Gorge : The Guide

1235»

Comments

• tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Oh my, old old post.
  • ChocolateChocolate The Team Mascot Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58123Members
    I miss the days of v1.04 (don't let my join date fool you). I particuarily miss the OC's being very feared, blabbers and all the old attacks (bile fades hurting marines), easier alien stacking chambers and marines stacking buildings and teamwork being much more needed then now-a-days. Those old, missed things made for some long, fun and quite.... unique matches.
  • drunkPlayerdrunkPlayer Join Date: 2006-12-24 Member: 59222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1593689:date=Jan 1 2007, 07:14 AM:name=Chocolate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chocolate @ Jan 1 2007, 07:14 AM) [snapback]1593689[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I miss the days of v1.04 (don't let my join date fool you). I particuarily miss the OC's being very feared, blabbers and all the old attacks (bile fades hurting marines), easier alien stacking chambers and marines stacking buildings and teamwork being much more needed then now-a-days. Those old, missed things made for some long, fun and quite.... unique matches.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thats true man, I also re-joined again after starting playing the first 1.0 versions and I miss the 3-4 hours games were u could kill a thousand times someone. They were exhausting, but when you won one of those you really felt happy. And I wasnt even playing in a clan.
  • SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
    OC bases are more difficult to maintain.

So at the beginning, you would go to a choke point and lay an OC. You have to hope you can last until you can drop a MC. Once that MC is down, you should get celerity for the gorge. Then you drop the 2nd OC. All you need to do is heal.

What this does is it helps aliens keep territory for the time being, well until GLs arrive. True, that's forty res, but it's worth it if you can hold off marines from res nodes and lockdowns.
  • UnderwhelmedUnderwhelmed DemoDetective #?&#33; Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58026Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1619147:date=Apr 5 2007, 02:10 PM:name=SmoodCroozn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SmoodCroozn @ Apr 5 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]1619147[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    OC bases are more difficult to maintain.

So at the beginning, you would go to a choke point and lay an OC. You have to hope you can last until you can drop a MC. Once that MC is down, you should get celerity for the gorge. Then you drop the 2nd OC. All you need to do is heal.

What this does is it helps aliens keep territory for the time being, well until GLs arrive. True, that's forty res, but it's worth it if you can hold off marines from res nodes and lockdowns.
    40 Res spent on an emplacement that can be taken down by two vanilla marines is not a good investment.
  • TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1619242:date=Apr 6 2007, 01:42 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Underwhelmed @ Apr 6 2007, 01:42 AM) [snapback]1619242[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    40 Res spent on an emplacement that can be taken down by two vanilla marines is not a good investment.

don't tell him its what makes playing marines on g4b2s so fun
  • SmoodCrooznSmoodCroozn Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22310Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1619242:date=Apr 6 2007, 12:42 AM:name=Underwhelmed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Underwhelmed @ Apr 6 2007, 12:42 AM) [snapback]1619242[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Well, you are going to spend 10 res to gorge and another 10 to drop a movement anyway. So that would be as if someone dropped an early mc.

But then you could spend 10 or 20 more res on the OCs to hold an area.

Sometimes this is the only way to hold vital areas like cold turn in ayumi or cargo in tanith.
  • Kombin3Kombin3 Join Date: 2007-03-07 Member: 60281Members
    Bump! I demand updated guide on GORGES! Because their gorgtastic. Know how long it took me to find out with a babbler is and all the possible memories i missed out because i started after they removed them?

I just about cried. I hope you know that! I Just about CRIED. Babblers...-sigh- i miss them and never even knew them. Anyway. UPDATE PLEASE Ill pay you....with the laugh of a friend?
  • ChocolateChocolate The Team Mascot Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58123Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1641127:date=Jul 28 2007, 07:45 PM:name=Kombin3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kombin3 @ Jul 28 2007, 07:45 PM) [snapback]1641127[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Bump! I demand updated guide on GORGES! Because their gorgtastic. Know how long it took me to find out with a babbler is and all the possible memories i missed out because i started after they removed them?

I just about cried. I hope you know that! I Just about CRIED. Babblers...-sigh- i miss them and never even knew them. Anyway. UPDATE PLEASE Ill pay you....with the laugh of a friend?
    I agree, and I give this man a virtual cookie

On a serious note:
    To start off, here is my top 3 tips on gorging. <ul><li><b>Stay Alive.</b> The more you die the more res you waste, and that res can add up in large matches. </li><li><b>Think.</b> Think before you drop a chamber. Will it be worth the investment where you put it or will the chamber die within a minute or two?</li><li><b>Support.</b> Try and get to the front lines and support your fellow Kharaa. Maybe the Fades need healing or the sieges need to be biled? You could even serve as bait for lone marines, giving the Skulks easy kills.</li></ul>I would also advise reading my <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?s=234341430296981792&showtopic=101239" target="_blank">Guide to Dropping Chambers</a>, which is still in progress.
  • asmodeeasmodee Join Date: 2007-06-20 Member: 61317Members, Constellation
    I only have 4 tips right now.

1. Build chambers in smart locations - Build in vents and other areas strategically placed throughout a map that are not easily killed (basically in vents that are near places aliens will be fighting for). A great example is the vent near fusion hive in ns_tanith. No matter what your first hive is, you can be sure a chamber in that vent will be useful to lerks and fades no matter what that chamber is (mc/sc/dc). A celerity lerk/fade could always use an mc near by to keep up the pressure. SC for cloaking skulks in cargo, and dc for healing without requiring a gorge (like when fusion isn't your first hive and it's not up yet).

2. Do not build chambers directly under the hive - If you build them in the hive room, try to put them as far away from the seige spots as possible. It sucks to lose your chambers right when a seige starts firing, so put them back so at least you have your full chambers while fighting for your hive.

3. Use yourself as bait - Marines often think gorges are easy kill. And many (pub) marines will fall for the bait. Heal yourself for no reason right around a corner so a marine looks. Make sure he sees you and starts running. Bhop back around the corner (to avoid getting shot a few times). The marine will empty quite a bit of his ammo while chasing you down. Just make sure you have skulks nearby that are aware of what you're doing. They'll get easy kills.

4. Battle gorge - No sorry, this doesn't mean spit, it means heal. 1 gorge plus 2 or 3 skulks = deadly. The gorge goes into battle first doing nothing but healing. As soon as marines start firing the skulks come running by. The gorge heals the skulks as they are being shot. The marines wasted the beginning of their ammo on the gorge, the little healing from the gorge keeps the skulks alive slightly longer and therefore have a higher chance of getting the kills.
  • meredith.randesmeredith.randes Join Date: 2010-01-29 Member: 70360Members
    wow no one didn't post anything in this topic for quite a while
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1642833:date=Aug 8 2007, 10:56 AM:name=asmodee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (asmodee @ Aug 8 2007, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1642833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I only have 4 tips right now.

1. Build chambers in smart locations - Build in vents and other areas strategically placed throughout a map that are not easily killed (basically in vents that are near places aliens will be fighting for). A great example is the vent near fusion hive in ns_tanith. No matter what your first hive is, you can be sure a chamber in that vent will be useful to lerks and fades no matter what that chamber is (mc/sc/dc). A celerity lerk/fade could always use an mc near by to keep up the pressure. SC for cloaking skulks in cargo, and dc for healing without requiring a gorge (like when fusion isn't your first hive and it's not up yet).

2. Do not build chambers directly under the hive - If you build them in the hive room, try to put them as far away from the seige spots as possible. It sucks to lose your chambers right when a seige starts firing, so put them back so at least you have your full chambers while fighting for your hive.

3. Use yourself as bait - Marines often think gorges are easy kill. And many (pub) marines will fall for the bait. Heal yourself for no reason right around a corner so a marine looks. Make sure he sees you and starts running. Bhop back around the corner (to avoid getting shot a few times). The marine will empty quite a bit of his ammo while chasing you down. Just make sure you have skulks nearby that are aware of what you're doing. They'll get easy kills.

4. Battle gorge - No sorry, this doesn't mean spit, it means heal. 1 gorge plus 2 or 3 skulks = deadly. The gorge goes into battle first doing nothing but healing. As soon as marines start firing the skulks come running by. The gorge heals the skulks as they are being shot. The marines wasted the beginning of their ammo on the gorge, the little healing from the gorge keeps the skulks alive slightly longer and therefore have a higher chance of getting the kills.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

isn't this the truth!

They are all solid points, especially number 4 stop spitting you pub gorges and heal the lifeforms that keep you alive! They can deal much more damage than you at 20 dmg a spit vs ~70 for a bite

Also conserve your energy, spitting at nodes is a stupid idea cause a lifeform might need you full bar in healing
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1749830:date=Jan 30 2010, 07:39 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jan 30 2010, 07:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749830"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->..at 20 dmg a spit vs ~70 for a bite

Also conserve your energy, spitting at nodes is a stupid idea cause a lifeform might need you full bar in healing<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

20 dmg?
    Fail! The new player thread is around the next corner!

Also spitting nodes can be a good idea, it's rare though..
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    I'm just guessing, using the fact that it takes like 5-6 spits to down a vanilla rine

if you want to provide specifics feel free

100 hp 30 armor which turns into 60 hp so 160 hp total / 5-6 spits == ~32

gaaad way to miss my overall gist and jump on a meaningless trivial error

spitting nodes is never a good idea, unless your around an mc and aren't going to run out of adren for actually useful stuff like healing. Honestly you should have a 2nd hive by 7 min so you can BB anways
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    I play offensive Gorge on some maps and generally it's only ever worth engaging Marines if:

A) You have an MC nearby and there's only 1 Marine
    B) You have backup

Tactics for A) are:

Place your MC out of sight of the enemy in a forward location at a key junction. Most of the time because of the MC placement you should always have Skulk backup coming through this location, so usually you can bait/tank a Marine while the Skulks ambush.

Begin firing at the Marine from long distance (lead-aiming). Works best down straight corridors with little cover where you can easily predict the dodge movements and second-guess the enemy to land a hit. Don't fire too many shots or they will see you have an MC backing you up. Heal yourself when your armour gets low (preferably ducking out of sight so they can't see you using more adrenaline than they think you have).

As they get closer you'll need to have a full bar to lay down your final volley. If there are no Skulks there to help out, or if the commander medspams, you'll need to do as much damage as you can before using the MC to get back to the Hive. As soon as you're back at the Hive tell everyone on your team to save the MC and head back to give backup. As soon as you get the res, you can lock this position down with a single OC. Any more is a waste of res. They will eventually break through, but they will have to invest a lot of resources in doing so, and lose a lot of Marines. It's great for feeding your teammates RFK.

The best spot for this is in Internal Access on Lost (if the starting Hive is Cargo), thanks to the long, thin corridors. You place the MC behind the U-bend so it can't be seen from Internal Access or Temp. Another good spot is Cargo on Tanith (with the MC tucked in between the crates on the floor, so you can escape to the Hive, but I only use this if the starting Hive is Fusion because it's a really vulnerable position for the MC). Another one is at the junction of Fluid Processing and Sector F just outside Smelter Hive, with the MC tucked in behind the entrance (although for this one I'll try it if I start at Smelter or Cooling, it's just that for Cooling you have to judge how safe it is to drop depending on how many rush Mineral). That last one works great with a couple of OCs, but never place then in the entrance or they'll be shot from distance, always round the corner.

---

General rules for Spitting are:
    - Never spit a Res Tower unless it's already on Red AND you have an MC. Otherwise it's a waste of time (in the sense that you could be fulfilling much more important roles with your time).
    - Only place an OC somewhere if you have an MC or DC nearby. MC lets you heal it and deal damage at the same time, DC heals you and the OC so you can deal more damage. It's rarely ever worth it otherwise.
    - Only ever spit a Marine if EITHER you have chamber/Skulk support OR he's at long-medium range (depending on your aim, and if you have Celerity) OR if he jumps you in close quarters, since killing him is the only way you're going to survive.
    - Spitting is also an accepted form of communication with many meanings ranging from "Bite this RT you ###### Skulk!" to "Look where I'm pointing! They're outside the effing Hive making a PG!" to "You! Yes, you! Stand over here so I can jump <i>on you</i> to get <i>up there</i>" and finally "We're outside your bayyyyyyse, we're outside your bayyyyyyse! You can't catch me 'cause I'm standing behind an Ooooonos!"
  • MuYeahMuYeah Join Date: 2006-12-26 Member: 59261Members
    Spit at shotgun marines to drop them one bite quicker.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749848:date=Jan 30 2010, 08:06 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jan 30 2010, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm just guessing, using the fact that it takes like 5-6 spits to down a vanilla rine<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Spit is 30 dmg. Thus landing even a single spit against an armoless marine brings him below the 75 dmg bite. Excellent stuff for fighting against those stronger pushes and wasting tons of marine res. Spitting nodes is cool also, although I wouldn't try it unless the node has something like 2 bars left. Spitting is also a great way to replace the lerk in the first minute of the game when the first push hits your nodes.

Use the adren management properly. Know that healing your armor is double the effective as healing your hp. Use the innate regen whenever you aren't in direct threat, use only the spare adren for your healing. I use celerity and rarely need MC support until those fades are out and need healing at 2nd hive.

In theory you can blow up a 4 mine PG with a gorge by spitting the first mine and then running into the rest while healspraying. The skulks should follow once you've blown up everything you find. It takes some pretty neat team coordination to get the opening though, so I haven't had that many chances to execute it properly. Still, it's a game saver if you can free the 2nd hive with it early enough. Bombing the PGs with celerity gorge is also extemely effective way of wasting marines 10+ res in mines in no time.

While hivegorging, scout ahead. Most hives allow you to be quite liberal with your scouting position and still be within a few seconds from spitting the hive. For example in sub hive in Veil it's not such a bad idea to keep your eyes overlook doorway as long as you know the system route is clear. If you can afford MC at hive, go for celerity as it provides you more scouting ability and some survivability on certain hive areas. Otherwise adren is a good pick.

Use skulklift or gestate at ceiling to get yourself into devastating bbomb positions. For example Veil doubleres is a pain to push as a marine if the vents are open and there's a gorge upstairs. You can also try similar stuff in origin lava siegespot, many places in lucid and so on. Use your imagination.

Plan your escape route and know how to bhop. If you're trapped, run into any kind of cover and heal up as much as you can. The marines aren't happy running forward with possible skulk ambushes around, so the chances are you'll last long enough to get skulk support or at least spread the marines a bit and leave an opening for the skulks.
    when spitting mines, I've found it's best to hop and spit coming down from the jump...

Really helps with the reg on the mines I've found