For some reason, this seems a bit sketchy

RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
HOW TO DARKEN YOUR HIVE ROOM AS ALIEN TO GAIN A TERRITORIAL ADVANTAGE:
1. have marine comm socket the power node
2. let a friendly marine come in and build the power node
3. destroy the power node

those first 2 seem a bit sketchy...

Comments

• DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Err... sorry, I can't follow you right there.
    So, you're saying that marines doing stupid stuff can give aliens a slight advantage? Is that some sort of news? I don't get it.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The point is, that the aliens have no chance of darkening a room, when the marines never build a power node there.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    Wait for Dynamic Infestation before you start judging environments.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Devs stated that the alien area are not meant to dark. That's why.
  • ubikjamubikjam Join Date: 2011-10-04 Member: 125618Members
    There was alot of discussion about this when the power node system was rejigged. From an art and gameplay perspective the devs don't want the alien areas to be overly dark and dingey, so thats why the power nodes work this way. By release the idea is that better transparancy, bioluminescence and dynamic infestation will give alien areas an aquatic glow, so they might considder changing it back again later.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited February 2012
    months ago I was saying rooms covered by infestation must be better defined, not with pitch darkness but with more darken then they are now. Cory responds to this was " this wasn't like this in NS1"

NS1 didn't have infestation or power nodes, and if they seriously want infestation to be part of the aliens which gives them advantage, rooms must be better defined. The thread starter has point, it means its broken by design.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2012
    Infestation already gives quite a few advantages... Healing, silent movement, detection, no marine construction and no mines.

Besides completely dark rooms which stay completely dark during the course of a round is bad, as people tend to dislike playing in such environments, They are quite tasking/tiring areas to deal with as a marine. The idea is to lay the emphasis mostly on player vs players with some small advantages to the home team.
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think if a hive is complete the room should slowly infest. Which should disable the normal lights and should activate "alien lights". The hive emiting light, the chambers, etc.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Agree with Nakorson.

The hive right now only gives out a small amount of infestation. I don't think gorges should be expected to spend their own res to create a decent amount of infestation in a room where a hive has been built.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Placeholder infestation FX!
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    aside from infestation, aka placeholder. thread starter has a point.

without power nodes, why rooms have power aka lightning? And in alien hive, well defined alien environment has no power node, why is their lightning in the room?

not saying pitch darkness but it shouldn't have so much lightning to the point its easy aiming for marines on ALIEN environment.
    Just like in marine environment their is lightning which helps marines to see aliens.
    Aliens depend on shadows, and ambush while alien hives have none of it or the rooms they control.
  • thefonzthefonz Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105847Members
    *cough* let aliens infest power nodes *cough* ( my old idea )

while that idea may have to much symmerty for NS2, it would at least allow aliens to darken the rooms they own w/o requiring a rine to come in and build a power node so the aliens can destroy it.

I'm still a gonna push my 3 state room idea because the current system is just bad.... i know its not final, but its just bad.

let rooms with power nodes be bright (the marine controlled state) (brighest rooms)

Let unsocketed or destroyed node rooms be "averagely bright" (neutral state, nobody has control) (say 1/2 down the brightness scale)

Let infested power node rooms be the darkest but + alien infest and structure glow, and some 'emergency' lighting (alien controlled) ( the darkest rooms, bottom of the brightness scale )

The alien rooms dont need to be pitch black mind you. they just need to be the darkest state possible.

if you want to visualize it...

Power noded rooms are well lit. very few, if any shadowy places.

unsocketed or destroyed node rooms are decently lit. i.e the main path through rooms should be nice and clear, but the nooks and crannies should have darker, shadowy, areas, something that could hide a skulk if the marines arn't looking too hard.

Infested rooms should be generally darker, plus the alien glow. The main paths are lit poorly (think streetlights at night on an empty road, maybe a bit less light) The nooks and crannies should easily hide a skulk in the shadows. But of course, a flashlight would reveal the skulk.

The current way that the starting hive and early alien controlled rooms are so bright is a bad joke to the alien team. we want the shadows to help us defend our territory. making our main base stay brightly lit the entire game ( unless somehow you let the rines build the node and then destroy it) is a slap in the face to that philosophy.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1908350:date=Feb 29 2012, 01:42 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Feb 29 2012, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm still a gonna push my 3 state room idea.

let rooms with power nodes be bright (the marine controlled state) (brighest rooms)

Let unsocketed or destroyed node rooms be "averagely bright" (neutral state, nobody has control) (say 1/2 down the brightness scale)

Let infested power node rooms be the darkest but + alien infest and structure glow, and some 'emergency' lighting (alien controlled) ( the darkest rooms, bottom of the brightness scale )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

I previously had similar idea.
    although i through in color tinges to the lighting as well.
    marines = bright + slight blue tint
    aliens = darker + slight green tint
  • John BlackthorneJohn Blackthorne Join Date: 2012-02-23 Member: 147245Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908350:date=Feb 29 2012, 01:42 PM:name=thefonz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thefonz @ Feb 29 2012, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*cough* let aliens infest power nodes *cough* ( my old idea )

while that idea may have to much symmerty for NS2, it would at least allow aliens to darken the rooms they own w/o requiring a rine to come in and build a power node so the aliens can destroy it.

I'm still a gonna push my 3 state room idea because the current system is just bad.... i know its not final, but its just bad.

Let infested power node rooms be the darkest but + alien infest and structure glow, and some 'emergency' lighting (alien controlled) ( the darkest rooms, bottom of the brightness scale )

The alien rooms dont need to be pitch black mind you. they just need to be the darkest state possible.

if you want to visualize it...

Power noded rooms are well lit. very few, if any shadowy places.

unsocketed or destroyed node rooms are decently lit. i.e the main path through rooms should be nice and clear, but the nooks and crannies should have darker, shadowy, areas, something that could hide a skulk if the marines arn't looking too hard.

Infested rooms should be generally darker, plus the alien glow. The main paths are lit poorly (think streetlights at night on an empty road, maybe a bit less light) The nooks and crannies should easily hide a skulk in the shadows. But of course, a flashlight would reveal the skulk.

The current way that the starting hive and early alien controlled rooms are so bright is a bad joke to the alien team. we want the shadows to help us defend our territory. making our main base stay brightly lit the entire game ( unless somehow you let the rines build the node and then destroy it) is a slap in the face to that philosophy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Very good idea thefonz, I concur the current system is not appealing at all and yes I realize its a beta so lets keep the player feed back coming so UWE can make the best game possible.

Alas Dynamic Infestation and many other things aren't in the game yet so we'll have to wait and see what the devs have in store.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Once DI and transparency is properly implemented, I envision there would be some cool lighting for rooms with DI covering top to bottom.

Imagine what Summit Atrium would look like with DI on the windows, reducing the "natural" lighting to half, and having DI cover the lights inside the room which creates a softer, more luminescent glow.