Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Flamethrower

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Flamethrower here

Comments

• InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    Looking fancy but the fire effect seems unfinished.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800465:date=Oct 1 2010, 07:59 PM:name=Hoodedsniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoodedsniper @ Oct 1 2010, 07:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looking fancy but the fire effect seems unfinished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this.
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    edited October 2010
    Two words. Flamethrower Rush.

Oh and 3rd person model view wanted on reveals! :)
  • BluePhishBluePhish Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24364Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1800465:date=Oct 1 2010, 08:59 PM:name=Hoodedsniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hoodedsniper @ Oct 1 2010, 08:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800465"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looking fancy but the fire effect seems unfinished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1
  • LocaneLocane Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22882Members, Constellation
    Dude awesome. I love the sounds and the waving tentacle animation on the hive!

One gripe though:

The thing looks too unwieldly. It looks too forward heavy to be believable, like if I imagine holding it I can totally see my arm getting tired trying to keep the tip of it up.

If you want my advice, squish the trigger handle in a lot closer and put a handle on the diagonal side in the middle of it for the left hand to hold it up, so it looks more balanced.

Or you could do nothing and it would still be pretty awesome, just my 2 cents.
  • y3kflexoy3kflexo Join Date: 2003-04-04 Member: 15203Members, Constellation
    I think it looks awesome! thanks guys.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks really cool, definitely seems like an interesting new addition. Should be fun to test :)
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Looks pretty good. The flailing of the hive unnerves me...
  • DihardDihard Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10365Members, Constellation
    It's hard to tell as it's only used in an open space, but is it volumetric, as promised early on? I've been waiting forever for a volumetric flamethrower in NS.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    The lifeform reactions are great. Especially the wailing and the flailing of the hive. Took me a bit by surprise, I admit. Alive to the point of being creepy. Very nice.

The flame looks unfinished to me too. I didn't see the pilot light either.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looking fancy but the fire effect seems unfinished.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 (Should have some blue flame at the very tip of the flamethrower as well) I imagine it will take quite a while to build a really good looking particle effect for it.

I love how the room lights up when the hive is on fire.
  • HushHush Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72350Members
    Looks awesome! Can't want to torch some Xeno! :D
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    Firstly here are my critic comments which I feel the team should take notice of.

Firstly the flame effect needs some touch up.

Secondly I noticed that the hives tentacles flail through the ground.
    My advice is that you raise it up to a certain height.
    Not only does this look better.
    But it also forces the marines to raise their rifles, thus making it harder for them to fight off the ensuing Kharaa.
    This forces the Marines to band together and employ tactics for the majority of raids.
    Not only does this encourage teamwork, but it also gives the player a better, tenser, more epic time while playing.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your brilliant work!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1800474:date=Oct 1 2010, 07:16 PM:name=Dihard)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dihard @ Oct 1 2010, 07:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800474"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's hard to tell as it's only used in an open space, but is it volumetric, as promised early on?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, currently it is not volumetric. We still hope to have it be eventually, but there is just too many more important tasks to work on at the moment, and having a volumetric flame is far more trouble then its worth for now.

<!--quoteo(post=1800475:date=Oct 1 2010, 07:18 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Oct 1 2010, 07:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The flame looks unfinished to me too. I didn't see the pilot light either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The flame effects are a work in progress. We are still waiting on a few engine features that are needed for the particle effects, such as alpha sorting (there's not way to get nice black smoke and a flame with more volume to it otherwise). There is a pilot light, but it wasn't working when we made the video, and didn't realize it until afterwards.

-Cory
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    i adore the reactions of the buildings
  • HushHush Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72350Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800480:date=Oct 1 2010, 02:28 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Oct 1 2010, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i adore the reactions of the buildings<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. Hearing the Hive scream is a nice touch also.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1800480:date=Oct 1 2010, 03:28 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Oct 1 2010, 03:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800480"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i adore the reactions of the buildings<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it's creepy when the hive flips out like a squid. +1
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    Besides it's WIP state, the idea has come across well:

This weapon seems almost too mean to use!

(WIP = Work in progress)
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1800479:date=Oct 1 2010, 03:27 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 1 2010, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, currently it is not volumetric. We still hope to have it be eventually, but there is just too many more important tasks to work on at the moment, and having a volumetric flame is far more trouble then its worth for now.

The flame effects are a work in progress. We are still waiting on a few engine features that are needed for the particle effects, such as alpha sorting (there's not way to get nice black smoke and a flame with more volume to it otherwise). There is a pilot light, but it wasn't working when we made the video, and didn't realize it until afterwards.

-Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't shelve it, especially now since the flamethrower is going to be of such importance. Flayra said there wouldn't be a flamethrower unless it was volumetric, make it happen! :)
  • DihardDihard Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10365Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1800479:date=Oct 1 2010, 01:27 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Oct 1 2010, 01:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800479"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, currently it is not volumetric. We still hope to have it be eventually, but there is just too many more important tasks to work on at the moment, and having a volumetric flame is far more trouble then its worth for now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's what I had figured; I imagine that's a huge pain to implement, as AFAIK no other game has bothered. I'm still hoping that there will be time for it. Aside from that, it's looking good!
  • SinAngstSinAngst Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43460Members
    Awesome! Will the flailing structures damage enemies if they get too close?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2010
    I love what you are doing with the damage. Is that so you can give people more ammo so it does not run out so quickly, making it more useful for taking out Dynamic Infestation - that I am guessing it will be a lot more damaging to, and require you to spray round the room a lot. The ammo count didn't seem to drop down at all. If that is accurate, then I think this will be a really cool gun in the game.

I hate it when you have flamethrower in most games, because their damage seems linked to their ROF, so they tend to run out very quickly. It also means it is not too overpowering, so a skulk could probably get in there and do some damage.

P.s Good job on the Hive... no alien movie influence there what so ever ;) Creepy.
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    The animations look so sexy, want to play with it nows O':
  • GroxxGroxx Join Date: 2009-03-17 Member: 66789Members
    Animation-wise, I really think this needs less of a wild flail and more of an attempt to put the fire *out*. The resource building can roll around a bit, and the hive can try to beat the fire out. It would also serve to explain why the fire goes out of its own accord (if it does), and would point to a bit more intelligence in the buildings, which is clearly already there.
  • TheckTheck Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70611Members
    It would be great if the tentacles of the hive could know back enemies who are near it when it's on fire. Or easier to implement, do damage.
  • barbarossabarbarossa Join Date: 2003-10-25 Member: 21941Members, Constellation
    Oh god, the hive looks like Cthulhu when it catches fire! That's awesomly creepy!
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    Here's an idea for the alt-fire that worked so well in Alien Swarm: have the flamethrower alt-fire be an extinguisher. So if there is some friendly-fire you can then put it out. Or perform controlled burns on things in the map if such a thing were implemented.
  • katzenkorbanfasserkatzenkorbanfasser Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73224Members
    Can't wait to drive aliens up the pole with it. Will marines equipped with flamethrower get some helmet-addon for protection from fire?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Holy crap the hive being on fire looks like someone woke up cthulhu or something.

Honestly it looks a bit odd seeing the alien structures move that much, I always thought of them as being kinda like plants and not able to move much.

I'll probably get used to it though.