Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 191 released

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 191 released here

Comments

• acid_rainacid_rain NS2 NAPT Mascot Austin, TX Join Date: 2010-02-16 Member: 70588Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    "Less dubstepy nano shield damage sound."
    Nooooo... my dubstep ball!

Overall, I feel these changes were very necessary. Great release!
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited January 2012
    Mine is still crashing while trying to join a server or while creating a lan game.

Full Screen, Rid.Awful, High, Windowed 800x600 is also same :(

And can u make Physics GPU available. Both Game and Editor says Physics CPU on my screen.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115863" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=115863</a>

btw latest Physics and Nvidia drivers are loaded, but no change.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1894042:date=Jan 13 2012, 05:47 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Jan 13 2012, 05:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mine is still crashing while trying to join a server or while creating a lan game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same. 190 was fine for me, but 191 I can't get past the menu.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    I was really expecting that you would have ballanced the mines out with this build, i don't believe you didn't notice the extreme un-ballance they have created. You should make them cost more, sick of marines just spamming mines, much worse than sentry turrets in my opinion.
    Also could you please make them do alot less damage (they onehit fully upgraded fades in my experience, thats alot of damage.)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1894042:date=Jan 13 2012, 01:47 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Jan 13 2012, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Mine is still crashing while trying to join a server or while creating a lan game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1894043:date=Jan 13 2012, 01:58 AM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jan 13 2012, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same. 190 was fine for me, but 191 I can't get past the menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you both post up your NS2 Logs just after you crash? Every time you launch NS2 it over-writes your log so once you have crashed, go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHRE\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2 and upload your 'log.txt' file. Cant really work out what is going on if you just say 'I'm crashing', the log file will help narrow it down.

<!--quoteo(post=1894042:date=Jan 13 2012, 01:47 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Jan 13 2012, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894042"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And can u make Physics GPU available. Both Game and Editor says Physics CPU on my screen.
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=115863" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=115863</a>

btw latest Physics and Nvidia drivers are loaded, but no change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They are loaded on the CPU because not everyone has a Nvidia GPU. By using software mode it can work just as well on ATi/AMD PCs (plus the new Physx 3 has better CPU multi-threading).
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    Verify your cache and the game should run fine. Worked for me
  • TrickyDiscoTrickyDisco Join Date: 2011-12-27 Member: 139106Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    Client still crashes sometimes when placing cysts as alien commander.

reproducible in the connector from atrium -> reactor and in pipe junction.

I just looked through my log.txt and I can't find any logs around when I was commanding aliens. Not sure if it just wasn't generated.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    Good patch but i think the marines are now to strong since they can aim and rego shots much easier...
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added skill-based movement to Skulk: try jumping off walls and props for a small speed boost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to say, while this its not finalized, i dont see how this mechanic can work out nice ever(- yet.)

- most walls are not flat, you get blocked very often or the wall is too short to gain any speedboost effect.
    - most of the time there is no wall close to you in combat situations/engage situations. (jumping out of vents, coming from around corners whatever...)
    - marines are not hugging walls, so it usually costs extra time to move to the wall, jump jump and then jump from the wall and close the gap to the marine again. (chances are higher if you just hop around and use cover or whatever instead)
    - even if its only meant for moving faster from point a to b, the quickest ways are usually vents - were this doesnt work + point 1 again.

I dont think its really worth wasting time in this... its a gimmick at best, and nowhere near as useful as bhop was. (which works consistent and all the time, if you can do it right)

Still good patch and everything <3
  • fmponefmpone Join Date: 2011-07-05 Member: 108086Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1894075:date=Jan 13 2012, 05:09 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 13 2012, 05:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to say, while this its not finalized, i dont see how this mechanic can work out nice ever(- yet.)

- most walls are not flat, you get blocked very often or the wall is too short to gain any speedboost effect.
    - most of the time there is no wall close to you in combat situations/engage situations. (jumping out of vents.)
    - marines are not hugging walls, so it usually costs extra time to move to the wall, jump jump and then jump from the wall and close the gap to the marine again. (chances are higher if you just bhop around and use cover or whatever instead)
    - even if its only meant for moving faster from point a to b, the quickest ways are usually vents - were this doesnt work + point 1 again.

I dont think its really worth wasting time in this... its a gimmick at best, and nowhere near as useful as bhop was.

But what do i know... surprise me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. It feels strange to do it deliberately, and easy to do it unintentionally. In other words, I think it's not a great game element. There is something "there", but most of the time I just wish I had the ability to do quake style speed-hopping, given the walljump ability reminds me of it faintly, until I hit the ground and then realize... oh, it was just that new "feature".
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    I dont know how the state is.. but whats up with the minimap?

I think its pretty hard to tell where the bases of my team are and what structures are on my side.
    I guess it would be great if there was some play with colours. like my teams stuff is green and enemys stuff is red. Right now its all just grey and i cant tell what is what.. just when i look more closly.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Well, the new walljump boost does help in a way that it encourages people to use the walls and ceilings more often.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited January 2012
    I really dont see the use of wall jumping. Its already hard enough to wall climb in some rooms.
    Also wall jumping doesn't seem to help anyway as with the improved performance marines are even deadlier now and speed is not a skulks tactic of choice now until leap is researched. Wall jumping kind of becomes obsolete as the skulk is by default fast enough to get everywhere in short time and wall jumping doesn't feel like a good tradeoff as you get stuck or don't reach high enough speeds to make a difference. For offense wall jumping is useless (either by missing or available leap) , for getting somewhere obsolete or only to pass the time. Classic bhop for skulks(!) would work way better /imho

I really miss early leap now. Most of the map is lit up now and there is no way to get it dark in early game. Marines just pick you off from the distance within seconds or even if you are hiding. In my humble oppinion the map should be dark for the most part at the beginning to give skulks a bit of an advantage. Currently they seem fairly inferior to marines and with commander-1 + "weak" gorge the alien team cannot simply outnumber them.

*edit*
    by the way, performance increased on my Core2Duo E8400, Nvidia GTX460 quiet significantly with 190. Quiet playable now, keep it coming :)
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1894048:date=Jan 13 2012, 06:46 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jan 13 2012, 06:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you both post up your NS2 Logs just after you crash? Every time you launch NS2 it over-writes your log so once you have crashed, go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHRE\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2 and upload your 'log.txt' file. Cant really work out what is going on if you just say 'I'm crashing', the log file will help narrow it down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

CRASH REPORT
    LOG.TXT

Date: 01/13/12
    Time: 11:02:57
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 191
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8.17.12.8562)
    Connected to Steam servers
    Connecting to server 127.0.0.1:27015
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/jetpack/jetpack.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/jetpack/jetpack.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos_view.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos_view.model
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos.animation_graph
    Error: Couldn't open file 'models/marine/welder/welder.model
    Loading 'maps/ns2_rockdown.level'
    Client connecting (127.0.0.1)

btw my NS2 is installed at D:\GoldGames\Steam\.... directory

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are loaded on the CPU because not everyone has a Nvidia GPU. By using software mode it can work just as well on ATi/AMD PCs (plus the new Physx 3 has better CPU multi-threading).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is really annoying just check GPU , if Nvidia and supports it then turn on GPU else CPU . But this makes big difference if user has a single core cpu.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Wow that was a fast fix, i guess i can see the smoke comming outside the ears of you guys :P

After playing a round i can say:
    - loading screen is nice
    - game feels way more fluent
    - I LOVE the hit detection! i mean i aim at a skulk and shoot and WOW hit him ^^
    Good work, game feels good now.
    but the mines are big ^^
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1894075:date=Jan 13 2012, 11:09 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Jan 13 2012, 11:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to say, while this its not finalized, i dont see how this mechanic can work out nice ever(- yet.)

- most of the time there is no wall close to you in combat situations/engage situations. (jumping out of vents, coming from around corners whatever...)
    - marines are not hugging walls, so it usually costs extra time to move to the wall, jump jump and then jump from the wall and close the gap to the marine again. (chances are higher if you just hop around and use cover or whatever instead)

I dont think its really worth wasting time in this... its a gimmick at best, and nowhere near as useful as bhop was. (which works consistent and all the time, if you can do it right)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pretty much this.

It isn't actually "skill based", it doesn't balance melee vs. ranged (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=109730&view=findpost&p=1777641" target="_blank">see this post</a>) and it isn't even much fun to do.

Still, it is better than the old walljumping, so may as well keep it in and keep tweaking it -- but I doubt it can ever be made into a bunnyhop replacement.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just some issues off the top of my head.

Mines still give LOS, and marine buildings give LOS through thin geometry. This really shouldnt be happening. It should be clear to the alien player when they are and are not visible on marine minimaps which it isnt. Right now, its still working like map hacks almost.

Fade still has 80 armour at lvl 3. I hope its a bug and not a balance change. Not only does it make the crag/shell tree almost entirely pointless, but fades insta-dying to 2-3 mines closely placed ontop of each other is a bit offputting.

Riflebutt is still overpowered (coming from the perspective of a marine at that). The damage needs to be lowered imo especially given the performance/hitreg improvements.
  • CorpseyCorpsey Join Date: 2011-07-02 Member: 107538Members
    <a href="http://endgamestats.own.cz/" target="_blank">http://endgamestats.own.cz/</a>

Funny.. filter for only summit and then click 189 on, and then off and then 191 on. So I'm sure there will be something that starts balancing again.

Leap + bite was hard to pull off sometimes, leap seems to have some sort of cooldown even though you can't use it mid-air anyways (I think this is so people don't hold it while leaping into a wall and waste energy, but it hinders its use in combat). I was accidentally downloading something in the background though, so it might have just been my mistake.

Can someone work on a public game modifier where the last player to join up gets 1 level less armor than the rest of the players? I feel bad for teams that are already down a player - it makes a huge balance shift in favour of the team with the extra player. Encounters which would normally be 2v2 are 2v3 etc. Even if the last guy is doing 10 damage, he's contributing more than if he weren't there.

Also for whatever reason I can't start a LAN game on a computer that has been updating since 189, but one that has been updating since 185 or so is able to. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Haven't tried yet for 191 but it basically does not want to connect to steam servers.

Anyways yeah can't wait for the next builds to come..
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2012
    Interessting stats...

Especially if you only filter for ns2_turtle_b2(only looking at 190,191) which is afaik only played by "us" ensl.org gather ppl(arc duplex etc...) => its in an organized environment with proper teamplay and experienced comms. (usually :P)

So far the big public(ns2_summit) does seem to get in trouble on the alien side.

Wonder how it will change the more games we play in 190+ (since its not really comparable yet from the number of games played ofc)
    But it might also just be the map...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1894104:date=Jan 13 2012, 01:18 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jan 13 2012, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty much this.

It isn't actually "skill based", it doesn't balance melee vs. ranged (<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=109730&view=findpost&p=1777641" target="_blank">see this post</a>) and it isn't even much fun to do.

Still, it is better than the old walljumping, so may as well keep it in and keep tweaking it -- but I doubt it can ever be made into a bunnyhop replacement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I certainly won't say walljumping is fine as it is, but I wonder if people have really had the time to get used to it? Bunnyhopping wasn't learned in a day, sort of thing.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1894059:date=Jan 13 2012, 12:12 AM:name=TrickyDisco)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrickyDisco @ Jan 13 2012, 12:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Client still crashes sometimes when placing cysts as alien commander.

reproducible in the connector from atrium -> reactor and in pipe junction.

I just looked through my log.txt and I can't find any logs around when I was commanding aliens. Not sure if it just wasn't generated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you want to know why no one wants to play as alien com. Started happening in 190. Win 7 64-bit total system freeze when it happens may explain lack of error reporting.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Well, mods are working again that's good, but I don't seem to be able to get Decoda to break anymore anywhere in non-vanilla scripts (meaning NS2-scripts can still be debugged, but I'm guessing anything outside of that directory no longer).
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Marines still spawn with 3 instead of 2 mines.
    Servers are also more stable. Good hotfix!
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1894048:date=Jan 13 2012, 06:46 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jan 13 2012, 06:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you both post up your NS2 Logs just after you crash? Every time you launch NS2 it over-writes your log so once you have crashed, go to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHRE\AppData\Roaming\Natural Selection 2 and upload your 'log.txt' file. Cant really work out what is going on if you just say 'I'm crashing', the log file will help narrow it down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It seems like it was crashing because I was still running menumod from the launch options. Once I deleted "-game menumod" it stopped crashing.

Here's what the log looks like:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    Loading 'maps/ns2_summit.level'
    Error: PhysX: Gu::ConvexMesh::loadConvexHull: convex hull init failed!
    Error: PhysX: Error cooking body 0 of model models/props/summit/summit_welcomescreen_01.model
    Script Error: lua/ModLoaderLite.lua:51: attempt to call field 'GetOptionBoolean' (a nil value)
    AddModFromDir lua/ModLoaderLite.lua:51
    ScannForMods lua/ModLoaderLite.lua:33
    Init_EmbededMode lua/ModLoader.lua:55
    MenuMod_Client.lua:22
    Client class hierarchy for scriptactor does not match server class
    Client connected (127.0.0.1)
    Client Authed. Steam ID: 28147276<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • TinCanTinCan Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59010Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1894104:date=Jan 13 2012, 12:18 PM:name=fanatic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fanatic @ Jan 13 2012, 12:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still, it is better than the old walljumping... ...I doubt it can ever be made into a bunnyhop replacement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    not a bhop replacement? So, that is a good thing then.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    I'm happy without bunny hopping. I do want some sort of level one movement skill or ability which requires no research. I enjoyed the mini-leap until it was removed; I'm still unsure why. I'll have to play around with the wall hopping to see how well it works, but I have a feeling it isn't going to be to intuitive or easy to understand.
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Wall hopping is hard to use, because somehow the skulk does not stick well at walls at all. If you jump at a wall you often just fall to ground before you can wallwalk.
    Several routes are harder to keep on the roof than in build 189.
  • DghelneshiDghelneshi Aims to surpass Fana in post edits. Join Date: 2011-11-01 Member: 130634Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1894188:date=Jan 13 2012, 07:40 PM:name=Floodinator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Floodinator @ Jan 13 2012, 07:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894188"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wall hopping is hard to use, because somehow the skulk does not stick well at walls at all. If you jump at a wall you often just fall to ground before you can wallwalk.
    Several routes are harder to keep on the roof than in build 189.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm actually not being on the wall at all for the walljump. I just stay on the ground and press forward and strafe into the wall at the same time, then jump. This gives a great speed boost in forward direction and works fairly well, even if it's somewhat unreliable somtimes.
    You can also press forward and quickly strafe away from the wall, which can be used in narrow corridors to bounce back and forth a lot.
  • Dr_Cox1911Dr_Cox1911 Join Date: 2011-04-25 Member: 95575Members
    Keeps crashing for me. I can join a game but after a few minutes back to menu and all buttons are gone. Only taskmanager can bring me back to my desktop.

Nothing special in my log.txt (last thing is some chat, only errors on mapload).
  • NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1894199:date=Jan 13 2012, 01:17 PM:name=naevorc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (naevorc @ Jan 13 2012, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1894199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did anyone else notice this in the current design tasks for Gorilla?

<b>Max 100 personal res <u>(the rest is overflowed to rest of team)</u></b>

Is this fair? On one hand, it seems that a few good players could help carry a team, but at the same time, <b>is that rewarding or rather placating consequences</b> for players who die often because of poor map awareness, etc?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm i wonder if it will also be for the marine comm? he needs his personal res, and is usefull for him to be larger then 100. I think its a thing that needs to be tested and depends on the game.
This discussion has been closed.