Lerk Flight by twiliteblue

twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
edited March 2012 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">Movement Mod</div><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112361&st=0" target="_blank">I&S Original Topic</a>

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#FF4000--><span style="color:#FF4000"><!--/coloro--><u>Note: This is a <b>server side mod</b> which is incompatible with the default client. To test the mod, you will need to create your own local server.</u><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Steps To Install a Mod:
1. Copy the folder/zip archive to your Natural Selection 2 directory
2. Create a shortcut to your ns2.exe
3. Open the property of the shorcut you just created in step 2, and modify the Target, by appending outside the quote marks:
-game <i>name of mod</i>
(eg. -game lerk_mod)
4. Finally, launch the mod from the shortcut.

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->
Newest:
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?132ljd69lwpho9a" target="_blank">Lerk Mod Version 4.4 Download (b200)</a>

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?4ee3py9xnp8ezzl" target="_blank">Lerk Mod Version 4.3b Download (b200)</a>
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?a3mn8nvlcjmra1v" target="_blank">Lerk Mod Version 4.2 Download (b200)</a>
<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?z8bhx493yt9wkfb" target="_blank">Lerk Mod Version 3.1a Download (b199)</a>
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?2w2kn49eanw38t2" target="_blank">Lerk Mod Version 3.0b Download (b197)</a>
<a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?eb4aaapcjs7325l" target="_blank">Lerk Mod Version 3.0 Download (b197)</a>

Changelog:

V 4.3b:
(based on build 200, compatible with build 201)
- Changed glide behaviour
- Improved gliding responsiveness
- Tweaked flap vertical thrust
- Tweaked air friction

V 3.1:
- Increase air acceleration from 4 to 6
- Reduced flap force on quick successive flaps (within 0.25 sec following previous flap)
- Flapping when not gliding reduces current velocity dramatically for even quicker direction change (kFlapDragScalar)
- Removed air control speed clamp in ComputeForwardVelocity (which had no effect at all)
- Removed Ctrl air friction

V 3.0a:
- Added circle strafing. Turn while flapping Left/Right and hold Jump to perform circle strafing. Tap Forward key to adjust radius.
- Looking in the vertical direction at steep angles no longer stops gliding!
- Upward flapping (Jump) when gliding now adds upward force.
- Reworked Shift key air brake. It now applies friction based on current velocity.
- Tweaked flap force and the velocity lost on each flap.
- Capped flap upward velocity (to 13).

Installation:
Extract the zip archive to "Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2" folder, then create a shortcut with target = "Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe" -game mod_lerk_3.0b
Then, launch the mod from the new shortcut.

Mini-Guide to the New Flying Experience:

<b>hold Jump + Forward</b> while in the air ===== Glide Forward
<b>hold Jump + Back</b> =================== Stop Gliding (decelerate and re-engage gravity)
<b>hold Jump + Left / Right (+ Forward)</b> ========= Strafe Glide
<b>hold Jump only</b> ===================== Drifting Glide -- maintains flight height. Great for fly-by carpet bombing. Strafing provides excellent maneuverability, but may cause Lerk to spin out of control (when turning too quickly at low velocity).
<b>hold Shift </b> ========================== Cap flight speed (to half of max speed)

Tapping Jump + Direction Key flaps in that direction, allowing rapid changing of direction. (Lateral and backward flight speed have high friction, as the Lerk is meant to be mostly flying foward.)

I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions!

Comments

• digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited June 2011
    Split this into it's own thread to share with the rest of the Mod community.

This kind of community involvement is fantastic. I think it's what UWE envisioned for NS2 in regards to user created content - a plausible and popular I&S idea pops up, the community gathers support for the idea and then someone steps up and actually tackles the problem. The game is far from polished and this contributes immensely.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks digz! I read yesterday that Charlie will be improving Lerk flight control next patch. Can't wait to try it out!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    This mod is nice. Hopefully the improved flight model will work a similar fashion to this one.
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    UW should just take this flight scheme instead of the old one.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Thanks guys! I hope the devs could have a try at my mod too.

(Updated notes about mod being a server-side mod, as well as control keys)
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited July 2011
    Sounds sweet I have a slight problem though!

I have installed it by adding the modlerk to common/naturalselection2/ folder, I made an shortcut of "NS.exe" and added "steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe" -game mod_lerk to the shortcut.

Result when I try lerking in a local server of mine.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IUHjcIzXEs" target="_blank">I dont think this was the intended result</a>

This does not occur unless I run it through the shortcut made.

Someone's F5 ing this thread btw, click click click.
    @TrC: The Lerk clones are attacking! Run for your life!

Hmmm I didn't have any trouble running it myself a day ago.

It could be a change in B180 that broke the mod. Let me port it to the new build and test it.
    I hate to push it especially since UWE (err build) ruins it every patch, but are you working on fixing it to the newest build I really really would like to test it :)
    Ok I think I fixed it. I've also made some minor improvements.

Please try version 1.8 and see if it works. :D
    edited July 2011
    With haste!
    Yea ###### epic, jewel in this garbage dump

+Extremely intituitive
    +Easy and allows for complex unpredictable movement
    +Much better burst speed so starting off stationary does not take forever

-You get stuck at floor
    -Sometimes the momentum throws you off
    -Strafe gliding with shift makes you fall down

Good job mate.

I took liberty of recording a little bit flight if I missed anything or you do not wish for it, Ill delete it asap.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtu8fb-3_pQ" target="_blank">Epicness here</a>

@twiliteblue Basically you cant glide the floor, using control or similar key to make sure you cant stop unless directy hit something would be nice.
    need to try those tricks later today!
    <!--quoteo(post=1861246:date=Jul 17 2011, 12:22 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 17 2011, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With haste!
    Yea ###### epic, jewel in this garbage dump

+Extremely intituitive
    +Easy and allows for complex unpredictable movement
    +Much better burst speed so starting off stationary does not take forever

-You get stuck at floor
    -Sometimes the momentum throws you off
    -Strafe gliding with shift makes you fall down

Good job mate.

I took liberty of recording a little bit flight if I missed anything or you do not wish for it, Ill delete it asap.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xtu8fb-3_pQ" target="_blank">Epicness here</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good job! Thanks for making the video! I've been too lazy to do it myself. (It's not like I can copyright the mod) :P

A few more tricks you can do:
    + Circle strafe, by turning your mouse while flapping sideways
    + Carpet bomb, by first flying level, then release forward, and look down slightly (~45 degrees max) to spore

Strafing speed actually depends your forward speed. I will tweak the strafe amount so you no longer fall out of gliding mode, at the cost of strafing speed (it used to work like that in an earlier version). The advantage of the current fast strafing speed is, it allows very rapid turns, if you strafe, and turn in that direction.

In your video, it was a bit hard to tell when you were strafing with all the turning. :P

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-You get stuck at floor<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm not sure I understand that problem you listed. Could you make a video demonstration of that (with some aerial dancing in Crevice)?
  • UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It looks pretty sweet in TrC's video. But do you have gliding included? I'm staying faithful to my dearest gliding... :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1861344:date=Jul 18 2011, 12:28 PM:name=Uzrbital)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzrbital @ Jul 18 2011, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It looks pretty sweet in TrC's video. But do you have gliding included? I'm staying faithful to my dearest gliding... :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Holding space makes you glide, I'm just making unnessery motions to test the control.
  • UzrbitalUzrbital Join Date: 2011-07-04 Member: 107858Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1861353:date=Jul 18 2011, 05:15 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 18 2011, 05:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holding space makes you glide, I'm just making unnessery motions to test the control.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, nice. Sadly, almost no servers use this mod :(
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    edited July 2011
    I'm got to try this and see how it compares. seems to be good judging from the feedback =)

edit
    @Uzrbital: your signature is too large, you have to resize it. that's the reason.
    <!--quoteo(post=1861370:date=Jul 18 2011, 05:49 AM:name=Taxen0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Taxen0 @ Jul 18 2011, 05:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm got to try this and see how it compares. seems to be good judging from the feedback =)

edit
    @Uzrbital: your signature is too large, you have to resize it. that's the reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't resize a picture link? :(
    <!--quoteo(post=1861355:date=Jul 18 2011, 01:22 PM:name=Uzrbital)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzrbital @ Jul 18 2011, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, nice. Sadly, almost no servers use this mod :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You can use it on your own server if you want to test it out.
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861377:date=Jul 18 2011, 05:59 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 18 2011, 05:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can use it on your own server if you want to test it out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh cool, what's the name of the server? 24/7?

Oshi- I didn't see the 'your' word.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1861379:date=Jul 18 2011, 12:03 PM:name=Uzrbital)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Uzrbital @ Jul 18 2011, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh cool, what's the name of the server? 24/7?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    TrC meant that you can host your own server and try it there.
    <!--quoteo(post=1861380:date=Jul 18 2011, 06:07 AM:name=Taxen0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Taxen0 @ Jul 18 2011, 06:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1861380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TrC meant that you can host your own server and try it there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Edited post, silly me. Didn't see him saying 'Your'.
    edited July 2011
    I'll be adding a second video regarding this flight mod,

1st I'll show how to flight gets "stuck" on the ground, I think you should be able to glide on the floor if so need be, it is just so when you are climbing uphill or happen to stratch some obsticle you wont completely stop
    2nd You lose control of the lerk after swapping from straight glide to sudden strafe.
    3rd is a rather poor attempt at using strafing as means of shooting, it can be done better and combined with other elements.
    4rd is to show how easy it is to spore, by flying straight and dropping multiple times to spore the ground, needless to say in game you need to add some spin to make it less predictable.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_IDwuKN0M" target="_blank">More lerk action</a>
    It looks like we might see more improvements to Lerk flight in build 181. I'm super excited to test the changes!
    I'm not so much, they are hellbent on looks, flapping going upwards and have failed twice already despite saying its "cool".
    Updated: <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?s9617tk4658ad88" target="_blank">Download Lerk Mod V 1.9 - Compatible with B182</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    edited July 2011
    Updated: <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><a href="http://www.mediafire.com/?8oxvsm61b4z5hb2" target="_blank">Download Lerk Mod V 1.9.1 - Compatible with B183</a><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Hopefully this will be the final build (if there are no hidden bugs). :D

Changelog:
    + Improved upward/downward gliding
    + Updated directional flapping code
    + Decreased the air time required to reach max speed
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    we both should hit 2.0 simultaneously!
    <!--quoteo(post=1864511:date=Jul 29 2011, 02:08 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Jul 29 2011, 02:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->we both should hit 2.0 simultaneously!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why do you think I only incremented my patch number by 0.01? :P
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    I just tried out your mod and it's great! Waaay better than the current 183 version.

Hopefully this gets more attention.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    I really like this mod.

Is it possible to make it so that you can remain in the air while strafing left and right. I think it'd be cool to be able to circle strafe around marines while in mid air.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    its possible already, you just need a room which is big enough.

i made some 1on1 fights on a test map with the lerk (with standard hit-points), but with hit-scan spikes + rudimentary damage zones (wings take less damage = marine didn't aim well) it were very intensive fights, and very difficult against shotgunner and flamethrower. but rifle is not the lerk killer anymore with this flight mod. you can strafe fly like crazy, confuse your enemy and when you see the opportunity: go close range and finish him (close range damage is still increased, as intended by uwe)

this mod is so great for the lerk