Pics to be updated according to progress [Edited April 15, 2005]The floorplan below will have to undergo serious changes to balance it, but almost all of the areas will be kept (but reshuffled). The current area being worked on is the Gospel Generator Hive @ 60% complete. Still to do in this area are the infestation, which should reduce r_speeds as it swallows up half of the faces on two of the generators; the two vent exits from the hive, one of which will be accessible by walking Marines once welded; the extension of the vent from one of the exits within the hiveroom; a platform for Marines to shoot at the Hive from distance and height (to balance out all of the healspots, lerk perches, dark areas etc. that would make this Hive a bit of an Alien paradise); and finally a bit of work on the Generators themselves, such as a func_conveyor and some dynamic lighting.
As I've got past 50% of the floorplan
build (ie box corridors etc.) I feel I'm able to start a WIP thread to get feedback and just show you what I've been doing. Below is the plan of things to come.
* Any areas drawn freeform are as of yet not started.
* Blue lines give you a rough
ida of the corridor and room system.
* The blue dotted line is a possible corridor I may add.
* Pink dotted lines are vents (none of which are started).
* The green question mark is where there's space for a room, which may make it a bit less boring getting to the Sewage Control Hive.
* The unlabelled green section is the Habitat Ring.
* The yellow hazard area denotes a lift (that's elevator for you Yanks
* The green hazard line denotes a weldable door.
* The red dots (you guessed it!) are RTs, however there seem to be 11, which I'll be reducing. Gimme feedback on which ones should stay.
* Pressure Control and the Pump Station are basically siege rooms as glorified themed corridors. Hopefully they won't be big enough for farmage, so tough! However there's currently no siege location for Generator Hive, I'll need to work on that...
There are also a few screenies of some of my finished (except the lighting) areas. The first is the corridor linking the MarineStart with the Canteen, Cargo Bay and leading onto another corridor towards the Airlock.
Also shown are the Service Shafts linking a corridor beside the Canteen (bottom of map but not labelled!) and SatCom
It's a bit Star Destroyer
but don't worry the rest of the level won't be this clean
Here's some non onos-friendly Service Shafts that should slow down the Marine's progress towards one of the Hives early on in the game.
Up and to the left, looking back onto the ladder...
I need to reallign the blue triangles in some cases, and I'm thinking about changing the texture on these and on the grey (and overstretched) shaft and ladder exit trims.
Sorry about the lack of lighting, I'm pretty much doing that last so I can control the overall look of the level more easily. But those fans of texture lighting will be pleased to know I'll be experimenting with this technique, hopefully to give some original and interesting effects!