Decoda News Update - Decoda 1.14 released

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Decoda News Update - Decoda 1.14 released here

Comments

• rezinationrezination Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111786Members
    Tried to install the new Decoda update. The install seemed to succeed but when launching, it gives me this error:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I tried doing a full uninstall & reinstall, no luck. Any ideas? I'm on Windows 7 64-bit if it matters.

-Rez
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I'm getting the same error. Same OS too.
  • rezinationrezination Join Date: 2011-07-22 Member: 111786Members
    edited July 2011
    I've tested this on four machines. Three are running 64-bit Windows 7 and they all have the same problem. The fourth is on 32-bit Win XP, SP3 and it works just fine. Looks like it's either a Win 7 thing or a 64-bit thing.

Any ETA on a patch or work-around for this? I still have the 1.3 installer so I just rolled back on my Win 7 machines but I use a black background, so I was really hoping for that inverted cursor color fix.

Edit: Also, using compatibility mode didn't work for the Win 7 machines.

-Rez
  • ExorphExorph Join Date: 2011-07-23 Member: 111854Members
    edited July 2011
    I'm not 100% sure it's the update, but some seriously funky stuff has started happening with my project now. I have only made changes in the lua code, not in the C++ code.

Decoda always breaks at the end of the first file, even though there's no breakpoint there. I had made an error in the code, trying to index a nil field, but when I tried to place a breakpoint before the line where it happened, Decoda seemed to ignore that breakpoint move past that onto the faulty line and then throw the exception.

I've put another breakpoint further into the game, where I try to call a function which is apparently nil, and Decoda breaks on it as it should, but when I try to check the variable containing the function, either by hovering over it or adding it to the Watchlist, I get a Visual C++ error.

Assertion Failed!
    file: lapi.c
    line: 305

Expression: L->top < L->ci->top

Edit: Okay, I found the installation file for the previous version and reverted to it (thank god for those incredibly short uninstall and install times) and I can confirm that I'm not having these problems any more, so it wasn't my lua code causing them. I'll be waiting for a patch then.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I've uploaded a new installer which will hopefully address the side-by-side assembly problems you are experiencing. Please let me know if you still have problems after installing that version.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1862695:date=Jul 23 2011, 04:48 AM:name=Exorph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Exorph @ Jul 23 2011, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862695"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not 100% sure it's the update, but some seriously funky stuff has started happening with my project now. I have only made changes in the lua code, not in the C++ code.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would it be possible for you to send me your application? My email is max@unknownworlds.com
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Experiencing the same issue, with Windows 7 (32-bit), even after a complete re-install of NS2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1862810:date=Jul 23 2011, 09:21 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jul 23 2011, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862810"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would it be possible for you to send me your application? My email is max@unknownworlds.com<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just sent you a mail.
  • ChrisAChrisA Join Date: 2011-07-24 Member: 111978Members
    Hi Folks,
    I too am having problems with the update to 1.14.
    When I started Decoda (which had been working previously) the upgrade to ver 1.14 was offered. Always happy to make a good product even better I applied the upgrade. It appeared to install without errors, however when I first ran the new version I received the following message;

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have since reinstalled ver 1.13 (Build 1031), which is working properly.

My operating system is WinXP sp3 and, if it is of any relevence, I have Decoda installed on the "E" drive.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1862990:date=Jul 24 2011, 06:07 AM:name=ChrisA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChrisA @ Jul 24 2011, 06:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1862990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have since reinstalled ver 1.13 (Build 1031), which is working properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How'd you manage that? Is there a link for previous versions? I would very much like to get back to programming :)
  • thelinxthelinx Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113495Members
    edited August 2011
    I also get a side-by-side configuration error when trying to launch Decoda.

Here is the error event as exported from Windows's Event Viewer: <a href="http://anyhub.net/file/3Mbx-decoda_error.evtx" target="_blank">http://anyhub.net/file/3Mbx-decoda_error.evtx</a>

Edit:
    Looks like Anyhub crapped out on me. Here's a mirror: <a href="http://solidfiles.com/d/a34e1/" target="_blank">http://solidfiles.com/d/a34e1/</a> (file is called desura_error, just a brainfart on my end)

I googled the error message and found <a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nikolad/archive/2007/03/29/a-solution-to-two-references-to-different-versions-of-crt-mfc-atl-in-one-application-manifest-file.aspx" target="_blank">this</a> with the following solution
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To fix the problem, you must rebuild all parts of your code with the newest toolset and libraries. Make sure you have cleaned up all binaries built by the old toolset and started full rebuild of the whole source base. Also check that old versions of headers and import libraries for VC++ libraries are not on INCLUDE and LIB path and they are not used during the build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So I had to reformat my computer and now version 1.13 won't run on my computer any more for some reason.
    I hope there's some progress being done on these bugs, because right now the new version of Decoda is proving more of a hindrance to my work than anything else. :/
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    i downloaded it from the page (trial version) and its working for me, without any problems.
    Would be nice if my ns2 se key would work with that version, since the one provided with ns2 is not starting up (win7 64-bit here)