NS2 Guide

Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
edited December 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">with community-driven content</div>edit:
the initial approach was abandoned since there is actually a wiki. you can find the guide by entering "Guide" on the wiki's search field, or by clicking this link:
<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Guide" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Guide</a>

NOTE: the guide is by all means not complete yet. i will keep a changelog here to sum up major changes.

<b>Changelog</b>
Betabuild 189
minor changes; also added content:
3.3 When should I use which weapon?
---
Betabuild 189
created the page. has the following content:
1 Introduction
2 The Map
3 Marines
3.1 General Advices
3.2 Alone or as a group?
4 Commander
4.1 A Useful Experience
4.2 Alien Commander
5 Common Terms And Abbrevations

Comments

• NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    Nixxen approves of this idea.
    Now to find someone who can manage to keep stuff up to date for each patch :S
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2011
    It's actually Beta build 189, not version 1.89 as that would imply final version with loads of patching going on. I'm actually toying with something video/comic style animation related, kinda like a NS2 in a nuntshell. But the timesink it will cause is scaring me. And the problem that NS2 is still under heavy development, gameplay has already changed a lot during the beta...

[edit]
    There was an attempt for <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=1&t=90474" target="_blank">NS trainingl map</a>... But Spark is lacking loads of script entities for the editor currently. Of course there is always lua for modding...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1889947:date=Dec 12 2011, 08:53 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 12 2011, 08:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1889947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But the timesink it will cause is scaring me. And the problem that NS2 is still under heavy development, gameplay has already changed a lot during the beta...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is probably the biggest issue. Even the maps have undergone serious level design and gameplay changes that have invalidated strategy and discussion from earlier builds.

Also, this is something that would probably be better located on the much neglected <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" target="_blank">NS2 wiki</a>.

PS: The links you posted seem to be broken.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    This kind of guide should go on the Wiki. This was discussed a while ago, but nobody has put in the time to writing one. One reason is things are changing so often now that it would instantly be out of date. But that's what the Wiki is for--to allow anyone to update pages.
  • ZeikkoZeikko Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63179Members, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester
    When i started playing ns2 i was also very disappointed by the fact that the wiki didn't offer even the basic information about the game, not to mention abotu basic strategies. It would be great to get the wiki to a better shape. Maybe some kind of incentives would be needed to get the party started. Or somebody willing to spend some time to organize stuff and get some idea how to develop it further and the neverybody can start writing.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    this is interesting. in fact, i wasnt even aware of the existance of a wiki! i guess i simply overlooked that (as you can guess by my low number of posts im quite new to the site)
    well, this is probably much better than a forum-based guide so this project is canceled. this makes me happy though, writing everything from scratch is much more work and i can avoid the hassle of keeping everything up to date. contributing to a wiki every now and then seems much more enjoyable. but i see your point, content can be outdated quickly.
    i'd really like to see a "last edit on NS build xy" on every page but i'm not in a position to ask that. are there any people in charge who put this together or who have the final word on an article (to avoid trolling etc.)?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1890285:date=Dec 14 2011, 12:27 PM:name=Laosh'Ra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Laosh'Ra @ Dec 14 2011, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890285"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is interesting. in fact, i wasnt even aware of the existance of a wiki! i guess i simply overlooked that (as you can guess by my low number of posts im quite new to the site)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are actually quite a few people (both new and old) who don't know about the wiki, so you aren't alone. Its in the same situation as the hidden <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=&act=Search&mode=adv&f=0" target="_blank">advanced search</a> feature of these forums.

I almost feel like what we need is another sticky that just includes links to these much neglected sections of the website/forum.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    oh great, I go and make a wiki, and it turns out there's already a wiki... eh, whatever, I'll continue on with working with my custom wiki.

naturalselection2.wikidot.com if anyone's interested in helping out.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1890423:date=Dec 16 2011, 03:00 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 16 2011, 03:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1890423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's a wiki?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Main_Page" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Main_Page</a>

The thing is, it is dependent on the forum theme you're using, the only one that shows the NS2 wiki link among other NS2 related links is the NS2 forum theme. The NS forum theme for instance shows NS links... Making it all kinda, troublesome :)
    alright, i started a guide page on the wiki. it turned out a bit different as it probably doesnt make sense to explain all the game mechanics.
    check it out:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Guide" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Guide</a>
    still Betabuild 189
    added:
    3.3 When should I use which weapon?
    for marines.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Nice start on the guide.
    I really like the general advice section.

I would like to point out that I did not know that requesting orders was requesting an extractor.
    Is this true??
    I use requesting orders when ...I don't know what to do next.
    This seems to be a voice comm lacking.
    edited December 2011
    it is not only intended for that use, but as i wrote it "often". i think this is because this is a situation where you really depend on the commander to react: during the time he doesn't, you are just standing there doing nothing (well, defending the area at least). in other situations, people can still act on their own without given immediate instructions. i also use voice for this, but it is sometimes overheard and might distract the commander too. if you use the menu, he is also able to use a shortcut (clicking on the message or pressing space i belive) which will center his view directly on your position.

oh and feel free to contribute something on your own, if you think its something new people easily overlook.
  • ogzogz Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9765Members
    put it this way.. if a marine is requesting orders, and you press 'space' to zoom in on his location...

and he's standing on an empty res node... he's probably asking for an extractor :p
    they just released 190, now there's
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lerk spores temporarily blind sentry turrets, confusing their aim, and shooting abilities<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    on the list as "started" for the next patch.
    apparently Quovatis has added the guide to the front page of the wiki:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->04:02, 30 December 2011 Quovatis (Talk | contribs) (2,257 bytes) (added guide and temp icon to main page)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    makes me happy :) the guide is still lacking quite some content so i'll try to do an uptime sometime soon. again, anyone is welcome to contribute.