Hive Creep Spreading Through Walls

JitterzJitterz Join Date: 2011-12-22 Member: 138845Members
Hi Guys,

Sorry if this was asked before but I keep getting an error when searching the forums.

Is there no way to stop the creep from the hive spreading through walls to rooms/hallways that are a little to close?

Besides the obvious answer of course.

Thanks

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nope, and I'm sorry for the obvious answer :P

You have to keep in mind that the infestation is still a place holder, currently causing issues like this. The only thing you can do now is try and design the map around it...
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yes, you make sure there is a gap between walls, and maybe adjust the pathing_settings so the path doesn't cross large gaps.

My map has very close walls, yet doesn't suffer this problem because I made sure to make a gap between walls, floors and ceilings.
  • JitterzJitterz Join Date: 2011-12-22 Member: 138845Members
    Well it isn't a shared wall, there is a considerable gap. I thought it was enough originally. I will try the pathing_settings to see if that helps.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Do you use props as walls or extruded faces (going up prefferably)
    I have found they they go through props, but not through extruded walls. :)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    The infestation works on a planar radius.

If you have a wall that is not solid, ie multiple panels, and there is a gap around the height of the infestation, it will leak through, even if hive wall is solid. Fortunately, this is very easy to solve.

Occlusion geometry is required to be fitted very tightly around your map. The double side face of the occlusion geometry also stops the infestation spreading between rooms, or at least it did in the rooms I had trouble with :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2012
    Chances are though if you have trouble of infestation going through walls like this and spawning eggs outside the hive room, the hive is quite easy to siege as well. So even if UWE fixes this issue with the current infestation model in future builds (near final infestation implementation), I still see a potential gameplay issue :)
  • zombiehellmonkeyzombiehellmonkey Join Date: 2007-08-31 Member: 62093Members, Squad Five Blue
    I honestly don't have this problem, and some of my walls are really thin. I think OP may have missed something, but we won't know until he posts pictures of his geometry.