It's crossed the threshold for me.
moultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Posts: 3,926Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, Pistachionauts Auto Verified
I can now recommend it to all my friendsSince 195 I've been playing every evening, and loved almost every game. Still lots of things to fix/tune, but it's crossed the threshold for me. I'm now playing it because I love it, not because I want to check it out or because I want to help the team.
Here are some of the things I love:
- I played a game last night where we used arcs, and it felt awesome. It didn't have the stealth excitement of seige cannons in ns1, but the battles were much more dynamic because we could move from room to room. The aliens had saturated several tech points with whips and hydras. The arc was an integral part of how we were able to push out. Stopped outside the room, deployed the arc, mined it up, and let them come to us. Push forward to the next point, repeat.
- Server fps seems much better. Some servers still bog down but there are plenty of servers out there now that run smooth as butter. Agility is possible now.
- Commanding is so much less intimidating than in NS1. I feel comfortable hopping in the chair, and didn't even feel overwhelmed my first time.
- I love the infestation mechanic, both as a gorge placing it, and as a marine trying to cut it off. The immediate feedback of the glowing cysts is great.
- The fade blink is such an incredible effect. I feel more like nightcrawler using it than I've felt actually playing as nightcrawler in other games.
- Axing onoses. Nuff said. If your team doesn't have any advanced weaponry, everyone surrounding a lone onos with axes may actually be the best strategy.
- Foggy lights, oh man. I've never seen an effect like that in a game before, and it looks so beautiful.
- Lerk cropdusting. Finally, playing lerk is really about flying well at high speed.
- Wall-walking is smooth as butter. I take it for granted that any thing I want to climb I can do so trivially.
Most of all, I had forgotten what it felt like to really play like a team in a "team" game. For whatever reason, NS is more successful at that than any other game I've played, and it feels so good to come back to.
Just wanted to spread some <3, because for all of the things that still need to be fixed, this game is getting pretty damn incredible.