Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 closed beta released...and how we got here

Comments

• weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    sweet! does anybody want to make a 35 dollar donation for me haha!
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    weeschwee, you can preorder and start playing right now.
    They have this new promotion for the first 10,000 beta preorders, so I assume that you can have it. Previous orders are included, they opened this closed-beta for 10,000 more people. Eventually it will turn into open-beta for preorders, which means that everyone that preorder at any time will start playing. For now is limited to that amount of players (plus the previous pre-orders).

Did it make sense???
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Im going to try to get ingame..
    i think that makes sense
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    I actually managed to get ingame, to my amazement, and it was slightly playable (with about 6-8 players) until I build to many structures as commander (about 10 I'dd say) and the server crashed.
    I also had connection problems on my screen the entire time.

The game playability has gone from unplayable to horrible, so there is def some improvement but I'm going to wait for next patch to play more, I can't bear the lag..
    so if i preorder will the game show up in steam? or do i punch in a code or what?
  • MuhownageMuhownage Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75017Members
    you preorder and get a key per mail you can then activate @ steam
  • CloveClove Join Date: 2007-01-24 Member: 59739Members
    Have you guys considered selling war bonds?
  • oskurooskuro Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13232Members
    hope they receive enough orders to continue the development!!! buy the game!! i will in 2 weeks!! :)
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Holy crap! I gotta scrape together some money, stat!
    i'm a cheapskate with no reputation on this forum so i'll blatantly ask this. anyone want to buy the game for me? :) i missed out when it was $20 :(
  • oskurooskuro Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13232Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807075:date=Nov 19 2010, 06:17 PM:name=weeschwee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weeschwee @ Nov 19 2010, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm a cheapskate with no reputation on this forum so i'll blatantly ask this. anyone want to buy the game for me? :) i missed out when it was $20 :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

?? u dont have money? or what?? xDD

its very cheap man.... i pay in euros and it´s sooo cheap considering how good is this game and all the effort they make!
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Ouch ! What a lovely text :)
    Thank you all too
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bought 3 of my friends the SE for X-Mas last year :D
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807083:date=Nov 19 2010, 04:33 PM:name=oskuro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oskuro @ Nov 19 2010, 04:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->?? u dont have money? or what?? xDD

its very cheap man.... i pay in euros and it´s sooo cheap considering how good is this game and all the effort they make!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

every dollar helps when you're getting married in less than a year. i agree the price is worth it, but to be fair i put up a disclaimer that i'm a cheapskate haha
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    +1 Constie being brought back
    <!--quoteo(post=1807090:date=Nov 19 2010, 04:39 PM:name=BluePhish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BluePhish @ Nov 19 2010, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought 3 of my friends the SE for X-Mas last year :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i would now like to be your friend :D
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    I bought 3 also, one for each of the UW staff, nice speech flay

I've run three tech startups and sold two, and well know the pain of that development fatigue

Money does make it better though! Removes some life uncertainty from the stress equation.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Great work. Was finally able to get into a server to play around for a bit and it was awesome. Once you fix the connection error (why do I get a connection error when I try to create my own listen server?) and the unbearable lag after about 8 players, I can see the game coming together rather quickly.
  • throttlethrottle Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22776Members, Constellation
    OB post of congrats.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    woohoo!

See everyone on the fields of glorious death.
    bought game. hopefully i'll get that code. have to leave for work soon. :(
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    If you give us a great game, everybody pay with a smile.
    I realy hope it feels at the release like Natural Selection, because now its a bit weird, you feel so lost in the game, no minimap, no realy HUD elements and stuff.
    The Gorge can only build a Hydra Offensive chamber and no other chambers(?), the Flamer is like grenade launcher and heavy armor at one.
    Anyway LUA will allow us to create a classic mode, i hope!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Here here! Well said!
    <!--quoteo(post=1807115:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:35 AM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Nov 20 2010, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...and no other chambers(?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The old defensive chamber is now built by the alien commander (healing and armor upgrades).
    the commander can also build a "whip". some other offensive chamber wich has damage upgrades
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    haven't checked in in awhile. sorry, the new cod nazi zombies had me occupied and i was beating new vegas. this is great news! congratulations, the fade looks good!

i'll try to get back online and test again soon (and get back to work on my map)

~Tig
  • FragDoofusFragDoofus Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36115Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    Hi, my name is Braden Beer and I'm a long time NS player, Constellation Member, NS2 Collector's Edition Pre-Orderer and I'm here with some honest remarks.

Congratulations on the game. Really, it's already quite impressive, it being entirely your own technology. I am proud to continue to support NS, and have been loading up the game with each patch trying to play with the mindset that this is a privilege, and a responsibility.

So here are my thoughts:

Connection issues: It seems I can only connect to certain servers. What makes these servers special I have no clue. With most servers I receive the message: "Couldn't Establish a Connection with the Server." This includes creating my own game. I have however found that if I go into my Natural Selection 2 directory, and manually run the 'server' executable, I can then connect to that through the client. Another note, once I actually do get into a server (my own or otherwise) it always seems to firstly display that there are Connection Issues. I give it a few seconds, and it runs fine. It seems from your Facebook wall of posts that I am not alone in this, and perhaps you are already aware of the issue. I also tried to find the 'server.xml' that is created when I load up a server. I was actually unable to find this. If there is any more in depth guide on how to create and run a server other than what is provided in the DedicatedServerUsage text document, let me know. I would love to host a server to help beta test, but it seems I can't even figure out these simple things.

The Fade Blink Mechanic - This felt really natural, once I had done it a time or two. The only thing that seemed weird was the direction I came out facing on the other side of the blink appeared to be random. Perhaps this was just my own disorientation, but I think I was actually watching the fade model that you can place, to blink to, and expecting to face the direction that the fade model is facing, and felt like it wasn't working that way. Correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise this was a ton of fun.

Alien technology - It seems really confusing at this stage of the game. Every time I hopped in a hive to command, I didn't really understand what things like 'upgrade mass' meant. Perhaps I just haven't read enough of the blogs posts in their entirety or something, but I found it difficult to understand what outcomes my actions were causing. Finding hive locations to drop, and even resources at times was difficult. I see that there are white boxes on the minimap to indicate these locations, but I found it near impossible (through use of the minimap alone) to determine the difference between a harvester location and a hive location.

Flamethrower - This felt ridiculously powerful to me, from an alien perspective. If I got hit even once by a passing flamethrower shot as a fade, my entire vision was impaired making it near impossible to figure out how to escape the situation, leaving me to wallhumping while I was barbecued.

Beta Release - As someone who speaks from the pre-ordered perspective, I feel a little jipped, naturally, that the game didn't receive more polish before it actually went beta. I seriously said to myself when I saw the Joystiq story posted that unless the server issues were fixed, this was going to be a disaster. So the other night I loaded up the client, and tried to join some servers in the latest build, and discovered that the servers were actually more stable!... When I could connect to them. I do understand though, from your post, that financial reasons were also a factor. I have faith in UWE to release a completed project before the funds run dry. I remember when the pre-order was first offered, and the talk on the internet was all about how I could be throwing my money away, because the finished product was never really guaranteed, assuming the company went under. I was willing to accept that, and had faith in the ability of the team, which was founded on my love for NS1.

With all of that said, I want to say that I see a ton of fun 'potential' here. I can see a future where the servers don't lag, and this is actually an incredibly fun experience. Your work will pay off, and I'm excited to be a part of this experience.

On an unrelated side note: My brother purchased a copy of the collector's edition back on the last day it was available, however he never registered his key through Steam. He tried logging in to his Steam account the other day, and adding the game with the code provided in his email, and Steam says:
    "Please first active the original game
    The product code you've entered requires ownership of another product before activation.
    etc etc..."
    Does he need to be issued a new code, or what would be the procedure to follow to secure his pre-ordered copy of the game?

Thanks again for everything, and I look forward to your progress.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1807124:date=Nov 19 2010, 07:42 PM:name=FragDoofus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FragDoofus @ Nov 19 2010, 07:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have faith in UWE to release a completed project before the funds run dry. I remember when the pre-order was first offered, and the talk on the internet was all about how I could be throwing my money away, because the finished product was never really guaranteed, assuming the company went under. I was willing to accept that, and had faith in the ability of the team, which was founded on my love for NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well said, +1
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807124:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:42 AM:name=FragDoofus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FragDoofus @ Nov 20 2010, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Fade Blink Mechanic - This felt really natural, once I had done it a time or two. The only thing that seemed weird was the direction I came out facing on the other side of the blink appeared to be random. Perhaps this was just my own disorientation, but I think I was actually watching the fade model that you can place, to blink to, and expecting to face the direction that the fade model is facing, and felt like it wasn't working that way. Correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise this was a ton of fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Blink Direction you come out is the direction to the nearest Marine found. Or better it should be like that. Thats why you have weird Directions sometimes

<!--quoteo(post=1807124:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:42 AM:name=FragDoofus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FragDoofus @ Nov 20 2010, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On an unrelated side note: My brother purchased a copy of the collector's edition back on the last day it was available, however he never registered his key through Steam. He tried logging in to his Steam account the other day, and adding the game with the code provided in his email, and Steam says:
    "Please first active the original game
    The product code you've entered requires ownership of another product before activation.
    etc etc..."
    Does he need to be issued a new code, or what would be the procedure to follow to secure his pre-ordered copy of the game?

Thanks again for everything, and I look forward to your progress.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Key hes trying to active is the "alpha access" key. he firsts need to enter the normal NS2 Key. If he doesnt have the Key for some reason <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve</a> should help him.

if he then is still not able to register the key heres a topic with more information about it:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110620" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=110620</a>
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Braden: I know in an earlier version there was an issue where you couldn't connect to games, including your own, that was solved by opening up the windows task manager and ending the GameOverlay.exe process. It will start back up immediately, but it still fixed the issue.