Natural Selection 2 News Update - Developer Resources Area

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - Developer Resources Area here

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Kind of missed point here, how does this help NS2 should we decide to do something for it?
  • Termy58Termy58 Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58102Members
    edited December 2009
    Great to see NS2 supporting other indies out there! I looked around at the source and I'm impressed

<!--quoteo(post=1744856:date=Dec 25 2009, 11:24 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Dec 25 2009, 11:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kind of missed point here, how does this help NS2 should we decide to do something for it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is a website where they can release libraries made by Unknown Worlds too other indie developers.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1744856:date=Dec 25 2009, 06:24 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Dec 25 2009, 06:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kind of missed point here, how does this help NS2 should we decide to do something for it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So you expect Lua developers to simply guess at NS2's API?
    I'm sure many of those anticipating mods for Lua will welcome this necessary step (myself included)
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744856:date=Dec 25 2009, 05:24 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Dec 25 2009, 05:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kind of missed point here, how does this help NS2 should we decide to do something for it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As far as I can tell it doesn't, they're just being nice, giving open-source developers on Christmas day. 'Tis the season and whatnot :P
  • Termy58Termy58 Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58102Members
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1744858:date=Dec 26 2009, 12:09 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Dec 26 2009, 12:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you expect Lua developers to simply guess at NS2's API?
    I'm sure many of those anticipating mods for Lua will welcome this necessary step (myself included)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This has nothing to do with Lua, you guys are missing the point. This website is for indie developers not Lua developers of NS2
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    edited December 2009
    Nice to see the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/developer/updater" target="_blank">updater</a> released. I know many OSX applications use <a href="http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/" target="_blank">Sparkle</a> to update programs. It would be nice to see more Windows programs use a common updater framework.
  • James1coolJames1cool Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43883Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    nice , but again wer is the game already ???, i am all for the mapping tools but a game to play them would be nice. when can execpt a update on that ??
  • HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    Patience. The game will come. Give Charlie time to blow our socks off.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    Swell.

So, I gather you guys liked the general idea behind Steamworks?
  • DeeDee Canada Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10836Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really like the idea of you guys giving components back to the community. Very nice to see, keep it up!
  • AlaskaAlaska Join Date: 2006-10-11 Member: 58067Members
    How could someone not simply love you, guys?

I hope your style of releasing and publishing your work will spread more in the world of videogames.
    There should be way more developers publishing SDKs, code parts, libaries and tools. Everybody would benefit.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744864:date=Dec 25 2009, 08:32 PM:name=James1cool)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (James1cool @ Dec 25 2009, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nice , but again wer is the game already ???, i am all for the mapping tools but a game to play them would be nice. when can execpt a update on that ??<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's in their right not to release the game if it isn't fairly in a playable state enough to be so. It would sure be nice to move around with the marine in our levels but then what?

I'm sure there is far more work done than we might think of (including me) and I'd say that I like the surprise effect myself so just be patient on your side.

:D
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Thank you, Max! Will totally use this in a mod for another game :)
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    Hey, Thanks Guys!

I may incorporate the Updater into my own engine at some point.

Any chance you'll release your implementation of the Lua stack and how you tie Lua scripts into your actual engine? I've been working on that myself but eventually got tied up with the logical borders between the Lua-implemented scripts versus the Engine-implemented scripts and decided to post-pone implementation of Lua scripting until I figured out the implementation details. I think its awesome that you've started that site :)

Merry Christmas.

Edit: Icons added now. Neat!
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Nice of you to do this!

I noticed this in the updater library page:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Updater Library is <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->the the<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> library <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->we for<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> to provide automatic updates to users of all of our applications.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Major kudos for the open source release of the updater.

I notice there isn't any type of cryptographic validation of the sources, is this something you plan on adding?
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Totally didn't notice the site update until I saw this forum thread...usually there's a twitter post to go along with it.

Very cool update, it's awesome that you guys are being so open with the community. Hope you all have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    great, but under which license are they released?!

gpl pls!
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1744920:date=Dec 26 2009, 02:44 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Dec 26 2009, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744920"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->great, but under which license are they released?!

gpl pls!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=From Developer Resources Website, Downloads tab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (From Developer Resources Website, Downloads tab)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All of the downloads below are released under the <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/BSD/" target="_blank">BSD License</a>. You may use these downloads as part of your own commercial, non-commercial and personal projects.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    QUOTE (From Developer Resources Website, Downloads tab)

i dont see it o.O
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/developer/download/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/developer/download/</a>

It shows up on IE8 and Firefox at least.
  • GutterGutter Join Date: 2003-11-02 Member: 22235Members, Constellation
    I hope this isn't taking time away from the game. It seems as though it would be a better idea to release things like this after the game is released that way everything is in a more complete form. I can understand spending time on the editor, but not so much this. At least not in this stage.
  • AlaskaAlaska Join Date: 2006-10-11 Member: 58067Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1744959:date=Dec 27 2009, 11:04 AM:name=Gutter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gutter @ Dec 27 2009, 11:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope this isn't taking time away from the game. It seems as though it would be a better idea to release things like this after the game is released that way everything is in a more complete form. I can understand spending time on the editor, but not so much this. At least not in this stage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i love all those expert projectmanagers here on the forums... It's like germans watching soccer-matches: everybody sitting on their couch knowing everything better than the players, trainers, managers or referee.

Start your own project, do better, then start constructive criticism.

I love this style of working - not simply rushing forward to release something they could call a game - they work the style they want other developers to work. And it is good that way.
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    edited December 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1744864:date=Dec 26 2009, 01:32 AM:name=James1cool)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (James1cool @ Dec 26 2009, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nice , but again wer is the game already ???, i am all for the mapping tools but a game to play them would be nice. when can execpt a update on that ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Releasing these tools and files represents virtually no time taken away from developing the game. Remember, these are programs or elements of programs they've <i>already</i> made to help them create and maintain the game; all they're really doing is uploading these things to be shared globally via free download.

It's just a small yet goodwill gesture in time for the goodwill season. Updates on the game will come when they're ready. Overall, it actually harms PR to show off game elements before they are of a shippable quality, so just wait until they're ready to reveal the next asset/feature.
  • bassportbassport Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25656Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1744984:date=Dec 27 2009, 06:16 PM:name=Crispy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispy @ Dec 27 2009, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1744984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Releasing these tools and files represents virtually no time taken away from developing the game. Remember, these are programs or elements of programs they've <i>already</i> made to help them create and maintain the game; all they're really doing is uploading these things to be shared globally via free download.

It's just a small yet goodwill gesture in time for the goodwill season. Updates on the game will come when they're ready. Overall, it actually harms PR to show off game elements before they are of a shippable quality, so just wait until they're ready to reveal the next asset/feature.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT!
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    Does this mean Spark will no longer Auto-Update?
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1745136:date=Dec 30 2009, 11:25 AM:name=PsympleJester)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsympleJester @ Dec 30 2009, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does this mean Spark will no longer Auto-Update?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it doesn't.
  • PopenatorPopenator Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68617Members
    edited December 2009
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->void SelfDestruct()<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Note: Do not hire for construction of death star.

Also: I find the use of void in this context amusing.
  • wackowacko Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8283Members
    edited December 2009
    for you windows 7 folks that run into compile issue you need to change the top of System.cpp to the following:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->#ifndef IID_PPV_ARGS
    template<typename T> void** IID_PPV_ARGS_Helper(T** pp)
    {
        // make sure everyone derives from IUnknown
        static_cast<IUnknown*>(*pp);
        return reinterpret_cast<void**>(pp);
    }

#define IID_PPV_ARGS(ppType) __uuidof(**(ppType)), IID_PPV_ARGS_Helper(ppType)
    #endif<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

also in UpdaterImpl.cpp line: 606 need to be changed to

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->#ifndef BCM_SETSHIELD
            const UINT BCM_SETSHIELD = 0x0000160C;
    #endif<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

BCM_SETSHIELD is defined in Windows 7
  • wackowacko Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8283Members
    Also is there a reason why in UpdateLibrary.rc we #undef _DEBUG? this makes building in debug kinda a pain in the ass :) since it will not find the release setup.exe which seems well wrong anyways.