Natural Selection 2 News Update - Gorilla released (NS2 Build 194)

Comments

• SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems to run smoother now!

<b>First bug report:</b> Marines with jetpacks (except yourself) don't show up on minimap, which is really annoying. Not sure if this happens every time but they disappeared for me.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1899057:date=Feb 3 2012, 02:26 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 3 2012, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899057"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems to run smoother now!

<b>First bug report:</b> Marines with jetpacks (except yourself) don't show up on minimap, which is really annoying. Not sure if this happens every time but they disappeared for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Known issue/already reported
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    hi uwe now that you have announced the release date is my video relevant yet
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Nice work - this seems like a major milestone.
  • oldassgamersoldassgamers Join Date: 2011-02-02 Member: 80033Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Another bugg report : As commander you dont see the enemy structors in a area while your team mate is flying. As soon as he lands, the commander ses the sctructors of the alien, when flying everything disappears. :(
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    Thanks for the automatic script reloading. It makes it so much easyer to work on the mod Im making, an ai.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899060:date=Feb 2 2012, 10:32 PM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Feb 2 2012, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hi uwe now that you have announced the release date is my video relevant yet<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Everyone (including Flayra) called you out because that video was garbage and I haven't heard anything since.
    Please stop trying to become a B-list NS2 celebrity.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1899066:date=Feb 3 2012, 02:43 AM:name=oldassgamers)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldassgamers @ Feb 3 2012, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Another bugg report : As commander you dont see the enemy structors in a area while your team mate is flying. As soon as he lands, the commander ses the sctructors of the alien, when flying everything disappears. :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't see it on the list, going in my notepad file! Signing off now, can't be bothered to setup a bug report right now, need to catch me some ZZZZZZ's
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Guys, that trailer was ###### brilliant - awesome work.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added Server.GetName() function to return the name of the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've waiting for that one for about half a year, any chance we'll be seeing other general information accessible also? I'm thinking Server.GetPassword(), Server.GetMaxSlots(), Server.GetIP(), Server.GetPort(), Server.IsLan(), Server.GameName() et cetera.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited February 2012
    Sorry I have to say that every time I try a new build:
    Still getting 40 FPS in ready room and 10-25 FPS in battle situations on an average machine, lowest settings (Phenom XII 2,8, 4gbRAM, ATI5650).

But I played a game through as a marine and I only need to say one sentence:

-----------------------------
    Natural Selection is back.

(please let me play it fluidly, I don't have money for a new machine the next 2 years ;) )
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Summer 2012... Nice!!!
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    edited February 2012
    Getting frequent 10+ second freezes where the screen goes black. Happens every time I spawn and randomly during play. In the console it seems to be associated with the line "cant open ui\info.dds". I have verified that the file is in fact missing in my installation. Will try a reinstall and see if it fixes.

EDIT:
    Reinstall seemed to fix it. Still get that error in console however. info.dds still missing
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Onos is kinda a disappointment; can barely 1v1 a marine

I can't seem to catch up to anything, let alone deal enough damage to kill 2 marines before dying... am I doing something wrong?

:'(
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1899077:date=Feb 3 2012, 01:54 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Feb 3 2012, 01:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry I have to say that every time I try a new build:
    Still getting 40 FPS in ready room and 10-25 FPS in battle situations on an average machine, lowest settings (Phenom XII 2,8, 4gbRAM, ATI5650).

But I played a game through as a marine and I only need to say one sentence:

Natural Selection is back.

(please let me play it fluidly, I don't have money for a new machine the next 2 years ;) )<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well most of the game features are in now they just need to add exo suit..

So the next 3-4 months will be nothing but optimisation and bug fixing so i'd imagine there will be some significant performance boosts in the near future!
    <!--quoteo(post=1899083:date=Feb 2 2012, 11:06 PM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Feb 2 2012, 11:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos is kinda a disappointment; can barely 1v1 a marine

I can't seem to catch up to anything, let alone deal enough damage to kill 2 marines before dying... am I doing something wrong?

:'(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you're probably not stunning them with stomp and then easily having your way with anyone who can't fly :)
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1899085:date=Feb 3 2012, 06:37 AM:name=internetexplorer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (internetexplorer @ Feb 3 2012, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you're probably not stunning them with stomp and then easily having your way with anyone who can't fly :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="https://twitter.com/#!/NS2/status/165247226971557889" target="_blank">Stomp does not affect marines anymore.</a>

Onos can't seem to do anything unless he has a gorge crawling on his ass, continually healing him, barely keeping him alive while he slowly lumbers towards a group of 3 marines then dies after hitting one once or twice.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    A Marine could probably predict your movement, as Onos currently gain speed when moving in a straight line. What if Stomp pulled Marines in toward the Onos somewhat? The nearer you are, the quicker you are pulled by Stomp. The farther you are, the less screen shaking and less pull Stomp has on you.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899083:date=Feb 3 2012, 04:06 AM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Feb 3 2012, 04:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos is kinda a disappointment; can barely 1v1 a marine

It is huge and easy to hit. Don't expect to be able to just run in there and destroy them. Stay with Crags, wait for situations where marines get in front of you and try hit and run. One Onos alone can't do anything offensive. It's not for killing, it's for locking down areas...at this stage. In the game I played today at least 5 Onoses died...in the winning team ^^ it looked like they just ran around to test things out.
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    Congratulations guys, massive milestone. Had a quick play this arvo (oz time) and it looks fantastic. So much good times ahead 8)
  • SpiderfaceSpiderface Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72964Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899048:date=Feb 2 2012, 09:13 PM:name=MurphyIdiot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurphyIdiot @ Feb 2 2012, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Definitely verify cache in Steam. If that doesn't make a difference, try reinstalling the game. We have people in the office now playing without these problems so there must be a local problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tried reinstalling just now, and still get the errors.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Everyone who acted in, filmed, and edited that trailer should be very proud. Huge effort! The number of shots, the subtle effects, far out. Cory, you are a weapon!

... And did oh wow I cannot wait to play 194.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    I like the removal of armoury for building health packs, should help early marines heaps, great move!
    <!--quoteo(post=1899089:date=Feb 2 2012, 11:13 PM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Feb 2 2012, 11:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="https://twitter.com/#!/NS2/status/165247226971557889" target="_blank">Stomp does not affect marines anymore.</a>

Onos can't seem to do anything unless he has a gorge crawling on his ass, continually healing him, barely keeping him alive while he slowly lumbers towards a group of 3 marines then dies after hitting one once or twice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahaha that's such a twisted joke.

sorry, what DOES stomp do then? god..
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    I'm sure this patch is awesomesauce but the Mineshaft map sure isn't. So many "Natural Causes" and so many places it turns into a slideshow. Normally, I run NS2 just fine, even in combat but this map (or patch?) broke it. That is, while playing Mineshaft, haven't tried any others yet.

Naturally, I haven't any good comments on the rest of the changes since it is hard to judge from such a bad performance.

Looking forward to trying another map =)
    Keeping the faith!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1899083:date=Feb 3 2012, 03:06 AM:name=Vladimir Van Vodka)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vladimir Van Vodka @ Feb 3 2012, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1899083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos is kinda a disappointment; can barely 1v1 a marine

This was kind of a problem with the NS1 onos, it really doesn't work against marines if they can move, you needed stomp, or to (of all things) ambush people in hallways with devour.

Trouble is, stomp was really lame as a marine, and devour was even worse, and I don't think either really fit the onos.

I'd much rather it gain some benefits to its tankyness than a couple of kinda lame abilities that don't really have much to do with being a giant huge space rhino/gorrila.

Charge as a passive ability maybe? Gain acceleration as you move and do damage/knockback when you run into marines/structures? Bone shield would be useful if it isn't in already, maybe the ability to do some sort of screen shake when you jump? But jumping can only be done every so often?

There's a lot of stuff you could add to the onos to make it good, rather than just relying on the NS1 abilities.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hell.... YES....

Just finished playing a game on each team, and this is really starting to feel like NS. It's mostly Movement chamber, Exo, optimization, and balance left to go, right? And more maps, I guess.

Love Mineshaft. Onos looks and feels like a BAMF. Jetpacks look cool, though my marine team didn't last long enough to get them.

I didn't have any problems as an Onos. They're not the tools of mass destruction anymore, but in numbers or as part of a team they kick PLENTY of ass. Gorge + Onos seemed to work really well. I would like to see some sort of speed boost ability, though.

Skulk... zomg skulk! The leap feels perfect, combined with wall hopping and midair leap now? It feels fun and deadly to play skulk again.

I'll be honest, I didn't even notice RFK was removed while playing! It didn't affect my gameplay negatively at all, and in my opinion, it's a good thing. It puts a hard cap on the constant streams of Onos/Fade that alien teams have been having, unless that player lives long enough to earn their res back. Maybe a version can be re-implemented later, but we'll see.

Great patch. Loved the trailer, too! I look forward to seeing the sites that link/post it!
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Haven't got a chance yet to try it out, but is there not a Bone-shield Onos ability? Is it just the new stomp and gore at the moment?
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    i love the new huge map!
  • BearTaxiBearTaxi Join Date: 2011-11-15 Member: 133064Members
    Please refer to - <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116139" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=116139</a> for my thoughts.