NS2 Wiki Needs YOU!

PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted GorgeRichmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
edited March 2012 in NS2 E-Team
Whether you are a fellow Marine or a vicious (but cuddly) Kharaa, the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" target="_blank">Natural Selection 2 Wiki</a> can use your knowledge and wisdom of the game to help create history in the making.

Since we're getting an influx of new players, of which the numbers will increase as release approaches, I figure that the much-neglected Wiki can sure use some polishing. Quite a few active members (such as Quovatis, Korvo, Heroman117, Kouji_San, myself, etc) have been contributing with great effort to keep the Wiki updated, in hopes of providing convenient access to information about the game.

However, we can only do so much at one time, and with many new/vet players coming into NS2, 2 Commanders are better than one!

So, for one, the Wiki can use more raw talent in the arts department, for things such as graphical design for the main pages for the sides, structures, abilities, etc (because let's be honest, less text more images = more visual satisfaction). As well, a large amount of the Wiki in other languages require long-overdue updating, which hopefully should be a cake-walk for some members in our community :)

Let's help us to help you help us all!

Comments

• Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    One article in particular that i know some members of this community would be able to improve upon is the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Wall-running" target="_blank">Wall Jumping</a> article, as i was only able to add minimal information to give new players an idea on how to perform a wall jump.

I know there are some players that are very skilled in wall jumping on this forum, especially after seeing that skulk jumping map thread, so your insight into how exactly the mechanic works, how to maximize the speed boost, and other info like that would be tremendously appreciated :)
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Is there a community section or a place to discuss general wiki policy? Aside from some grammatical concerns, I'd like to bring up the idea of adding in pages for health and armor.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1910292:date=Mar 5 2012, 04:01 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Mar 5 2012, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there a community section or a place to discuss general wiki policy? Aside from some grammatical concerns, I'd like to bring up the idea of adding in pages for health and armor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think its open for any registered member to make any page/edits they want. At least, that's what I've always done.
    <!--quoteo(post=1910327:date=Mar 5 2012, 07:42 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 5 2012, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think its open for any registered member to make any page/edits they want. At least, that's what I've always done.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Shouldn't there be a central place for coordination and discussion? Otherwise you're liable to get into edit wars or have good meaning chaps go off in bad directions.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1910357:date=Mar 5 2012, 08:16 PM:name=Techercizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Techercizer @ Mar 5 2012, 08:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1910357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shouldn't there be a central place for coordination and discussion? Otherwise you're liable to get into edit wars or have good meaning chaps go off in bad directions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Currently we make due with the discussion pages for the particular articles in need of change. I proposed an idea to streamline the pages some time ago, and it's a process that's still ongoing. If you have any suggestions or ideas, don't be afraid to try them out :)

I usually just withhold from editing a page when another member is editing it (by checking Recent Changes).
    edited March 2012
    Well here's some suggestions.

- A page for armor and health explaining what they do, how they affect the player, and how to gain or lose them.

- A page titled Community: Portal dedicated to the proposal and debate of large-scale wiki changes, and to directing editors to pages that need it most. The main "article" of it could be locked to administrators and contain information about developing articles or new changes that need to be updated, and the talk page could be open to all.

If nobody has anything against these, I suppose I'll make a start on all three of them in a day or two. They seem like good ideas to me.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I like them. Also, there's a <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/NS2_community_wiki:Community_Portal" target="_blank">Community portal</a> page already, accessible from the navigation categories on the left.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    I signed up today, and edited the modding page, to make the instructions for those launching a mod a bit easier for those without previous experience of games with user installable mods.

I was also wondering, should a little page be made up in the community section about the mod I am working on, and the MvM mod from MacGlaspie? As this seems to be the kind of thing the community portal talks about on the home page. Maybe a section called Mods would be a good idea. Also wouldn't Modding be better as a section title, for tutorials etc. There are a number already posted on the forums. For example I added a posted in one of my threads a tutorial on implementing team sizes (7v1 in my example) . Things like this could be really helpful for building a resource for modders, to make modding even easier.
    NS2 community wiki:Community Portal seems like such a cumbersome, haphazard name though. Any chance we could move it to Community: Portal?

It's good to hear we have one though. I guess we could always make a Community: Tasks or Community: Organize page for general wiki discussion and planning.