A small guide
Installing NS, a simple 2 step guide.
- Step 1:
- Setting up steam, a steam account and Half-Life (not "Half-Life:Source")
- Download and install steam
- once steam has installed and updated itself launch it and create a steam account
- If you don't have a retail copy of Half-Life
- make sure steam is running then open this link
- click purchase and let steam guide you through the process
- If you have a retail copy of Half-Life
- open steam and select "Browse Games" now select "Register a product..."
- Enter your CD-key
- valid keys come from:
- Half-Life Bestseller Series
- Half-Life Game of the Year Edition
- Half-Life Anthology
- Half-Life Generation
- Half-Life 2 Silver&Gold
- Counter-Strike Retail
- the following products don't include a Half-Life key:
- Half-Life 2 Retail
- Half-Life 2 Bronze
- Half-Life 2 EP1 Retail
- Counter-Strike Condition Zero
- The Orange Box
- Choose "Half-Life" from the "Play Games" tab and select install
- As soon as "Half-Life" has been finished downloading you are done with step 1
- Step 2:
- You should now have a Copy of "Half-Life" registered to your steam account
- Downloading NS and setting it up
- Download NS
- Run "Half-Life" (not "Half-Life:Source")
- Set up your Video and Audio options
- Start the "Half-Life" training level
- Close Half-Life and exit Steam
- Execute the NS installer
- Browse to your Half-Life folder "C:\steam\steamapps\steam_id\half-life"; Replace steam_id with the ID you used to register with steam
- Install NS
- Run steam again, If everything is in order you can select "Natural Selection" from your "Play games" tab, do so
- Set up your config and join a server
Welcome to the World of NS, the rest is up to you
- Common problems:
- Error message: NS does not support software mode.
- Solution: Go to your video options and select either opengl or d3d as video mode.
- If you cannot select either update your video drivers
- Error:I only see black when entering the command console and also some texture overlays are completely black.
- Solution: Open the console and enter "cl_gammaramp 0" without the "".
If this guide didn't help you, maybe the power of pictures
Edit: Whee updated again to include a small "How to buy over steam section"
Edit: I cant believe I did update this thing after soo many years :(
Post edited by Unknown User on
QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Jul 30 2008, 03:51 PM) »
The only similarity to Ground Control is that instead of arriving from a building, your dudes arrive from the sky. Why does that merit a meh?
QUOTE(puzl @ Apr 20 2007, 04:38 PM) »
You can mince it anyway you like, but if a government can take it a way then it doesn't really matter if it is a right or a privilege, does it?