Can't see the black marine armour being worn a lot after release week

SeikedenSeikeden Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5443Members
edited July 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
Won't it be like a big "bite me" sign over your head?

I know I like to go for the most dangerous/experienced marine in a group first ;)

Comments

• IronFistIronFist Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58805Members
    edited July 2009
    I'm afraid this'll become an issue of black people versus green people. They'll naturally gravitate to pools of their own kind, building a two-faced dynamic into the marine team that works against it. Desegregation tech upgrades will be due in no time.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I'll be wearing it all the time when I'm gaming :)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716943:date=Jul 12 2009, 04:43 PM:name=IronFist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IronFist @ Jul 12 2009, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm afraid this'll become an issue of black people versus green people. They'll naturally gravitate to pools of their own kind, building a two-faced dynamic into the marine team that works against it. Desegregation tech upgrades will be due in no time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Talk about fear-mongering. You're blowing things <b>WAY</b> out of proportion.
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    You can't deny some will be elitist over the black armour, however I have a good feeling that most people that have bought the special edition are the same sort of people that were the first to help those who weren't as used to the game, rather than to try to shun them.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I can see a new kind of constie stack, if you can see the black armor in the ready room :D
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716953:date=Jul 12 2009, 07:55 AM:name=niaccurshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (niaccurshi @ Jul 12 2009, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716953"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can't deny some will be elitist over the black armour, however I have a good feeling that most people that have bought the special edition are the same sort of people that were the first to help those who weren't as used to the game, rather than to try to shun them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't understand why people cry "elitism" all the time. If someone you feel is being "elitist" and you do not enjoy playing with that individual, I recommend playing on a different server.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716949:date=Jul 12 2009, 01:41 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Jul 12 2009, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Talk about fear-mongering. You're blowing things <b>WAY</b> out of proportion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think he wasn't entirely serious.

And I don't share these concerns, you can't always take out a specific marine.
    Most of the time you have to go for the one with the best weapon or simply the closest one.
  • AvataAvata Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67477Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1716956:date=Jul 12 2009, 07:46 AM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Jul 12 2009, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why people cry "elitism" all the time. If someone you feel is being "elitist" and you do not enjoy playing with that individual, I recommend playing on a different server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ... Which isn't unlike the jews leaving town when the Nazi's moved in.

Fascism should never be allowed to prosper.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Oh no, he didn't!?
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
  • The_Real_QuasarThe_Real_Quasar Has the I.Q. of 12,000 P.E. Teachers Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9998Members
    I think there's a bit of a difference in severity between one team winning in NS and the holocaust.

I'm assuming there'll be some kind of choice given, I know i'll probably end up wearing mine most of the time as I enjoy feeling special.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716959:date=Jul 12 2009, 09:24 AM:name=Avata)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avata @ Jul 12 2009, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716959"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... Which isn't unlike the jews leaving town when the Nazi's moved in.

Fascism should never be allowed to prosper.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The best part is that he's serious.
  • The_Real_QuasarThe_Real_Quasar Has the I.Q. of 12,000 P.E. Teachers Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9998Members
    edited July 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1716984:date=Jul 12 2009, 04:43 PM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Jul 12 2009, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The best part is that he's serious.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really do hope not...
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2009
    I decided to get the Black one simply for gameplay reasons. I do not expect all rooms fully lit and if noone suspects a "shadow marine" in a corner, they wont use the flashlight.

That's the reason I'll wear it all the Time. Even if it proves to be useless.
  • SkydancerSkydancer Join Date: 2003-03-28 Member: 14959Members, Constellation
    A shadow marine? Odds are that aliens will get some kind of night vision since otherwise a black armor could be quite an advantage to marines.
    <!--quoteo(post=1716982:date=Jul 12 2009, 10:38 AM:name=The_Real_Quasar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Real_Quasar @ Jul 12 2009, 10:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716982"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think there's a bit of a difference in severity between one team winning in NS and the holocaust.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of course there is. Point I'm making is that if a person sees injustice he should "have a cry" about it, and people should listen.

If people listen then decide he's just being a whiney ######, that's a different matter.
    <!--quoteo(post=1717004:date=Jul 12 2009, 02:58 PM:name=Skydancer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skydancer @ Jul 12 2009, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A shadow marine? Odds are that aliens will get some kind of night vision since otherwise a black armor could be quite an advantage to marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the aliens (skulks at least) should have a life-force sense like the aliens in AvP. An aura around marines that can be seen through dark and fog. It's then in the marines best interest to get rid of dark and fog, and in the aliens best interest to cultivate dark and fog
    edited July 2009
    Please Delete - Double post sorry
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
    I got the green armor... i look forward to it actually for reasons stated above. Black armor is a big "bite me" sign. It will be funny that it's black because it's always the black guy that dies first in a SciFi movie... so we (the cool elite veterans, from NS1, in green elite marine armor) will have our sides hurting from laughter every time the one black guy in our rambo-hunter-rt_builder-search-party gets killed first. xD. I wish the game would let the other green marines piss on his nub black armored body as we leave it like the o-so-many spent bullet casings.

I think we'll see that all the smart players are green (for not wasting their money on a game that doesn't exist :P) and all the players that bought the black armor are the same players that stack aliens every single game in NS1 now and just wanted to donate their money to the devs... therefore you wont see many black marines. If we do then we will ridicule them to the point that they uninstall.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Excuse me ? Hive Sight highlights marines since 2.0 (I think) so I see no reason NS2 would be any different.
  • Lumberjack_WannabeLumberjack_Wannabe Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14404Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1716978:date=Jul 12 2009, 11:12 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Jul 12 2009, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->GODWINS LAW!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol... I haven't seen it happen in a while...
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited July 2009
    They should of just made it where you can have access to a special preorder-only gun... then everyone would of gotten the super elite black vista ultimate version. Overall i think anyone that bought the black one just did so on impulse.

Also the "gift" of black armor doesn't make any sense... i.e. your not getting anything of worth (don't you just get the impression that NS2 will be nerfed to hell for the marines... i mean even their perk/bonus is pathetic :P) . The style of NS1 mapping has always been ultra bright maps with gigantic rooms with perfectly flat walls and you will see this in NS2 because custom maps always will outnumber and outplay the stock maps (think... would you like to play cerbsiege | biosiege | supersiege or would you rather play ns_hera...

Also a black player will stand out a bit more then the pastel shades in the "green" armor (which isn't entirely green)... just look at the picture at the top of this webpage... the surroundings are made of the same colors as the "green" marines! If they weren't then their would be a style conflict with the game where the marines would never feel like they belong in the game. Instead they would heavily contrast with the game... that is black armor.

It's gonna be epic fail... i look forward to the ingame discussions over its uselessness :P

Maybe they should give the blackies some hand held motion trackers... then still... it will be OPERATION: GET BEHIND THE BLACKIES :P ... the commander would insist that at least 1 blackie goes with each marine hunter party for the perk of shared motion tracking when standing in their epic presence :P
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    FocusedWolf, the black people always die first :P

Anyways, I'll still prolly roll out with the black armor. Regardless of visibility.

Plus at the launch, most people will have black armor so we wouldn't feel any less threatened than our teammates.
    Comm will send black armored marines into alien territoy first.
    Operation Human Shield is always succesful
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1717089:date=Jul 12 2009, 11:21 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 12 2009, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717089"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Comm will send black armored marines into alien territoy first.
    Operation Human Shield is always succesful<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

haha
  • AlaskaAlaska Join Date: 2006-10-11 Member: 58067Members
    there is no difference in gameplay between green and black armor - with hivesight the color won't be in any way relevant.

I bought SE because i want to have the tools and alpha. Also i want to support UWE.

But I'm really, really happy that FocusedWolf didn't buy SE. That way i won't have to endure him in alpha and i hope there will be a siege-map at release-time so i will never have to play on the same server with people like him ^^
  • TrubodasleikjarinnTrubodasleikjarinn Join Date: 2004-05-28 Member: 28967Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717080:date=Jul 12 2009, 10:14 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 12 2009, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should of just made it where you can have access to a special preorder-only gun... then everyone would of gotten the super elite black vista ultimate version. Overall i think anyone that bought the black one just did so on impulse.

Also the "gift" of black armor doesn't make any sense... i.e. your not getting anything of worth (don't you just get the impression that NS2 will be nerfed to hell for the marines... i mean even their perk/bonus is pathetic :P) . The style of NS1 mapping has always been ultra bright maps with gigantic rooms with perfectly flat walls and you will see this in NS2 because custom maps always will outnumber and outplay the stock maps (think... would you like to play cerbsiege | biosiege | supersiege or would you rather play ns_hera...

Also a black player will stand out a bit more then the pastel shades in the "green" armor (which isn't entirely green)... just look at the picture at the top of this webpage... the surroundings are made of the same colors as the "green" marines! If they weren't then their would be a style conflict with the game where the marines would never feel like they belong in the game. Instead they would heavily contrast with the game... that is black armor.

It's gonna be epic fail... i look forward to the ingame discussions over its uselessness :P

Maybe they should give the blackies some hand held motion trackers... then still... it will be OPERATION: GET BEHIND THE BLACKIES :P ... the commander would insist that at least 1 blackie goes with each marine hunter party for the perk of shared motion tracking when standing in their epic presence :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How can you know all this ? Have you played NS 2 and seen the maps ? You are just making blind assumptions about NS 2 based on pure speculation.

On the subject of "buying the black armor on impulse" I for one did not buy black armor, I bought the SE edition both to support UW and to get alpha access. Personally I don't give a damn about the black armor's "usefulness". In fact I would never want to see some kind of "exclusive" weapons or equipment given only to those who payed extra for the game. A black skin on the armor is one thing, but different weapons is something else...
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1717118:date=Jul 13 2009, 12:03 PM:name=Trubodasleikjarinn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trubodasleikjarinn @ Jul 13 2009, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1717118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How can you know all this ? Have you played NS 2 and seen the maps ? You are just making blind assumptions about NS 2 based on pure speculation.

On the subject of "buying the black armor on impulse" I for one did not buy black armor, I bought the SE edition both to support UW and to get alpha access. Personally I don't give a damn about the black armor's "usefulness". In fact I would never want to see some kind of "exclusive" weapons or equipment given only to those who payed extra for the game. A black skin on the armor is one thing, but different weapons is something else...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think that's a joke, and that it's from a movie. I can't remember which one though. Probably Mel Brooks.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1716956:date=Jul 12 2009, 07:46 AM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Jul 12 2009, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1716956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why people cry "elitism" all the time. If someone you feel is being "elitist" and you do not enjoy playing with that individual, I recommend playing on a different server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, it did happen to a small degree in NS1 with Constellation. It was rare, but you'd occasionally run into a player with the Constellation icon that felt they should get the Comm chair be default or acted like a pompous ass.

The community generally self-policed itself however, and jackass' like that were rare.

You'll likely get the same thing with Black Armor, with the same overall results. There's no way to avoid it, there will always be ######s online.
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    "I don't understand why people cry "elitism" all the time. If someone you feel is being "elitist" and you do not enjoy playing with that individual, I recommend playing on a different server." - Firewater

I don't either, but then I assume it's off of the rare experiences they had with a severe minority. My point was that elitism will exist, because jerks exist, and perceived elitism will exist because...well...sometimes people that are good at games and know each other like to work together once in a while. The main gist of what I was saying, though, was that by and large I saw constellation members (myself included) as being generally helpful to new players, and I've not really seen a game since NS where people make as much of an effort to "even the teams" in terms of skill.
This discussion has been closed.