Remember Alien Swarm? It's back.

A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
I remember way back when, people were playing Alien Swarm and talked about the similarities to NS. Well Valve dug into their giant bag of surprises again with this one. <a href="http://store.steampowered.com/news/4081/" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/news/4081/</a>

Comments

• lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    The 19th of July? That's an odd date...
  • AnarkiThreeXSixAnarkiThreeXSix x_x Join Date: 2003-12-31 Member: 24894Members
    Oh man, I can't believe this game is finally coming out..
    I do too remember those good old days back when a ton of the ns community was playing the original.

Since it's free hopefully it'll give everyone some good game time before ns2 and sc2.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779772:date=Jul 16 2010, 01:38 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 16 2010, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The 19th of July? That's an odd date...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a Monday. The numbers, they mean nothing.
    Hell, it's free. Of course I'll at least try it. For some reason I never got to try the original in multiplayer (I think I didn't have net at the time?), and the bots were too useless to make singleplayer playable.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Oh boy I can't wait to get shotgun'd in the back by Gem due to random character assignment again!

Seriously though, that was a fun mod, we should definitely set something up.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    The game looks a little like that old game Incubation. God that was fun. Does it play anything like that, at least conceptually?

If not... does anyone know of any more modern games that have <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubation_%28computer_game%29" target="_blank">Incubation</a> like gameplay?
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1779922:date=Jul 17 2010, 03:01 AM:name=NeonSpyder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeonSpyder @ Jul 17 2010, 03:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game looks a little like that old game Incubation. God that was fun. Does it play anything like that, at least conceptually?

If not... does anyone know of any more modern games that have <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incubation_%28computer_game%29" target="_blank">Incubation</a> like gameplay?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Incubuation was turn based, iirc and alien swarm is real time. So they play nothing alike.

Ufo: Extraterestrials or Fallout Tactics might by to your liking.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Wow, I thought that mod was long dead. Good for them to get picked up by Valve.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    This is <i>awesome</i> news. I never really got to play it when it was in its heyday, and it'll make the PERFECT lunchtime game at work (assuming the matches are 40 minutes or shorter).
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    I was seriously disappointed when news stopped coming out of the Black Cat team about the source version of their game, as the UT version was incredibly awesome. This is awesome news, and I'm very excited to be checking it out on monday! I may have to take an extended lunchbreak lol
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779865:date=Jul 16 2010, 11:41 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Jul 16 2010, 11:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779865"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh boy I can't wait to get shotgun'd in the back by Gem due to random character assignment again!

Seriously though, that was a fun mod, we should definitely set something up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That wasn't random, you picked her despite me warning you not to :p

I expect I'll be mowing down a lot of other people who defy my character choices before the 19th is through XD
    I'm surprised, Gem. That's kind of like upending the parcheesi board because you wanted the blue pieces, isn't it? Bit juvenile.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Maybe not, trailer suggests characters are just brightly coloured suits this time around.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780208:date=Jul 17 2010, 05:09 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 17 2010, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm surprised, Gem. That's kind of like upending the parcheesi board because you wanted the blue pieces, isn't it? Bit juvenile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And I had Gem fingered for the most mature among us. Go figure.

I'm excited to play this because I like free things. And I always like to see what people do with the Source engine, even though I'm not a huge fan of the engine.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Just think, someone could make a Warhammer 40k Space Hulk mod. It would be *amazing*
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    This looks almost identical to the Alien Breed game o.O
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1780330:date=Jul 18 2010, 11:27 AM:name=Sonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sonic @ Jul 18 2010, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780330"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just think, someone could make a Warhammer 40k Space Hulk mod. It would be *amazing*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pff,

even a WH40K mod for "Barbies Pony Farm" would be amazing. So that clearly does not count!
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780357:date=Jul 18 2010, 11:35 AM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faskalia @ Jul 18 2010, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pff,

even a WH40K mod for "Barbies Pony Farm" would be amazing. So that clearly does not count!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes it does you godamn heretic. Terminators + Gene Stealers + tile based random map generation = awesome.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    i still have the alien swarm mod for unreal installed because i havent heard anything since 2007 from those guys..i thought it died when they tried to port over to source....
    i was checking out alien breed, but i dunno if i gonna buy it ...klunky controls, the old amiga alien breed played better..and the aliens looked kinda like xenomorphs ..lol
    the alien breed demo was kinda fun, the coop videos look nice, but i cought myself tripping over the stupid controlls ..like.. losing control when it gets really busy on the screen, its not realy intuitive, alien swarm did it better, also you got way less ammo in alien swarm, and its heavily teamplay based, with more than 2 players.... wait.. wut?

<!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->

OMFG! I JUST READ ALIEN SWARM WILL BE RELEASED FOR FREE?! 8D<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780208:date=Jul 17 2010, 11:09 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jul 17 2010, 11:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm surprised, Gem. That's kind of like upending the parcheesi board because you wanted the blue pieces, isn't it? Bit juvenile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1780227:date=Jul 18 2010, 12:31 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 18 2010, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And I had Gem fingered for the most mature among us. Go figure.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Everything's dandy until it comes to choosing a representative :3
    Blue pieces? bleh... it's all about purple/pink/red. Not too fussed about abstract stuff like colours though, it's more about characters. I've never understood the games that only let one person pick a character anyway... they never tend to be particularly story-based so it doesn't make much sense.

Seriously though, I like to think I'm easy-going, fair and fun loving. In most games I'll try to make sure everyone is having fun and that the rules are followed in the most balanced manner. It's just when you pick a character I want and none of the others appeal to me that you'll find yourself being hunted down at the cost of all else, with the sole goal of ruining your gaming experience until you give them back or quit the game :p
    In-game it was just funny, but when you put it on paper like that it does sound silly...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    I saw some guy getting killed by a door in this game... Onos crashing trough a door and squashing a marine on the other side is all sorts of fun XD

Here it is, somewhere around the third sceneswtichbattlethingy...

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7J87wnq16E"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7J87wnq16E" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    <div align='center'><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7J87wnq16E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7J87wnq16E</a></div>
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1780467:date=Jul 18 2010, 07:53 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jul 18 2010, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780467"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I saw some guy getting killed by a door in this game... Onos crashing trough a door and squashing a marine on the other side is all sorts of fun XD

Here it is, somewhere around the third sceneswtichbattlethingy...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol. This game looks pretty good. Does it compare to NS2 at all?

And the guy got crushed by the door at ~1:02.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    Well here's a guessing game :P

<ul><li><b>Natural Selection 2</b>
    <ul><li>RTS commander mode, builds buildings and selects upgrades and keeps the boys on the ground happy with medkits and ammo, with lot's of players in big dedicated servers. I have no idea what the alien hive mind is going to be like.</li><li>Aliens are tactical beasts with a human mind behind them, don't expect mindless swarming all that often (ambushing rules)</li><li>Shootn' is in first person</li><li>Dynamic Infestation</li></ul></li><li><b>Alien Swarm</b>
    <ul><li>No RTS mode as it is all out war with up to four players in coop or singleplayer</li><li>Aliens are swarming beasts with AI behind them and they come indeed in hordes of em from what I've seen in the vids</li><li>Shootn' is in topdown first gen GTA view, with a current gen or patched up engine backing it up :P</li><li>Indeed...</li></ul></li></ul>
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Not to mention Alien Swarm is a 4 player coop game with no resource collection or area control or tech tree management.

Frankly all that they have in common is marines and aliens fighting.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1780565:date=Jul 19 2010, 01:45 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 19 2010, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to mention Alien Swarm is a 4 player coop game with no resource collection or area control or tech tree management.

Frankly all that they have in common is marines and aliens fighting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Total ripoff of that film.

You know the one I mean. It's called "Starship Troopers".
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2010
    Ugh divine intervention. Something to do while we standard pre-orderers wait to play the beta.

Meanwhile some devs will ::facepalm:: because the presence of this game is a distraction that pulls about 80% of the community off of the forums to play... and who knows how that will affect SE sales lol.

<!--quoteo(post=1780565:date=Jul 18 2010, 08:45 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 18 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to mention Alien Swarm is a 4 player coop game with no resource collection or area control or tech tree management.

Frankly all that they have in common is <u>marines and aliens fighting</u>.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We shouldn't bad mouth this game, because you just described CO more or less (where 90% of the NS1 community is playing CO right now xD).
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1780585:date=Jul 19 2010, 11:53 AM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Jul 19 2010, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Total ripoff of that film.

You know the one I mean. It's called "Starship Troopers".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

because starship troopers was indoors <.<
    its more like aliens , except that you are not trying to escape have to go in, plow your way through hordes of aliens, and do objectives.. (this sounds also a bit like space hulk) you get sentry guns and tesla coils and whatever to build your defenses, because sometimes you have to hold an area for quite some time so your engineer can perform his tasks.. so it has a little bit of area control.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i dont understand why this game is free - what's the catch? what would be the benefit of a free game to valve?
    Goodwill, more people using Steam.