Tera Online Beta appliecations are open!

Comments

• GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    I swear... today's out to make me angry. THESE forums seem to keep forgetting I'm logged in constantly, sometimes immediately after I log in, while over in Tera when I'm trying to login it just pops up an error about not being able to generate a device signature.

~throws hands up in the air in frustration~

GAHHHH!!!!
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    I have a spare code vov
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1898947:date=Feb 2 2012, 10:01 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Feb 2 2012, 10:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1898947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I swear... today's out to make me angry. THESE forums seem to keep forgetting I'm logged in constantly, sometimes immediately after I log in,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=113136" target="_blank">not logging in properly</a>
    Also fixed my mysterious tera problem too by resetting my hosts file. I guess one of the many, many, many adresses I'd redirected in there was fluffing it up somehow :3
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    And of course the entire login server completely crashes under the load because game companies still are so stupid that they don't know this happens to every game, every single time.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    You don't think maybe the point is to see what kind of hardware stress X amount of users causes and such?
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    I don't believe so. For all intensive purposes they wanted people to play it today. They handed out boat loads of sneak peek keys *and* they made it so that everyone who pre-ordered could play in it as well (the sneak peek keys and pre-order keys were seperate until then)

That tells me that they had enough confidence in their servers that people could play.

But of course the servers utterly crumbled like every single mmo launch in history. It's hilarious to think that none of them have ever learned from past launches and just gotten 3x as much capacity than they thought they needed.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Handing out a lot of keys sounds like a stress test to me?

Oh and servers did not crumble in TOR :p
    There have actually been several smooth launches over the past few years, which demonstrates that some have indeed learned their lesson. This, of course, isn't even a launch, it's just a beta test. These things happen.
    Entire event cancelled, back to your homes people!
    Oh dear. Maybe they'll try again?
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    <!--quoteo(post=1899633:date=Feb 4 2012, 10:37 AM:name=Monkfish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkfish @ Feb 4 2012, 10:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For all intensive purposes they wanted people to play it today.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For all intents and purposes.

<i>The More You Know -*</i>
    Servers were up last night :D

I would've posted but I was too busy trying to cram some time in on every class to help my wild indecision resolve somewhat. I'm sadly no closer to picking on a class to main though XD
    I sat from 1pm to 2:30am...help.

Damn the quest design is so Korean it hurts.

"Go kill 10 of these, then go kill 10 of the exact same enemy but for a different item. Then go kill 10 of the same enemy just with a different name and stood 5 metres further away than the other guys"

Every single quest was like that for 22 levels.

If that combat wasn't so fun it'd be depressing.
    That still sounds depressing. Far less interested now.
    I agree with Sonic's assessment except I wouldn't really classify the quests as korean as WoW, Rifts and their kin have plenty of that type too.
    The game's fun thanks to the combat and other stuff, but in many ways the improvements it makes to the genre serve to make the things they don't innovate on slightly more painful by their presence :p

that said, I did completely skip almost all and any text the game threw at me :3
    Just thought I'd mention that the EU Tera servers are up and will remain up until Monday, so if you pre-ordered, got a sneak peek key or one of those limited key things then you can jump on and play to your heart's content :3
    edited February 2012
    Got a limited key thing. Doesn't work at all.

My interest in this game has nearly reached rock bottom. But I'll probably still check it out when it goes F2P.
    I have a spare sneak peek key if you want it.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd take one if anyone has one. Was super interested in this. Though I'd rather just be in the beta in general, with me quitting TOR.
    I'd happily give some keys if I had any but sadly I only managed to get my own one :/

Anyhoo... Total Biscuit is giving Tera a good look over in a series of vids! THE ANGRY BEAVER DOGS RETURN!!! :D

<div align='center'><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVQW1HAKNI0"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QVQW1HAKNI0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVQW1HAKNI0" target="_blank">Popori Emotes</a>

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLIET2Gs8t8#!"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uLIET2Gs8t8#!" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLIET2Gs8t8#" target="_blank">Popori Slayer</a>!
    </div>

More to come apparently :3
    The panda race feels weirdly misplaced in the game. And the lolicon race just gives me the creeps. I get the weird feeling I'm looking at people's jackoff material every time I run across one. Which wouldn't bother me so much if their jackoff material wasn't children.
    To be honest, I've always found the flak the Elin get rather odd.
    Most modern MMOs with any real race diversity feature a 'cute' race such as the gnomes in WoW, female dwarves in Lineage II or just the entire cast of many korean MMOs, yet for some reason it's only really the Elin I've seen get such constant mention.

To me, they're about as child-like as gnomes in WoW really... the proportions compared to a young human are all wrong (unless you know some strange kids with wide hips and thick thighs long, looong before the hormones kick in to do that and ginormous heads. Seriously, their heads are so large that it brings Elin full body height to equal that of a Castanic :p ).
    Long story short is that they're designed to be 'cute' and despite the finger-pointing the armour they wear is pretty much the same armour you'll find on any of the other females from the other races (we could discuss how female armour in general is overly sexualised and I'd agree with you on that :3 ). Is it the whole 'loli' thing because the morphology isn't as distorted as a gnome or is it because they're not passed off as 'comical' but rather straight up 'cute'? It's not like their animations are sexualised either, you can go through the whole emote list as well as watching the idle anims and the general image they give off is playful, petulant or innocent. Child-like if you like. I could argue about the actual age of the race and all that fluff, but ultimately I don't think that being thousands of years old matters, as I suspect most of the name-callers aren't interested in the fiction and will just consider it hand-waving. (on an interesting and unrelated note, however, the Elin are incarnations of the goddess of nature and they in turn created the Popori to help them out. I don't know why but I kinda like their history :3 )

As for popori and Elin fitting in the world. Think about it... bright grassy fields with colourful butterflies, shining white cities with dazzling fireworks displays and a generally fairy-tale atmosphere. Which fits in that world best? The dark emo Castanic in their bondage gear or the joyful, playful Elin and Popori? :p

For me, I see diversity and I welcome it. I appreciate I might be a bit more open-minded than some though :p

Rant aside, I'm dying to get another shot on Tera again. I'm not sure what class I'm going to try this time around but my mis-adventures on my level 11 Mystic were moderatly amusing. I want to be more involved in the fights, which the summons take away from a little bit, so I might try priest, warrior or lancer next. That said, Slayer is always tempting :p
    Priest is a bit odd for a healer class, at least at the early levels. You start out with strong(ish) self-healing, and you don't get the ability to heal others at all until later on. Even then, what you get is the ability to throw down a circle that heals people IF they remain standing in it, but it's a weaker heal with a much longer cooldown than your self-heal, meaning that you're still better at healing yourself than you are at healing others. It's all a bit odd.
    edited February 2012
    ~nod~

In many ways the mystic is the early healer who excels more in helping others, but remains quite fragile but agile themselves.
    Priests start off a bit more selfish and eventually catch up but have better survivability without dodging and less mobility.
    It's quite common to see people argue over which is the best healer and the fact there's no real consensus so far is always a good sign :3

Thing is, I can understand why early healing isn't great for groups early on as most people don't need it at the start. Monsters don't hit hard enough to really merit it. You tend to notice the need for it more as you get past the teens though :3

I'm iffy about lancer because I traditionally avoid heavy armour but the blocking mechanics are surprisingly fun and cathartic, not to mention the lancer gets a chain that lets you live out your Mortal Kombat Scorpion urges... "GERROVER HERE!!!" :p

<b>edit</b> tera-europe is doing a 2 hour test tomorrow, if you want to play you better start patching now as it's a fairly chunky patch :p
    Not sure if US is doing the same but it wouldn't surprise me :3
    edited February 2012
    Don't think I can be bothered with a two-hour test really.

Dunno how I feel about the game overall. The combat is refreshing compared to standard MMORPG fare, but otherwise the game is bland and cookie-cutter. I wouldn't mind seeing some of these things in Guild Wars 2 though...
    From what little I played, GW2 felt more 'hotbar' combat-based, though it's still better than the usual as you can dodge ranged attacks. It didn't quite feel as flowing/natural as tera does to me though. I'm still looking forward to GW2 nonetheless though and I'll be jumping on it as soon as I can, but until then Tera's my main focus :3

I'm happy enough to give it a 2 hour shot, if only to give me more time to be wildly indecisive about which class I'm playing :p

On an interesting note, I was checking Tera's twitter and apparently it's been noted that people are finding the starting area too easy in beta. No idea if they're going to increase the challenge a little but they mentioned it was under discussion :D

As for being bland/cookie-cutter, I dunno. The combat is the main thing for me. I agree that quest are not only fairly standard fare, but almost dated now in these days of cutscene or voiced stuff like SWTOR or the upcoming GW2 and if I was going to name one thing as my downer for the game so far it'd be that. I can't comment on crafting as I've not dabbled in it yet and outside of that there's not much to talk about in any MMO really :p
    Truthfully though, I'm not sure how much a lot of the fluff matters to me, ultimately. As long as I can grab some folk, go down a dungeon and take out an epic boss without having to make a raid out of it then I think I can get a lot of mileage out of a game... just look how long I played PSO for!!! ;D

I'm looking forward to retail due to battlegrounds being available and I've already enjoyed some fun duels :3
    I'm also vaguely curious what the new class they're going to add in the future is as nobody seems to have any really solid details on it.
    Whelp, it's been pretty quiet in here lately but Europe Closed Beta Test 2 starts in the next 10 minutes! Servers will be open until midnight CET on Sunday. I've been looking forward to this since having a blast in CBT1 so here's a fanmade feelgood video someone posted to celebrate :3

<div align='center'><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2-lwhiWw3c#!"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2-lwhiWw3c#!" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2-lwhiWw3c#" target="_blank">Tera Shuffle</a>!</div>
    Apparently "closed" does mean "closed." As in "not open to people who were in the beta before." How weird.