Balance Mod

SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
edited October 2011 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">server side mod</div>Download:
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?zgxax1baxcxlg5r" target="_blank">Balance Mod 2.3</a>
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?s2t2drx9k6dea8w" target="_blank">Balance Mod 2.2</a>
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?3s5vkr55zkisi12" target="_blank">Balance Mod 2.1</a>
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?nepp72p8vncelf6" target="_blank">Balance Mod 2.0</a>
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?ajad0662ckoa41f" target="_blank">Balance Mod 1.8</a>
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?9vx0uzcxw4ejq3x" target="_blank">Balance Mod 1.6</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

hi all. I wrote a server side mod, which contains balance related changes and general improvements. Client don't need that mod and can connect just normally to a server with it enabled. I hope everything works, if any problems occur please let me know. GMOvrmind will load when you start the server with -game balance_mod, if you have it installed and enabled in the settings.

<!--coloro:#FFFACD--><span style="color:#FFFACD"><!--/coloro-->
General Changes:

- "bm_info" console command will show all options and their values
- enabled group rewards, depending on damage you contributed to a kill
- reduced personal resource income
- reduced RT HP and build time by ~35%
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#AFEEEE--><span style="color:#AFEEEE"><!--/coloro-->Marine changes:

- added option to require the sentries being build in proximity of a robotics factory (turrets will not power down if it gets destroyed)
- added option to make robotics factory cheaper and faster to build (disabled by default)
- added sentry limit mod by twiliteblue
- sentry health reduced to 600, and armor 80

- added option to limit the maximum amount of MACs (default 6)

- changed flamethrowers kOnFireEnergyRecuperationScalar to 1 (disables the negative effect on energy regeneration)
- changed flamethrower burn duration to 5 seconds (instead of random)
- burning infestation will now damage the cyst
- flame damage can now stack up, that means the more you heat up a target with the flamethrower, the more damage will be done

- increased advanced armory health / ap to 4000 / 600

- reduced arms lab build time and cost

- reduced ARC build time by 50%

- reduced grenade damage radius to 6 and detonation time to 0.9 (disabled by default, reduces the random kills and rewards aiming)

- increased marine base armor by 10 and each upgrade by 5 (disabled by default)

- prevent cancellation of rifle reload with fireing (only weapon switch can cancel reload now)
- reduced rifle melee damage so it's main purpose is to knockback skulks, instead of killing them

- added option to change the shotgun a bit. more useful at mid range, but less damage close up
<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Alien changes:

- increased initial blink cost (reduces cost over time) and prevent blinking for 1 seconds after you left blink mode (instead of when you enter it)
- increased fade HP to 250 to compensate for blink change
- reduced swipe damage and cost but increased ROF slighty, (results in similar DPS, but makes medpacking unarmored marines possible)

- reduced lerk max damage range but increased melee damage
- changed lerk spike and spike alt attack damage type to puncture (deal 33% less damage against structures)

- skulk armor increased to 10
- skulk bite ROF changed to 0.5 (was 0.45), dps / eps adjusted (you deal same damage, use same energy over time)

- reduced max hive energy to 100 and initial to 80
- reduced cyst cost to 15 energy
- reduced drifter cost to 20 energy

- whips move now 3 times faster when walking on infestation
- change whip health / AP 800/250 and mature 1000/350
- added option to enable bombard

- frenzy heal changed (heal ~40% of you max HP over time (10 hps), instead of depending on overkill damage, which was bad for lerks and gorges)

- added 3 hive bonus: increases health by 20% and reduces energy costs of all abilities by 20%

- added structure specific utility for gorge heal spray when that structure is being healed a certain amount:
- cyst heal: enables the gorge to place a free mini cyst (mini cyst for p.res have been disabled)
- hive heal: the hive will spawn an additional egg (in addition to normal egg spawn rate)
- crag heal: the crag will give you a protective shield which absorbs the next 120 damage.
- whip heal: you will be able to collect up to 5 bilebombs. (bilebomb as an upgrade has been removed)

- added respawn timer to aliens, after that timer expires you are allowed to respawn (default 4 seconds)
<!--coloro:#98FB98--><span style="color:#98FB98"><!--/coloro-->fixes/improvements:

- IPs will move the player, which it is currently respawning, to its position
- added experimental code to prevent anti AI stacking (ARCs etc. will spread out instead of going on top of each other)
- increased armor repair range for marines
- enabled entity limitation for gorges (mini cyst + hydras)

You can change individual features by editing the Settings.lua file.

content of settings.lua:
<!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro-->
<div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain' style='height:200px;white-space:pre;overflow:auto'>// ------------------------- general options:

kLoadGMOvrMind = true

// enables group rewards for killing structures / players, decreases personal resource income from RTs and reduces RT build time
kChangeResModel = true

// prevents AI units (macs, arcs, drifters, whips) from stacking in each other. that could lead to slightly increased cpu usage on server
kEnableAntiAIStacking = true

// ------------------------- alien options:

// triggers structure specific effects when they are healed a certain amount
// hive: produces an additional egg
// cyst: gives the gorge the option to place a mini cyst for free (mini cyst for p.res has been disabled)
kEnableOverHeal = true

// reduce melee upgrade cost by 33%, research time by 50% and effectiveness: 3%, 6%, 9% (instead of 10%, 20%, 30%)
kChangeMeleeUpgrades = true

// reduces swipe damage, so that 1 hit deals 99 damage on a non armored marine (makes medpacks possible, since you would need 2 attacks)
// further increaes initial blink cost and prevents blinking for 1 seconds after you left blink mode (instead of when you enter it)
kChangeFade = true

// reduces spike damage from distance but increases slightly in melee range, also type changed to puncture (33% less against structures)
kChangeLerk = true

// increase armor back to 10, skulk bite ROF to 0.5 (was 0.45), dps / eps adjusted (you deal same damage, use same energy over time)
kChangeSkulk = true

// only 1 hive is allowed being build at once, drifter cost reduced to 20, cyst to 15, hive max energy reduced to 100 and initial to 90
kChangeHive = true

// makes whip move 3 times faster on infestation, increase HP / AP and enables bombard
kChangeWhip = true

// maximum of structures of the same kind allowed to build in an area
kGorgeBuildingLimit = 6

// changes frenzy to heal 35% of max life, but over time instead of instantly
kChangeFrenzy = true

// increases health by 20% and reduces energy costs of all abilities by 20%
kEnableThreeHiveBonus = true

// ------------------------- marine options:

// increases advanced armory health
kChangeAdvancedArmory = true

// reduces build time and costs of arms lab
kChangeArmsLab = true

kChangeTechBuildings = true

// makes the shotgun little bit stronger at mid range, and little bit weaker at low range, prevents two shotting fades but is more useful in general
kChangeShotgun = true

// prevents cancelation of rifle reload (and GL reload)
kPreventReloadCancel = true

// reduces the melee damage of the rifle, so it's main purpose is to knockback skulks, not to kill them
kChangeRifle = true

// removes energy cripple effect, fixes burn duration to 5 seconds, enables burning surfaces and heat up damage increase (initial damage is lower)
// burning infestation will now damage the cyst
kChangeFlamethrower = true

// reduces the explosion range and detonation time of grenade launcher
kChangeGrenadeLauncher = false

// reduce ARC build time by 50%
kChangeARCs = true

// reduces build time and costs of robotics factory by 50%
kChangeRoboticsFactory = false

// set to false to disable or enter maximum amount of allowed macs
kLimitMacs = 6

// increases marines base armor by 10 and each upgrade by 5
kChangeMarineArmor = true

// requires the sentry to be build close to a robotics factory
kChangeSentry = true

// sentry limit mod by twiliteblue
kSentryBuildRadius = 40 // standard 20, good value for summit is 40
kMaxSentryInArea = 4

</div>

Comments

• TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Sounds very interesting! Now lets get this out on some servers!
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i produced a sound bug with the sentries now (powering up all the time) which will be fixed in next version. also, most people did not like the fade changes, i will disable them by default in future.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    edited October 2011
    uploaded a new version:
    - sentry sound bug (spinning up constantly) fixed
    - fade changes disabled by default
    - hive cost changed back to 50, instead you are now allowed to build only 1 hive at once
    - new option for grenade launcher to make it less frustrating for aliens
    - option for ARC build time reduced by 50%
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I really like all the changes you made. Would all make vanilla NS2 better.
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    Interesting modification. I'll have to give this a whirl.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    - reduced lerk max damage range but increased melee damage

Have you tested this?
    Why would i do 0 dmg after a few meters even tho it still hits perfectly...
    Its now a hitscan weapon, like a machine gun - this big dmg drop is not logical, you currently dont really know if you did/are doing any dmg at a certain range... (at least if you are not flying in the face of a marine, then its op and even better than altfire, and against structures - holy moly)

- reduced RT cost to 5 and HP by ~35% + faster build time

Now i could block rts from aliens, and if recycle works - i only lose 1 res... and if not 5 (not that big deal either, for the time aliens cant get res and the distraction it provides)
    Drop all the rts! - you have to care even less if you can defend it/ or how long.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    I'd like to see Recycle return less resources. Right now (in vanilla) it's too easy for Marines to block resource & tech nodes, and recycle them, and receive back most of the cost.

Sentries appear to be working normal again! Nice work man! I think you should release that fix separately, so more servers can have functional sentries.
    <!--quoteo(post=1878847:date=Oct 9 2011, 01:57 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Oct 9 2011, 01:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- reduced lerk max damage range but increased melee damage

Have you tested this?
    Why would i do 0 dmg after a few meters even tho it still hits perfectly...
    Its now a hitscan weapon, like a machine gun - this big dmg drop is not logical, you currently dont really know if you did/are doing any dmg at a certain range... (at least if you are not flying in the face of a marine, then its op and even better than altfire, and against structures - holy moly)

- reduced RT cost to 5 and HP by ~35% + faster build time

Now i could block rts from aliens, and if recycle works - i only lose 1 res... and if not 5 (not that big deal either, for the time aliens cant get res and the distraction it provides)
    Drop all the rts! - you have to care even less if you can defend it/ or how long.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

good points there. would be nice to hear more opinions about those changes. you can anyway, if you don't like some of the features, disable them in Settings.lua.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2011
    played on the hbz, skulk starting armor was 20.... so either something is wrong with the numbers, or it didnt reset some armor upgrades between rounds.
    edited October 2011
    I just found out myself. that was a mistake. I wanted to change the armor to 10, but I only updated the change log and not the code :X I will anyway upload soon an update:

- skulk armor fixed (is now 10 when option is enabled),
    - gorge building limitation (default 6 structures of same kind allowed per area, so only 6 mini cyst + 6 hydras maximum in one area)
    - flamethrower heat up damage
    - burning infestation will now damage the cyst
    - frenzy heal changed (heal ~40% of you max HP over time (10 hps), instead of depending on overkill damage, which was bad for lerks and gorges)
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    I played your mod for a couple hours today and I have a couple suggestions:

1) I think alien health regeneration needs to be looked at, especially for high-armor lifeforms. It's pretty slow. How about if armor heals at the same rate as health? It would also allow you to adjust health / armor ratios without worrying about gimping regeneration rates as much.

2) Can you increase marine armor welding range by a little bit? I feel like I have to get a little <i>too</i> close to my teammates.

3) And also, could you try increasing the shotgun minimum damage to 3 or 4? The damage falloff feels a little steep and I find it difficult to cover other marines - even from a short distance away.
    <!--quoteo(post=1878959:date=Oct 9 2011, 04:07 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 9 2011, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I played your mod for a couple hours today and I have a couple suggestions:

1) I think alien health regeneration needs to be looked at, especially for high-armor lifeforms. It's pretty slow. How about if armor heals at the same rate as health? It would also allow you to adjust health / armor ratios without worrying about gimping regeneration rates as much.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the next version will include an option to enable regeneration (and carapace). I hope that will help a little bit. the armor regeneration is a bit faster, but kicks only in when you are at full health (to make that ability not too useful during combat). If i make a drastic change to armor regeneration, it could make the already pretty strong aliens OP and we see 90% marine loses.

<!--quoteo(post=1878959:date=Oct 9 2011, 04:07 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 9 2011, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) Can you increase marine armor welding range by a little bit? I feel like I have to get a little <i>too</i> close to my teammates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i will take a look at it

<!--quoteo(post=1878959:date=Oct 9 2011, 04:07 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 9 2011, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1878959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3) And also, could you try increasing the shotgun minimum damage to 3 or 4? The damage falloff feels a little steep and I find it difficult to cover other marines - even from a short distance away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I planned to add an option for the shotgun as well and I have already some good numbers from the PT mod.
    edited October 2011
    Balance Mod 1.3

- increased armor repair range for marines
    - added option to enable catpacks (disabled by default)
    - increased marine base armor by 10 and each upgrade by 5 (disabled by default)
    - enabled carapace and regeneration upgrades
    - added 3 hive bonus: increases health by 20% and reduces energy costs of all abilities by 20%
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any Server runng this mod?

If you have time may you take a look at the Lerk Shotgun?
    •spread seems really strange. If you sit on the ground and use it, around 2m in front of you some spikes hit the ground
    •and Lerk Shotgun should have a,bigger , cooldown.

Btw a good idea to do a serverside mod so more people can test it out! Whoohooo!
    edited October 2011
    I added a few more options. At first i thought it's not worth an update, but since this mod is just server side, people don't need to download anything to stay compatible. So here is <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?8itud9m1cjjh5eu" target="_blank">version 1.4</a>:

as usual each change is optional

- changed pistol damage type to light and increased damage (finisher weapon instead of starter, it was heavy damage before which drains armor faster)
    - prevent cancellation of rifle reload with fireing (only weapon switch can cancel reload now)
    - reduced rifle melee damage so it's main purpose is to knockback skulks, instead of killing them
    - added option to change the shotgun a bit. more useful at mid range, but less damage close up to prevent 2 shotting fades (they will have 10 HP left)

- reduced swipe damage, so that 1 hit deals 99 damage on a non armored marine (makes medpacks possible, since you would need 2 attacks)

fix:

- fixed bug with blink where you could activate it when having less than minimal energy cost
    edited October 2011
    I tried out the new build on a listen server. The shotgun damage feels more intuitive overall, but there's a bug with the rifle reload fix which allows you to shoot while reloading.
    oh thanks, i must have missed that somehow :D I fixed it but I did not change version number. just download 1.4 again and it should be ok.
    I think it's working correctly now, but the firing animation and sounds still play if you attempt to fire while reloading.
    edited October 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1879129:date=Oct 10 2011, 12:55 PM:name=Jaweese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jaweese @ Oct 10 2011, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's working correctly now, but the firing animation and sounds still play if you attempt to fire while reloading.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's because it's a server side mod and the client doesn't know that he cannot shoot now :)

i made a small update:

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?ij7vbi9phg362wn" target="_blank">Balance Mod 1.5</a>

- added twiliteblues sentry limit mod
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Hey Schimmel, can you explain this change to me:

- skulk bite ROF changed to 0.5 (was 0.45), dps / eps adjusted (you deal same damage, use same energy over time)

I don't get it. Does that mean you bite faster or slower?

Also, I think the skulk armour is fine at 5.
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    It means you skulks bite 0.05 seconds slower.
    edited October 2011
    it is slower with this change. you will not really notice it :) <strike>maybe I should change that number to 0.6 (even slowlier), but I'm not sure.</strike> I'm somehow not very happy about the bite speed, maybe I'm alone with this opinion. so i guess most admins will not enable the skulk option.

edit: just compared bite speed 0.45 vs. 0.5. you will notice a difference, i like slowlier more :)
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2011
    I like how you're normalizing the damage spikes. Those changes should make the game more balanced and enjoyable, by reducing the "blink and you're dead" style of combat in 1v1 situations.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    I think you should try and make lerk spikes do 50% less damage against buildings. Spikes are so powerful against buildings, and many teams use this by all going lerk and then cloak rushing base. That's not very fun gameplay. With spikes vs structure nerf, a whole team won't go lerk.
    <!--quoteo(post=1879373:date=Oct 11 2011, 01:41 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Oct 11 2011, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1879373"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you should try and make lerk spikes do 50% less damage against buildings. Spikes are so powerful against buildings, and many teams use this by all going lerk and then cloak rushing base. That's not very fun gameplay. With spikes vs structure nerf, a whole team won't go lerk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I will add an option for it
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?9vx0uzcxw4ejq3x" target="_blank">Balance Mod 1.6</a>

- increased p.res income per RT (still lower than normal, but before it was too less: 80 seconds for 1 res, now 53)
    - if you enable lerk change: it will also change spike damage type to puncture. lerks will deal 33% less damage on structures than before
    - removed the bug fixes and pistol change from the mod since they are now included in build 187
    edited October 2011
    I almost forgot about this: 2 weeks ago I wrote some code to prevent AI unit stacking (there are even papers about a similar concept called 'flocking'), which I wanted to include in 1.6. But i think it's worth to have a seperate version for that: if something is broken, you can fall back to 1.6. But I added an option which should correctly enable and disable the anti stacking code. So here it is:

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?sh1bke8w5r5edhq" target="_blank">Balance Mod 1.7</a>

- added experimental code to prevent anti AI stacking (ARCs etc. will spread out instead of going on top of each other)

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8XJ-kd4Fbw"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s8XJ-kd4Fbw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

edit: this code will naturally consume more CPU power on the server. So if that draw back is too much, please let me know. There are ways to optimize the code (read: completely rewrite and apply the flocking method)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited October 2011
    Nice to see some of these changes working their way into the official builds. Good work! Also the anti-stacking code is certainly better than the current build, but the ideal should have these ARCs seamlessly moving around each other ARCs and fall in line when in proximity. MACs would have to maintain a small "bubble" around them so they float away when they get near other things unless repairing. So if they get to near another object, their little jets active a little to push them away and re-orient.
    edited October 2011
    <a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?ajad0662ckoa41f" target="_blank">Balance Mod 1.8</a>

a new update! i tried to balance the fade better and give the gorge more to do:

marine:

- added option to require the sentries being build in proximity of a robotics factory (turrets will not power down if it gets destroyed)
    - added option to make robotics factory cheaper and faster to build (disabled by default)

- added option to limit the maximum amount of MACs (default 6)

- reduced arms lab build time and cost (HP AP boost has been removed)

alien:

- increased initial blink cost (reduces cost over time) and prevent blinking for 1 seconds after you left blink mode (instead of when you enter it)
    - increased fade HP to 250 to compensate for blink change
    - reduced swipe damage and cost but increased ROF slighty, (results in similar DPS, but makes medpacking unarmored marines possible)

- added structure specific utility for gorge heal spray when that structure is being healed a certain amount:
    - cyst heal: enables the gorge to place a free mini cyst (mini cyst for p.res have been disabled)
    - hive heal: the hive will spawn an additional egg (in addition to normal egg spawn rate)

edit: the free cyst could confuse the client a little bit. the client does not know about the weapon change until it's too late, which results in that you can still see the ghost model of the cyst. So, don't get confused, this is not really a bug but since the mod is server side I have no options to fix that. But it works ;)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Flocking looks great! It's buggy, but still much better than the way things work now.