punish Ragequiter

RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
Ragequiter suck balls, so lets punish them.
If a player leave a game or the team and move to ready room.
His steam id is blocked 30 minutes to join the server.

Because of the very hard punishment, the other way is that the rage quiter can only move into [join random team] for the next 30 rounds.
any better ideas?¿

Comments

• ArkantiArkanti pub baddie Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111781Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1906593:date=Feb 25 2012, 02:30 AM:name=RTV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RTV @ Feb 25 2012, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906593"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ragequiter suck balls, so lets punish them.
    If a player leave a game or the team and move to ready room.
    His steam id is blocked 30 minutes to join the server.

Because of the very hard punishment, the other way is that the rage quiter can only move into [join random team] for the next 30 rounds.
    any better ideas?¿<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, people have lives outside the game and they shouldn't be punished so harshly for that. Pub games shouldn't be treated so seriously, and any actual competitive rage quitting can be dealt with internally by the teams. Perhaps if some kind of player stat tracking is implemented then any game they leave early could show up as a loss on their account.

I really dislike your proposed system when it's implemented into games like LoL and even then it's only somewhat reasonable because the game was free.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's a bit extreme, I'd be pissed if I was banned for 30 minutes due to a game crash or something.

Another problem with this is you wouldn't be able to end the game with your team going to the ready room, and it would punish anyone doing so. Which could be your intention, as some people wish to draw out losing battles forever.

A good number of players generally jump into a public match and play for a good 20 minutes and then leave as they have things to do, punishing the drop in and drop out players is a good way to hurt the amount of active players in a community. Any punishment for rage-quitting should be up to the admin of an individual server to decide.

That being said, a title award system would work well in discouraging these kinds of activities. A title of some award you got in the previous game being next to your playername in the next game you play. Like if marine welded 3 minutes worth of structures he'd have a title like "Mechanic", someone won the last game while being in the command chair(at least 5 minutes) and wins. "Certified Comm." And if someone leaves the game and server and doesn't rejoin in time, the next game he joins he will be labeled as an "Early leave". Which should be enough punishment.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    if you punish people for ragequitting, they will go afk instead.
  • CannonFodder100CannonFodder100 Join Date: 2011-09-14 Member: 121355Members
    edited February 2012
    As Laosh said. It's not constructive to put these sorts of constraints on players; if an individual server began punishing it, a determined few would populate it exclusively and the rest of the NS2 population would abandon it. If the game as a whole did this, the same thing would happen on a larger scale.
  • DeityDeity Join Date: 2012-01-31 Member: 142843Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    Is rage quitting even really a problem? I've been pubbing a lot recently and haven't noticed that it has changed the outcome of any game I've played recently.
  • fenrir1179fenrir1179 Join Date: 2011-11-05 Member: 131263Members
    an actual rage quit is lame, but just last night i was in a game where our team had so much crap down + a drifter rush :) all but like 2 or 3 people from the alien team didnt crash.
    afk is a bigger problem..
    afk in ready room for more than 3 minutes auto joins random afk ingame for 5 auto kicks .. or something .. i don't know
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The thing is there is no viable way to test for rage quitting :)
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    There really isn't a way to actually tell if someone rage quits or just has to leave or go afk. I've left games plenty of times and I never considered myself to be a rage quitter because I had to leave or got bored with the game.

I'd rather have someone go into the ready-room rather then go afk in the middle of the game, sure. The same goes for leaving the game. Better that than sit around and do nothing for your team and take up a spot on the server. If your going to screw around and be of no help to your team just leave.

All-in-all it's almost impossible to classify someone as a rage quitter unless they specifically say they are rage quitting. There should be no punishment for leaving a game or going afk in the ready room for a short period of time. I think there should be an afk timer on servers though - if someone is going to go afk longer then say 10mins they should be booted from the server to open up a slot.
  • zastelszastels Join Date: 2003-11-29 Member: 23731Members
    No, these ideas are harmful.

NS2 is a game, and you should never be punished for walking away from a game regardless of you being angry.

Not sure why somebody would even think this is necessary anyways. Counter-Strike and NS1 both did fine without it.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, these ideas are harmful.

NS2 is a game, and you should never be punished for walking away from a game regardless of you being angry.

Not sure why somebody would even think this is necessary anyways. Counter-Strike and NS1 both did fine without it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    I'd love to know where you are playing that you find rage quitting to be a problem, it seems so non existent to even think about it (in Aus).
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd love to know where you are playing that you find rage quitting to be a problem, it seems so non existent to even think about it (in Aus).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    (after finishing this post i just realised you were asking for servers where this is a problem, not for other games...)
    it can be quite annoying in games where people have a specific role in their team and/or it is impossible for other people to join and replace them. examples are the moba-type games such as dota, lol, hon, rise of immortals, dota2. you gain money, items and levelups in every match, every character is unique. replacing them on-the-fly would cause severe problems.
    i played 4 of those games and i can tell you it is ridicolously frustrating. it's like playing in a band contest and you did your really best when suddenly your lead guitar is leaving the contest because he had to sneeze once...
    or you spend 40 minutes preparing a meal for several restourant-testers who challenged you to "give it your best shot", when you realise they already chickened out and left. feels like wasted time.
    lol actually introduced a player-based "tribunal" which allows experienced players to vote for punish or pardon concerning players who have been reported several times. considering they put up quite some effort to prevent abuse it is actually a nice system and helped to reduce the number of leavers and flamers.

however, <b>ns2 does not have these kinds of problems!</b> any player and even the commanders can be replaced while the game is still running. you might lose some pres and new players might not instantly know the location of buildings etc., but thats a minor loss compared to the fresh motivation the player will bring.
    we can talk about this again when people actually achieve something for a win. right now, it seems rather pointless to me.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1906655:date=Feb 25 2012, 10:18 AM:name=CannonFodder100)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CannonFodder100 @ Feb 25 2012, 10:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1906655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As Laosh said. It's not constructive to put these sorts of constraints on players; if an individual server began punishing it, a determined few would populate it exclusively and the rest of the NS2 population would abandon it. If the game as a whole did this, the same thing would happen on a larger scale.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

LOL that makes me think of this dod source server, the admins we're complete c**nts, they would ban you for doing sh*t like not changing your position after getting 2 kills, or even just asking for a explanation on things and even using your mic at all. (alltalk was on)

One time this admin was telling someone on my team "change class or your banned mate"
    I was curious so i asked "what did he do?"
    Admin says "right cl_andrew your banned aswell now f**koff"
    10 seconds later i was kicked.

Ironically this server is still very populated and full all hours of the day. Based in aus too

Anyway thats just a story id thought id tell cause its so hilarious, not saying youre on or anything. Just dont be so sure of it.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    You cant force people to play a boring match.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1907122:date=Feb 26 2012, 11:37 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Feb 26 2012, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL that makes me think of this dod source server, the admins we're complete c**nts, they would ban you for doing sh*t like not changing your position after getting 2 kills, or even just asking for a explanation on things and even using your mic at all. (alltalk was on)

One time this admin was telling someone on my team "change class or your banned mate"

Ironically this server is still very populated and full all hours of the day. Based in aus too

Anyway thats just a story id thought id tell cause its so hilarious, not saying youre on or anything. Just dont be so sure of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Whats the name of this server? so i dont lose my time there
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited February 2012
    when youre in it youl know. Its a australia server tho. The name WAD clan server sounds very familer, but im sure any aussie who played dod source will know exactly what im talking about.

I wasnt pissed off or anything i just couldent stop smiling for a couple hours.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1907122:date=Feb 26 2012, 06:37 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Feb 26 2012, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One time this admin was telling someone on my team "change class or your banned mate"

Anyway thats just a story id thought id tell cause its so hilarious, not saying youre on or anything. Just dont be so sure of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I find it satisfyingly ironic that he is gleefully enforcing arbitrary, unwritten rules to the hilt in a game about nazis. Alles in ordnung.
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    edited February 2012
    This is not your DotA clone.

A good punishment would be evening the teams so someone good gets to play for them instead.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1907288:date=Feb 26 2012, 11:48 PM:name=eisiger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eisiger @ Feb 26 2012, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1907288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is not your DotA clone.

A good punishment would be evening the teams so someone good gets to play for them instead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    !scramble
    !nextmap
    !votemap
    !timeleft
    !cookies

Is all I require :P
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    i hate the team evener plugins. everyone does.
    as you push for the victory over the enemy team, a stray something hits you and bam your on the losing team.
    way to cleaer a server, mates.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    "Why does our team have only half the players? F...ing rage quitters! We have to punish them!"
    I don't like it, when you stop using your brain at this point.
    Why does someone rage quit? (And to be precisely, they don't have to rage.)
    Mostly they get bored or think the game is lost anyway. So why would you try to force someone to spend his free time playing a boring match? Do you really think, that a game could force me to waste my free time on it, if I have no fun doing so?

If you would use your brain, you would see, that this game is still in beta. And YOU have the power to change it to be always fun for the players.
    But that would require to be constructive and bring some ideas up. It was always easier to cry for punishment then solving to real problem.

Try to find out when the game does become no fun for the players and bring ideas up to change this.
    I go to the ready room, if the marines got 4 hive positions but don't attack the last hive to end it easily.
    I go to the ready room, if I died 10 times as a skulk by a one-shot shotgun hit, even if I ambushed them. (ambush does nothing when you need 3 bites versus one hit by the shotgun)
    I go to the ready room, if I just bought a fade from my 50 pres and got shot only 10sec later because I was stupid or had bad luck with a shotgun marine.

Just some examples to think about.
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    terrible idea. how can you tell that one is ragequiting? It may be an emergency or another reason to leave the game right at that time.
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The amount of times i've seen similar posts like this pop up in the Left 4 Dead forums. You sure you're in the right place?!
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    edited February 2012
    In September I suggested a process for recording rage quitting. Nobody really understood what I was saying, but hated any possibility of stat tracking in this regard for non-applicable reasons.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=114329&st=20" target="_blank">Check it out if you're interested.</a>
    well if people want a quitter-free game they can play gathers or clanwars.

as for pub, the only thing i can imagine is to award stayers (people who stay a lot more often than the average, like 98% or 99% of all games) instead of punishing leavers. this also bears the risk of elitism though.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Thats wrong, i think if the game is (someday) balanced nobody will rage-quits.
    Most of the time, people go in ready room and spectate.
    <u><b>What i would like is to LOCK join marine/alien/spectator and only allow people to go into random team</b></u>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What i would like is to LOCK join marine/alien/spectator and only allow people to go into random team<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    not sure what you mean by this. people can only pick a specific side at the beginning, not later on? i think people would just wait until the player number is uneven (e.g. 5 vs 4) as this will allow them to join their prefered team (the one with 4).
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1908271:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:05 AM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Feb 29 2012, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well if people want a quitter-free game they can play gathers or clanwars.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you're against server admins from choosing how to run their servers and also believe that anyone who wants this feature, should be grouped together and forced to play in gathers or clanwars.

Scary!

<!--quoteo(post=1908414:date=Feb 29 2012, 04:17 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Feb 29 2012, 04:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not sure what you mean by this. people can only pick a specific side at the beginning, not later on? i think people would just wait until the player number is uneven (e.g. 5 vs 4) as this will allow them to join their prefered team (the one with 4).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Imagine if on any map you were playing, the only ready room portal was the Random one. Everyone would be forced to use that. (With j1 and j2 disabled of course)
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    <!--quoteo(post=1908418:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:33 PM:name=Kalabalana)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kalabalana @ Feb 29 2012, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908418"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imagine if on any map you were playing, the only ready room portal was the Random one. Everyone would be forced to use that. (With j1 and j2 disabled of course)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If one team has one player less, you will automatically join that team. He means that you can wait until the player balance is at the right moment to join your desired team. Of course you could just fix that by forcing them into a random team right from the map start when everyone else is spawning in RR.

Still, I think it's unnecessary. I understand quitters suck in Dota , because no one could rejoin and take the place of the Quitter (talking about the original Warcraft mod here). Quitters in NS just get replaced by someone else (with 25 res).
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1908414:date=Feb 29 2012, 10:17 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Feb 29 2012, 10:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not sure what you mean by this. people can only pick a specific side at the beginning, not later on? i think people would just wait until the player number is uneven (e.g. 5 vs 4) as this will allow them to join their prefered team (the one with 4).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There some problems with people in the ready room.
    Some situations like:
    One team wins like 3 times, nobody want to join the other team, so EVERYBODY in the ready room stay and wait to get a free slot in last winning team.
    I don't understand why they are so scary about joining a team which can lose, i mean nobody wag a finger if you lose...
    So maybe there should be a kick if you afk to create a new slot for a player who wants to play.
    Also i see a lot people who wait for free teamslots join spectator, there where often more then 3 spectators watching a game like 4 vs 6...no admin here, so 3 people left and its 1 vs 6.
    the game ends and nobody want go the other team = server empty.