How could it be made competetive?
Before someone says "OMG COMBUT SUKZZZ pR0S PLEAY NS n00|3", don't.
Combat as it stands is hugely alien baised and is exceedingly frustrating to play as marines.
However, it's fine for most pubs because of the large skill imbalances found on public servers.
But on competetive play, (the last match of combat I can remember is over a year ago I think back in UGL) marines never stand a chance.
The problems I can think off the top of my head with competetive combat:
- Aliens have upper hand at start, they just camp in hive room. Aliens in hive room have an advantage over basic marines. The +5 armor does help with this though.
- You can TK someone stealing any exp from the other team.
- Focus owns, spending a point on a welder is not practical. Furthermore welding mid combat is often sucidal.
- HA is awful because it is so slow. By the time you hit the hive, die, and respawn, the hive can easily be re-healed in that time by one gorge. On top of this, if the aliens are smart they will just wreck the CC if they know the HA are more than halfway to the hive. In regular NS, the problem of slow heavies are phase gates.
- Because HA sucks, the only other choice is JP. JP is an excellent choice regardless, because it can cover the map, attack and defend, and put constant pressure on the hive.
- Webs and Xeno are godlike in NS. Normally the best abilities in the game, they can come at lv. 5 and lv. 3, respectively. These two abilities alone are the biggest problem in combat, and guarentee that marines cannot win.
- Late game marine tech doesn't even compare to late game alien tech in combat.
- The "accessory" tree for marines is utterly worthless, save resupply and perhaps a welder marine.
What other problems are there in combat? Did I miss any? And feel free to post ideas for possible solutions too.