Motion tracking very early in the game can often be a pain for all skulk ambushers so here is my ideas for changes:
(a few has been mentioned before, some are modified ideas and some are new) Motion tracking Level 1
Cheap but takes long time to research
2 sec update ratio for normal moving aliens
2-4 sec update ratio for slow walking aliens
- Can only see moving aliens within a certain (short) range but still far enough to be useful
- Cannot see cloaking aliens, moving or notMotion tracking Level 2
Costs quite a bit more but is researched fast
1.5s update ratio (normal alien speed)
2.5-3s update ratio (slow alien speed)
- Can see cloaked aliens in direct sight to the marine but only when the alien moves.Motion tracking Level 3
1 sec for normal speed and 2 sec for slow moving aliens.
- Can now see cloaked non-moving aliens in direct sight.
- Can see normal-speed moving cloaked aliens out of direct sight, but still not still-standing or slow moving cloaked ones.Why this is good:
The original motion tracking (can't remember it's precise specs though) is till there but it takes a while and a little bit more resources to get to that level.
- Balances early game play better but still keeps the advantages of the original one in the end game.
It warns the marines if an unsuspecting alien is moving towards them so they can shoot it, but still gives the careful ambushing skulk an advantage because it can then still go unnoticed and get an opportunity to kill the marines. Slowly walking aliens
The commanders choice to upgrade the Motion Tracker forces the aliens to change tactics a bit (unless they are so powerful they don't need to be more careful) The marines can then better detect hiding aliens Advantage to cloaking aliens:
In the early game, cloaking aliens can counter-attack the marines MT. Later when they can be seen by the marines if they are in direct sight, the aliens can change tactics to hide behind obstacles to avoid being seen.
Another aspect that is enhanced is the slow-walking mode. Currently it's only function is to avoid giving out noise, but in level 3 the aliens can slowly walk away from the aliens and remain unseen for their MT. For examples the gorges can avoid getting bullied.Alternative ideas
Make the update ratio of the motion-circle dependent on the distance between the marine and the alien.