[NS: Source] - Own Voice Codec?

FFSkyriderFFSkyrider Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58211Members
Is it possible that NS: Source could have It's own Voice Codec build in? The current Voice Codec that the Source Engine is using is (no offensive) total crap. For some microphones you can hear somewhat clearly, but in a lot of them, you don't even understand of what the people are saying. As this is a team game, voice is very important.

Comments

• wankalotwankalot Join Date: 2005-02-05 Member: 39872Members
    yeah i agree... ive given up using my mic in source games. People just reply "sorry man cant hear ya" etc. a new codec would be good.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The voice codec in CSS really does a lot to prevent my enjoyment of that game. I'm spoiled by NS, and I'd expect a similarly usable voice codec in whatever comes next for NS players.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    It's not possible without access to stuff not in the SDK. Valve simply didn't release the code needed to make a new codec, and they have no plans of implementing speex again (I asked)
  • FFSkyriderFFSkyrider Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58211Members
    edited November 2006
    <!--quoteo(post=1573556:date=Nov 5 2006, 09:28 AM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(devicenull @ Nov 5 2006, 09:28 AM) [snapback]1573556[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    It's not possible without access to stuff not in the SDK. Valve simply didn't release the code needed to make a new codec, and they have no plans of implementing speex again (I asked)
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That doesn't mean the team can't put their own voice codec in the modification itself. I bet myself it would take more time / effort to do so, but I believe it is possible.
  • kormendikormendi Join Date: 2003-05-26 Member: 16726Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Won't they have access to the whole of the engine when making NS2 through licensing, etc... I mean, I assume that much considering its going to be a commercial endeavor.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This discussion forum is for NS:S not NS2.

NS:S is the free mod version of NS on the source engine, please don't confuse this with NS2 which is the retail story being created.
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1573564:date=Nov 5 2006, 04:11 AM:name=FFSkyrider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FFSkyrider @ Nov 5 2006, 04:11 AM) [snapback]1573564[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    That doesn't mean the team can't put their own voice codec in the modification itself. I bet myself it would take more time / effort to do so, but I believe it is possible.

It's not. There's a certain interface needed to implement a voice codec. We don't know what this interface is. Without this interface, there is no way to add a custom codec. I've already done research into this for another mod.
  • FFSkyriderFFSkyrider Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58211Members
    That's a big shame.. I just hope VALve / Steam would get a new Voice Codec before NS: Source gets released.
  • kormendikormendi Join Date: 2003-05-26 Member: 16726Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1573923:date=Nov 6 2006, 08:01 AM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soul_Rider @ Nov 6 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]1573923[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

NS:S is the free mod version of NS on the source engine, please don't confuse this with NS2 which is the retail story being created.
    I'm not confusing the two. I simply assumed that because Flayra announced that UWE would be making NS2 instead of NS:S that this and other NS:S idea topics would be applicable to NS2.

But maybe that is where I am wrong. Is NS:S going to be made?
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1573923:date=Nov 6 2006, 01:01 PM:name=Soul_Rider)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soul_Rider @ Nov 6 2006, 01:01 PM) [snapback]1573923[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Read Flayra's blogs and forums posts. NS2 is going to happen, NS:S probably won't.

This NS:S I&S board was made before the UWE annoucements. Just use this board until a mod change the ":S" in NS:S to "2".