Let's make NS2 machinima!

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
edited July 2011 in NS2 E-Team
<div class="IPBDescription">Anyone interested?</div>Could be fun!

Its early but for now I would still like to see who is interested in helping(how they can contribute) and the ideas that the community has on such a production. I really would like to see it happen, and it would also be a great way to advertise NS2 even more. Would you guys like it to be more of a serious or funny story? Or maybe a mixture of both.... discuss...

Also anyone want to be a voice actor or puppeteer let me know! OR anything else that you think you can help us with (website, video editing recording, writing, directing ect.,)

Comments

• Megarith747Megarith747 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98585Members
    Bit more of explanation?
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    Although the idea is great.
    It could potentially backfire, it would be best to do frag vids.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    better idea: use the cutscene maker to make the machinima.
  • Megarith747Megarith747 Join Date: 2011-05-13 Member: 98585Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1857748:date=Jul 3 2011, 10:25 AM:name=Ironsoul)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ironsoul @ Jul 3 2011, 10:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857748"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...] cutscene maker [...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What?
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Think he meant the cinematic editor.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    the cutsc3n3 maker!
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2011
    Sorry I have been busy lately guys. I do not care if it is comedy or a serious story, but any ideas for characters and a plot? Come on guys throw out some ideas!

Edit: Also anyone want to be a voice actor or puppeteer let me know! OR anything else that you think you can help us with (website, video editing recording ect.,)
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    If you need some cinematic stuff I can give it a go as i have been spending some time with it and getting the feel for it.

See latest toying example:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVo9IHR_-Rc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVo9IHR_-Rc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I am keen for machinima - especially as it relates to the creation of fan-trailers. My editing, special effects, and recording are at the disposal of anyone who can create a slick script.

I think for good quality machinima we will have to wait for one of two things:

1. Bezier control of curve inflexion points in the cinematic editor (It is currently very difficult to create natural, linked camera paths).

Or

2. A 'demo-recorder'/'replay-editor'
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1858239:date=Jul 5 2011, 09:12 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Jul 5 2011, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am keen for machinima - especially as it relates to the creation of fan-trailers. My editing, special effects, and recording are at the disposal of anyone who can create a slick script.

1. Bezier control of curve inflexion points in the cinematic editor (It is currently very difficult to create natural, linked camera paths).

Or

2. A 'demo-recorder'/'replay-editor'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is good for you to mention that, Hugh. For now I would still like to see who is interested in helping(how they can contribute) and the ideas that the community has on such a production. I really would like to see it happen, and it would also be a great way to advertise NS2 even more. Would you guys like it to be more of a serious or funny story? Or maybe a mixture of both.... discuss...

Oh and also as for myself I am not that skilled, I would mostly like to be puppeteer/writer/voice actor...
    <!--quoteo(post=1858038:date=Jul 5 2011, 01:39 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Jul 5 2011, 01:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you need some cinematic stuff I can give it a go as i have been spending some time with it and getting the feel for it.

See latest toying example:

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVo9IHR_-Rc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVo9IHR_-Rc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is really great stuff Wolf. I am sure that we can use your contribution, I will keep in touch with you!
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2011
    When the replay editor arrives, i'm gonna make some kind of NS2 fragmovie, to promote NS2 and give all of you guys some viewing pleasure.
    Here is a counter strike fragmovie I did some years ago:
    <a href="http://swalkmovies.dk/files/Flaming_Revenge_2_-_Rising_Spirits_-_60fps.rar" target="_blank">Flaming Revenge 2 - Rising Spirits 60fps</a>
    Please PM me if you have a too old computer to view it, and I will edit with lower quality links.
    Sorry I don't have a direct steam, and only a direct download. My webmaster is a damn lazyass, I shouldn't be paying him..
  • Lord_MandaloreLord_Mandalore Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109328Members
    I've got a few thousand subscribers. Nothing INSANE or anything, but I'd be happy to get in on this and help get the word about this great game around.

www.youtube.com/user/MandaloreMovies
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858239:date=Jul 6 2011, 03:12 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Jul 6 2011, 03:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858239"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am keen for machinima - especially as it relates to the creation of fan-trailers. My editing, special effects, and recording are at the disposal of anyone who can create a slick script.

Or

2. A 'demo-recorder'/'replay-editor'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, for 1, most Machinima don't make use of it because it simply does not exist. In actual fact, they just use camera rotation to guide the path of the camera or rework the scene to fit alternate camera positions.

For 2, that's much more important to the creation of Machinima, but it's still not unworkable. Just have to do live shots and be prepared to do them multiple times.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1866452:date=Aug 5 2011, 07:48 AM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Aug 5 2011, 07:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866452"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, for 1, most Machinima don't make use of it because it simply does not exist. In actual fact, they just use camera rotation to guide the path of the camera or rework the scene to fit alternate camera positions.

For 2, that's much more important to the creation of Machinima, but it's still not unworkable. Just have to do live shots and be prepared to do them multiple times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really love your optimism Zuriki, but you don't appear to understand that it is impossible film a curved camera path in the cinematic editor. So I'm not sure how you intend to 'use camera rotation to guide the path of the camera.' You can't 'rework a scene' to make a camera path curved.

And 2: Take a look at the beta gameplay trailer. Those shots of all those multi perspective battles are live shots. That trailer took two months to make, and it has no story.

I want to make NS2 machinima as much as you do, but we need the right tools for the job. Until we have them, we can't make material that will do NS2 justice. For now, our energy is probably better spent trying to make mods to get the tools we need.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866486:date=Aug 5 2011, 12:26 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Aug 5 2011, 12:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866486"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really love your optimism Zuriki, but you don't appear to understand that it is impossible film a curved camera path in the cinematic editor. So I'm not sure how you intend to 'use camera rotation to guide the path of the camera.' You can't 'rework a scene' to make a camera path curved.

And 2: Take a look at the beta gameplay trailer. Those shots of all those multi perspective battles are live shots. That trailer took two months to make, and it has no story.

I want to make NS2 machinima as much as you do, but we need the right tools for the job. Until we have them, we can't make material that will do NS2 justice. For now, our energy is probably better spent trying to make mods to get the tools we need.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was assuming in-game filming ala Red v Blue (early series). Of course we wouldn't use the cinematic editor unless we needed it for environmental effects or something along those lines. Cinematic editor is more CGI than Machinima (not the hipster way of doing things!)
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    I'd be more than happy to be an actor!
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    why MOTHER in Nancy was the nothing hive and nothing is where contact with Kharaa' 1st occurs
    W00t skymander, thank you for volunteering to be the first "puppeteer".

We just need a good writer, or someone that can think of an interesting story to tell!
  • SkymanderXSkymanderX Green Marine - The Few, The Proud, The Green. Join Date: 2011-07-29 Member: 113006Members
    how about a video remake of 6 sanjii? that would be awesome! we could also make it on one of the new maps or a combination of all of them. Rockdown might be good too.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1877366:date=Sep 28 2011, 06:38 PM:name=SkymanderX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SkymanderX @ Sep 28 2011, 06:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877366"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about a video remake of 6 sanjii? that would be awesome! we could also make it on one of the new maps or a combination of all of them. Rockdown might be good too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As I said somewhere else, 6 sanjii would be a GREAT idea, IF you could push someone to finish it... would certainly get people interested in the "NS2 universe" (that's otherwise pretty absent). Maybe someone could make a Sanjii map, its basic shape WAS described several times already.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    lol, 2 epic questions:

1- wtf is a machinima?

2- wtf is 6 sanji?

Ty.
    <!--quoteo(post=1877447:date=Sep 30 2011, 04:10 AM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 30 2011, 04:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1877447"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol, 2 epic questions:

1- wtf is a machinima?

2- wtf is 6 sanji?

Ty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. A silly name for filming computer gameplay to make movies

2. A piece of NS2 'universe fiction'
    basically its a story line that explains a lot of stuff about how things work in ns2. But what i really want to know is it fan made or developer made? that way we can finish it and make a machinma on it! how cool would it be to release a machinma about that around the same time the game comes out? i dunno maybe not could be a while :p. But anyway i really want to do this now. also i could do voice as well.
    Actually using the Sanji story is not a bad idea...It could work.
  • SteinhauerSteinhauer Join Date: 2010-07-17 Member: 72493Members
    edited October 2011
    Especially since it's adapted to include the gamplay mechanics, such as medpacks falling out of the sky and developer console for chat history :P
    would be a good way of showing some of the classes too. as well as why some stuff exists.
    the problem here would be having someone make the map, do we know anyone who could do that?
    just bumping this thread i haven't heard from here in a while.