GameOvermind

Comments

• MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907755:date=Feb 28 2012, 07:27 AM:name=invTempest)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (invTempest @ Feb 28 2012, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907755"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I was doing some testing on this issue and I can cause the server to crash upon RDP connection without running overmind:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 2/27/2012 11:30:41 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: Winnie
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Server.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f47fdc8
    Faulting module name: Server.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4f47fdc8
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00007de3
    Faulting process id: 0x854
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ccf5da0b5b7a44
    Faulting application path: c:\servers\pub2\Server.exe
    Faulting module path: c:\servers\pub2\Server.exe
    Report Id: 5a28cae1-61cd-11e1-a5ba-f46d0440cd45

So this looks to be the fault of the game rather than your mod.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you know that what you just copied here is totally useless without PDBs or without developer having them?
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Using a PDB to attempt to diagnose a problem with a release-build can be very problematic. If the problem arises even without GameOvermind, the game must be buggering up the stack somewhere, or ###### with Windows in a way it shouldn't, at which point GameOvermind (and as such Qt) runs into garbage that wasn't its fault to begin with. I thought it was odd for an access-violation to occur within Qt, it being a rather well-developed framework and all.

I guess you'll have to send the error-text along with a dump to the devs. You could also mention this has (probably) been occuring since Max wrote the map-switching code (and started to mess around with multiple-threads). This was around B191.
  • autograderautograder Join Date: 2011-06-24 Member: 106181Members
    edited March 2012
    Yep, I just crashed a full server, woops...
    Major milestone reached, all of the Luabind-code is gone and the mod now directly interacts with Lua's C-API. Now to pick up the pieces of everything that has been broken in the process, and I can make another assessment of the gamestate-recorder's performance.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    So is there a way to ban players in the current OM version (either through console or via editing a file manually)? In particular, we're starting to get cases of racism and other trolling behavior on our 156 servers and only being able to kick is a bit of an underwhelming response.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    There sure is! Ill explain what I know, and player can provide any corrections. Currently there are two ways of banning someone, a proper ban or a short term ban. Not the best terminology, but a proper ban is one that you enter into the configuration file "NS2GmOvrmind_ServerConfiguration_Bans.lua"

You'll find a line that contains:

--NS2GmOvrmind.Bans.Add("Average Bob","","STEAM_0:0:12345678","Griefing");

Just make a copy of that line, remove the preceding -- and change the 3 variables into what you need. First is a friendly name that will help you remember who it is, the second i'm not sure what it is, just leave blank, the third is their steam ID (obtainable from om_players, or through Steam, view, players and you get a list of recent players, go to steam profile and paste the URL into a website like "http://steamidfinder.com"), and the fourth is a description of why you wanted to ban them.

This file is loaded each time the server is launched, so the player you have banned will never have the opportunity to get into your server again, so long as ovrmind is running. When they try to join, it halts the connection and informs them of the ban.

The short term ban that I spoke of is done slightly differently, using the command om_ban. When you use this command, it does NOT save the ban to the above configuration file, you will need to do that as well manually if you want to. What this ban does is not actually ban the player from joining your server, but it allows them to join, sends them a notification that they are banned, and then it kicks them a few seconds later. This is the only way to ban someone without restarting the server.
    Ima get you to write the new manual endar.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the second i'm not sure what it is, just leave blank<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It should be explained right above that line:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->--[[ Adds a ban to the Overmind-system
    In: STRING UserName
    In: STRING IP-Mask (Not implemented, use "")
    In: STRING SteamID (Classic variant, use "STEAM_0:n:x")
    In: STRING Reason
    Out: Nill ]]--
    --NS2GmOvrmind.Bans.Add("Average Bob","","STEAM_0:0:12345678","Griefing");<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea it's pretty cumbersome to add bans right now. Fortunatly the new version has automatic file-IO\SQL-management, so a simple om_ban will be sufficient for permanent bans, no more mucking about with config-files.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1909945:date=Mar 4 2012, 01:20 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 4 2012, 01:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea it's pretty cumbersome to add bans right now. Fortunatly the new version has automatic file-IO\SQL-management, so a simple om_ban will be sufficient for permanent bans, no more mucking about with config-files.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Looking forward to it, but would definitely like to see it sooner rather than later. We've been fortunate to not really need to actively admin our servers, so having access to kick/ban wasn't particularly important. But now with the increased popularity, we're starting to see a greater frequency of griefers/cheaters/trolls needing the banhammer.
    I understand, especially after seeing the 300-player barrier broken just now. But, most of the work I'm doing at this time is architectural, the kind of work you want to do before adding things on top. I could've put out a version ahead of time, but replacing for example the Lua binding-layer with a custom-built would've been that much more difficult and time-consuming. Same story with all the hooks\overrides\layers in-place to make the gamestate-recorder work, it is something you should do sooner rather than later.

Additionally, consider that this mod is written 99.9% in C++ (and indeed C). As a consequence it is that much more vulnerable to unstabilities and internal-errors. Per example, whenever Lua runs into issues, it throws out an error and takes a step backwards in the stack and (attempts to) continue execution, where a DLL may outright crash and kill the server in doing so. Knowing that this mod runs on quite a few very active servers, I'm hesistant to put out a version prematurely. Because of this, my release-cycle is much longer than that of rogue Lua-scripters.

I think there's still some time, the player-count isn't as high as to introduce a significant amount of griefers\cheaters (most of the players are here through enthusiasm about NS). I want to be able to have it completed before that starts to really happen. It'll be worth the wait, and should last for the remainder of NS2's lifespan.
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've ordered a GameServers.com NS2 server and tried to run GameOvermind on it, unfortunately we ran into some troubles which we can't fix atm.

First off all let me describe how I installed the mod, maybe there's the first mistake in it.

Installation:

- Extracted all files to a local directory, took all files as described in the installation-manual and uploaded them to my /<Customer-ID>/ns2/ directory, which is similar to the <Steam>\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ directory. So I copied all 5 DLLs and the Ns2-GmOvrmind folder.
    - Opened a ticket to allow me to run the server with "-game gameovermind" as described in the run-manual. Parameters were added after a couple of minutes, so no problem there.
    - As I knew from menumod that the mod-name after the "-game" has to match the folder-name of the mod I renamed the "Ns2-GmOvrmind" folder to "gameovermind"

That's basically everything I did. After the server has been restarted I tried to connect to my server and received a error prompt while the map was loaded: "invalid data". It confused me a bit so I tried it several times again without any luck, read the instructions a couple of times again and from my point there should be everything OK.
    After a small break I installed the mod locally, just for testing, tried to connect to my server and this time I didn't received any error prompt telling me I have wrong data, but this time I got a blackscreen after the has been successful loaded.

So my questions are:
    - Is there anything wrong the way I installed the mod ?
    - Is it really required to install the mod locally in order to connect to the server and use the mod ? Thought it's a server-side mod only, as there you didn't mention it somewhere that we should also install the mod on our clients.
    - Is the blackscreen problem ( after I installed the mod locally ) a known error and maybe caused by a wrong mod-configuration ?

I just want to have a basic admin mod installed on my server that I can use without any client mod installed so that everyone with vanilla NS2 can connect to my server.

Looking forward to your reply :)
    Best regards
    Oh well, I guess the lack of a proper manual isn't anybody's fault but mine. You needn't rename anything, just copy the contents of the zip\rar into the "natural selection 2"-directory. This means the DLLs will sit alongside Server.exe and "NS2GmOvrmind" is a seperate directory inside "natural selection 2". You then use "-game NS2GmOvrmind" (after the directory-name of the mod).
  • cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2012
    Yap, I just renamed that I don't need to re-open the ticket again :)
    So I did everything correct, the DLLs are next to the NS2.exe and Server.exe along with it's GameOvermind-directory.

You may edit your first post if it's still possible or rename the folder in your .ZIP archive, so it may be more easier for guys who just starts with installing your mod, like me. :)

Do I really need to install the mod local in order to connect and actually use it ?

If yes, any ideas about the black screen issue ?
    edited March 2012
    You shouldn't get a black-screen, it means the server hasn't loaded correctly. Clients don't need anything to play on GameOvermind-servers, you probably already have played on plenty of servers who run it.

The mod's directory has to be "NS2GmOvrmind" right? Not GameOvermind.

Oh and the first-post is incorrect because I've been rewriting it for the new version, guess I didn't take into account users new to this mod.
  • BulletSponge51BulletSponge51 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148294Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm so sorry for being such a noob, but I'm new to serve administration. Anyway, I have an NS2 server hosted by Hypernia. They have an auto install feature for v10 and we have it working, and the server is up and has a great ping. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to login to take control. I've tried all different combinations of syntax and u\p, but I seem to keep failing. I've searched for 3 days on google to try and find some clue as to how to get this done but to no avail. If one of you kind gentlemen could break it down barney style for me or point me in the direction of a resource to use I'll be very much obliged. Thank you in advance.
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1910839:date=Mar 6 2012, 08:16 PM:name=BulletSponge51)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BulletSponge51 @ Mar 6 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm so sorry for being such a noob, but I'm new to serve administration. Anyway, I have an NS2 server hosted by Hypernia. They have an auto install feature for v10 and we have it working, and the server is up and has a great ping. Problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to login to take control. I've tried all different combinations of syntax and u\p, but I seem to keep failing. I've searched for 3 days on google to try and find some clue as to how to get this done but to no avail. If one of you kind gentlemen could break it down barney style for me or point me in the direction of a resource to use I'll be very much obliged. Thank you in advance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So if the user config file is correctly setup it should log you in automatically when you join the server (it recognizes you via your Steam ID).

Basically, you want to add this line to your \NS2GmOvrmind\Configuration\NS2GmOvrmind_ServerConfiguration_Users.lua file.
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->NS2GmOvrmind.Users.Add("Average Joe","","STEAM_0:1:23456789","","",NS2GmOvrmind.Priviliges.All);<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->
    Where you replace Average Joe and STEAM_0:1:23456789 with your desired login name and steam ID.

If that's setup properly, there was a bug where it wouldn't auto login on server join, but you could still login just by typing om_login.
  • BulletSponge51BulletSponge51 Join Date: 2012-03-06 Member: 148294Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you ScradyBob, I really appreciate you giving me the info and not making me feel stupid for it.
    Ok, I had them add that line to the file, apparently they have access to .lua files locked for security reasons. Anyway, on the assumption that copy and pasting isn't to hard for them, I still can't seem to login. Could you please show me the exact syntax for the command needed to log in and\or why it wouldn't be responding to my steam id?
    Yay, the mod is finally working! :) :)

Just another question: Will be there any inGame-Menu like f.e. the Mani Admin Plugin for Counter-Strike: Source has? This way it would be much easier to use instead of the console commands.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Hey Sponge, try using the following command:

om_ping

The server should respond with the overmind version, and it says Pong! You can do this on any server running overmind, without any privileges. Next try the command:
    om_login
    but I believe that was only relevant to a specific build of NS2 (somewhere around 189?), but try it anyway.

Feel free to add me on steam if you want to try some more stuff.

edit:

And to chaos lord, player has stated he would like to add this functionality, but it cannot be done until NS2 implements lua synchronization/server downloads.
    Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Finally got it running after a bunch of work. One last question though. I skimmed through the forum posts looking to see if a command was published for it, but has level switching via the console been implemented yet?
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    In console the command:

map mapname

changes the map. I believe you can use:

om_servercommand map ns2_summit

for example, but I haven't tested myself, as I only have 1 map on the overmind server :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1911057:date=Mar 7 2012, 12:40 PM:name=BulletSponge51)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BulletSponge51 @ Mar 7 2012, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it. Finally got it running after a bunch of work. One last question though. I skimmed through the forum posts looking to see if a command was published for it, but has level switching via the console been implemented yet?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not yet, since it was added after player had released the current fork of OM.

<!--quoteo(post=1911059:date=Mar 7 2012, 12:48 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soul_Rider @ Mar 7 2012, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->om_servercommand map ns2_summit<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is how you'd have to do it using OM. Though, I will warn you that I had issues with this crashing the server when I tried to change the map on a previous version (v10, I believe).

If you want to server to simply rotate maps, you can enable that via the steps shown <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">here under 'Map Rotation'</a>.
    That mapswitch-crash is fixed in the current version, also, "om_servercommand changemap ns2_mapname" is the exact command you're looking for.

Naturally there's an om_map-command in the rewrite.
  • Squiffy101Squiffy101 Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62608Members
    edited March 2012
    Morning Guys,

Finally got OM working on the server last night (thanks to player/cH40z-Lord/and the others on this page) with a ping reply, access to help and modstatus. The one thing I couldn't figure was when I added my steam id to the user config, I was still unable to be verified as admin.

I tried 3 ways, 1st with STEAM_0:1:xxxxxxx, 2nd with the STEAM_ removed (as mentioned at the bottom of the user file) and 3rd by re-introducing the STEAM_ but adding a username and login in their respective fields.

I've attached a link to a .gif of the file incase I've placed it in the wrong location

<a href="https://plus.google.com/photos/117573202070612783611/albums/5717832428108308241?authkey=CN7NnvuP7ri8pgE" target="_blank">OM user config</a>

I know it's probably something I've incorrectly set up but can anyone shed any light?

Many thanks, Squiffy101
    Haha, you've put it in comments. Remove the "--[[--" "-]]--" bits.
    <!--quoteo(post=1911521:date=Mar 9 2012, 11:07 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 9 2012, 11:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haha, you've put it in comments. Remove the "--[[--" "-]]--" bits.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OMG!!! I feel such a complete @+!*@+!!!!!! Wood for trees. I've just shown my mate your reply and he's taking the rise completely!!!

Cheers player ;-)
    OK...time to open myself up for more ridicule :-)

I've read in many replies that there is the ability to web admin the game built into NS2 but it wasn't particularly usable.

I then saw that OM over-rides this but I can find no instructions on how to access/define/use this. Can anyone explain from scratch how I do this if it's possible.

(Want to watch the server whilst at work)

Regards, Squiffy101
    Just set-up your web-admin as you would with vanilla NS2, and GameOvermind will simply hijack it with its own version.

But GameOvermind's is pretty bloody slow and unstable(ish), kind of a test-version if you will, never really developed in detail.
    <!--quoteo(post=1912349:date=Mar 12 2012, 03:42 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 12 2012, 03:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1912349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just set-up your web-admin as you would with vanilla NS2, and GameOvermind will simply hijack it with its own version.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can anyone point me in the direction of the ns2 web admin setup. I haven't managed to find anything except elusive comments!
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server#Web_Administration" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde..._Administration</a>