power will panic marines and draw their attention. They are absolutely not pointless to kill, but I agree that it is kind of annoying to constantly have to tell newbies to bite the buildings first.

Also agree that as far as area control mechanisms go, aliens have an expensive, weak and difficult to control one while marines have a free, strong, and easily controlled one. I can almost guarantee this will not be addressed while we still have the alien win percentages we do now though.
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911054:date=Mar 7 2012, 02:32 PM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Mar 7 2012, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911054"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As it is currently, power nodes are a tactical option. Sometimes if you're a gorge frinstance it's easier to bomb the power from safety. If you're starting a base rush, hitting the power will panic marines and draw their attention. They are absolutely not pointless to kill, but I agree that it is kind of annoying to constantly have to tell newbies to bite the buildings first.

Also agree that as far as area control mechanisms go, aliens have an expensive, weak and difficult to control one while marines have a free, strong, and easily controlled one. I can almost guarantee this will not be addressed while we still have the alien win percentages we do now though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Once the final alien abilities appear, exosuits and HMG... should be pretty balanced. Exosuit and HMG are massively powerful compared to fades being able to shoot, and gorges being able to put up webs.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Celerity Onos :) It's amazingly quick :)
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    There is a point, but it is very situational. The darkness for those 3 sec can often be quite helpful but I think that a powernode dying should be a bigger deal for the marines then it currently is.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Powernodes should be vulnerable to a tactical strike, but more resilient against a single attacker wearing them down. The mechanic currently seems a bit backward. The repairing of a destroyed PN is easy and quick, but a damaged PN that is still active is difficult to repair. Nanoshields should be used on PNs more often. Lore-wise, it would make more sense that repairing an active PN would be easier, since there is available power. Once the PN goes down, there should be more effort and resources needed to rebuild it.

I don't really see a way to tweak the current PN and repairing implementation to resolve the quirky metagame of when to destroy and when to just damage a PN. There still could be a way though. Perhaps there could be a larger difference between deploying a fresh PN at the beginning of a game and repairing a destroyed PN.
  • ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I noticed playing marine com that 2 macs repairing a powernode can outdo the damage of at least a single onos. Maybe even one Mac, but definitely 2.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    this also buggs me. as skulk, i feel it is better to only damage powernodes instead of fully destroying them. i think repairing them with a welder even takes longer than re-building it from scratch. and if they don't have welders or macs, it is easy to disable their extractor as soon as it is build, also adding that handy darkness-time...

maybe marines would be allowed to repair powernodes up to 40% (warning-threshold) even without welders? on the other hand, only allowing them to restore destroyed ones to 40% without a welder. this is because it does not make sense to me that marines can repair a destroyed powernode but not a damaged one...
  • XosteanXostean Join Date: 2012-02-17 Member: 146370Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911050:date=Mar 7 2012, 03:19 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Mar 7 2012, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911050"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They used to be able to build when clicked on, but I guess now we need to invest in an area by dropping RT and whatnot.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Last time i played commander you had the option to build it manually by clicking on it.

but i guess they removed it from the game?

As for the repair speed i think it's fine. The onos alone can already 5 shot the thing to death by itself, which when cut can be a HUGE devastating blow the marine team since all of their buildings stop working (Trust me, Can't tell you how many times we won a game against a heavily fortified marine team because we cut the power rendering all of their turrets and assets useless).

Perhaps the devs can change it so the power node builds slower if the player does not have a welder? I think that would be an even balance
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1911249:date=Mar 8 2012, 06:42 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Mar 8 2012, 06:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe marines would be allowed to repair powernodes up to 40% (warning-threshold) even without welders? on the other hand, only allowing them to restore destroyed ones to 40% without a welder. this is because it does not make sense to me that marines can repair a destroyed powernode but not a damaged one...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This makes some sense, I like it.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Here's a thought: Make power nodes cost Tres. Suddenly they become worth destroying and protecting, and commanders now have to think about whether they want to invest in the risk of new territory.

Right now, Coms can drop over the entire map and just shield & recycle anything vulnerable when it's hit. This would reduce the effectiveness of that tactic.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1911286:date=Mar 8 2012, 08:58 AM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Mar 8 2012, 08:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here's a thought: Make power nodes cost Tres. Suddenly they become worth destroying and protecting, and commanders now have to think about whether they want to invest in the risk of new territory.

Right now, Coms can drop over the entire map and just shield & recycle anything vulnerable when it's hit. This would reduce the effectiveness of that tactic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would cripple the Marines. Cyst network is the counterpart to the Power Node. Cysts will cost P.Res in the upcoming build, which will be vastly "cheaper" than T.Res. Such fundamental structures should not require the team to sacrifice tech or significant (team) resource to replace.

Losing a Power Node already puts Marines in the room at a disadvantage, as their structures no longer function, and marines' vision are impaired. The only major problem right now, is the ridiculously fast repair rate.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited March 2012
    It doesn't really make sense to me for anything that benefits the whole team to cost p.res...
  • MajinMajin Join Date: 2003-05-29 Member: 16829Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1911249:date=Mar 8 2012, 07:42 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Mar 8 2012, 07:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911249"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this also buggs me. as skulk, i feel it is better to only damage powernodes instead of fully destroying them. i think repairing them with a welder even takes longer than re-building it from scratch. and if they don't have welders or macs, it is easy to disable their extractor as soon as it is build, also adding that handy darkness-time...

maybe marines would be allowed to repair powernodes up to 40% (warning-threshold) even without welders? on the other hand, only allowing them to restore destroyed ones to 40% without a welder. this is because it does not make sense to me that marines can repair a destroyed powernode but not a damaged one...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Right now, its only worthwhile to kill the powernode in a room full of marine structures (think marine start or a major expansion). The key is to kill the powernode then any marines who try to come repair it. Many times I see a onos rush marine start, kill the powernode, then start attacking something else. If they had just camped the powernode so no marine could get close to repair it, it would have been GG right then.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, it is true that it is less viable to kill power nodes now, but they are still a good way to take a well-defended base down. After all, you can take down a PG, Armory, obs, turrets and IP with just killing the powernode, then you just need to manage to stop the marines from repairing it.

On the other hand killing power nodes which just fuel an extractor or both an extractor and an armory is completly useless right now. Taking down the buildings would be faster and hurt the marine time as they loose 10 / 20 TRES.

The powernode building speed/repair speed seems a bit akward atm, I am sure it can be tweaked...
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1911290:date=Mar 8 2012, 08:42 AM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Mar 8 2012, 08:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would cripple the Marines. Cyst network is the counterpart to the Power Node. Cysts will cost P.Res in the upcoming build, which will be vastly "cheaper" than T.Res. Such fundamental structures should not require the team to sacrifice tech or significant (team) resource to replace.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cysts cost Pres now for gorges, and Energy for Khomms. Are you saying Khomms will pay P.Res for them too? That could be interesting...
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    i like the repair rate. it's no longer an auto-win for the aliens, but with good timing it can severely cripple the marines.