windows 7 upgrade grief

BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">NS wont work with windows 7 :'(</div>so i recently upgraded to windows 7.

i've installed every other game i used to play and after a bit of tinkering they work fine. even HL2 mods.

but for some reason NS won't work properly. not sure if its because its a HL1 mod,...

i can get the lowest res working, but wether i chose direct3d or openGL in a higher res it crashes and makes me use software mode.

in software mode the commander options are black and it makes it almost impossible to drop structures, equipment etc.

not to mention software mode looks disgusting...

can anyone help me?

Comments

• a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    Try cl_gammaramp 0. Disables NS's gamma ramp, which is known to cause problems in newer operating systems.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I (as well as I'm sure many others on this board) have been using Windows 7 and playing NS without any problems. I even had Windows Vista and had no problems there. So what I'm saying here is that I doubt it is the operating system's fault.

The problems you are having could be due to your graphics card's drivers. Maybe since you only recently upgraded to Windows 7 it could have slipped your mind to install the newest version. And after doing that I would probably also make sure to check Windows Update. Compatibility, security, and performance related updates are commonly released through there and that could be a big help to your problem.
  • BuzzouBuzzou Join Date: 2006-12-14 Member: 59056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1762547:date=Apr 3 2010, 05:07 PM:name=a_civilian)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (a_civilian @ Apr 3 2010, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try cl_gammaramp 0. Disables NS's gamma ramp, which is known to cause problems in newer operating systems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thanks heaps, its working perfectly now.

<!--quoteo(post=1762599:date=Apr 4 2010, 03:18 AM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Apr 4 2010, 03:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1762599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problems you are having could be due to your graphics card's drivers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah i thought that was the problem at first, but it still wouldnt work after i installed the latest drivers. thanks for your feedback anyway :)